Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
Cactusgod
Enthusiast
Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
600- Darker Font?

I don't see any options to change the font darkness, and I'm sure there isn't one, but I can't help but ask...is there a way to do this using any program? I'm using Calibre to convert PDF books to Epub, and the words are just not dark enough for my tastes, it seems to trouble my eyes. I'm thinking I might just be one of those super sensitive folk who need a PRS-300 instead, but if anyone has any other suggestions with changing the font darkness, please let me know!
Cactusgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Some fonts seem to be darker than others. You can check this thread for a tutorial on how to change fonts on ePub files

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36361
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
Some fonts seem to be darker than others. You can check this thread for a tutorial on how to change fonts on ePub files

I agree about some fonts being darker than others. One of the reasons I format my ebooks as PDFs is so that I can control the fonts that display on my reader (I'm not comfortable tinkering with the default fonts on my reader).

Due to darkness issues I started using Georgia as my serif font. It renders much darker than Thorndale (the font I used to use as my serif font, its similar to Times New Roman). Best thing to do is try many different fonts to see how they display on your reader.

To provide an example:

This text is in the Times New Roman typeface.

This text is in the Georgia typeface.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:29 PM   #4
Cactusgod
Enthusiast
Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post

Hey thanks for this! I checked out the post and I'm definitely going to be trying this immediately, after the new year that is ;p. So, using this method, there's no actual way to make Calibre use the bold version of the font? Or does anyone know if thats possible?
Old 12-31-2009, 11:30 PM   #5
Cactusgod
Enthusiast

Wait, so far all of my books are PDF, but I've converted them to epub because I thought they had to be for the reader. How do you simply change the font on the PDF?
Advert