Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
skidawayme
skidawayme began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Question Cannot Add Books

Hello:

I'm brand new to Calibre. Have gone through the tutorial but cannot figure out how to download books from my Kindle or Kindle for PC. I tried to drag and drop from the Kindle for PC but it didn't work. Would really appreciate some help.

Thanks,
Jane
skidawayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Your K4PC books are in Documents/My Kindle Content is that where you tried grabbing books from when you did the drag 'n drop?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidawayme View Post
Hello:

I'm brand new to Calibre. Have gone through the tutorial but cannot figure out how to download books from my Kindle or Kindle for PC. I tried to drag and drop from the Kindle for PC but it didn't work. Would really appreciate some help.

Thanks,
Jane
Kindle? original? 2,3,4 (NT,Touch), Fire?
It helps to Know what model for specific help.

Can you see the books (on the Kindle) in your PC's File browser?
Download a non-Kindle/Amazon book (one without DRM) from someplace like the MR Library ad see if you can add that to the Library.
If you are viewing the Book list in Device view: Select the Book(s): right-click: Add to Library

Last edited by theducks; 03-07-2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Brainstorm
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
skidawayme

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Your K4PC books are in Documents/My Kindle Content is that where you tried grabbing books from when you did the drag 'n drop?
I went there and opened the file and have a duplicate of the library that I get when I open the Kindle for PC. I've tried to drag books onto the Calibre desktop and nothing happens.

I've installed Calibre twice, just in case that was the problem.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
skidawayme

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Kindle? original? 2,3,4 (NT,Touch), Fire?
It helps to Know what model for specific help.

Can you see the books (on the Kindle) in your PC's File browser?
Download a non-Kindle/Amazon book (one without DRM) from someplace like the MR Library ad see if you can add that to the Library.
If you are viewing the Book list in Device view: Select the Book(s): right-click: Add to Library
First of all, I have a Kindle 3.3.

I can see all the books in the K4PC library.

I'm afraid I don't know what the MR library is. I googled it but couldn't find anything that seems relevant.

I also don't know what device view is. I've looked through the program and can't find any buttons or menus for it.

When you say to select the book, where is that?

Beginning to feel extremely stupid and thinking this program might be beyond me.

Thanks for your help,
Jane
Advert
Old 03-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
First of all, I have a Kindle 3.3.

I can see all the books in the K4PC library.

I'm afraid I don't know what the MR library is. I googled it but couldn't find anything that seems relevant.

I also don't know what device view is. I've looked through the program and can't find any buttons or menus for it.

When you say to select the book, where is that?

Beginning to feel extremely stupid and thinking this program might be beyond me.

Thanks for your help,
Jane
Have you viewed the Tutorial by Kovid. That is a great demonstration of the interface and its use.

Seeing Books listed in Kindle-PC is not seeing the actual books. Those are located in the folder specified in Message 2 by AnimicOak
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
The Mobile Read Library, the books posted here (look for the ebooks link in the blue bar under the MobileRead logo).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
skidawayme

Thanks to both of you for the help. My problem was that there were no books downloaded to the K4PC. I was evidently trying to drag empty files. Now, I'm in business.

Thanks again.
Jane