Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-12-2011, 04:21 PM   #61
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Now the other part is that you apparently can't read what was written. Go back read again, see what I said. Never one did I say the Kindle Fire is not a Tablet. If I did please point it out.
You said: "It doesn't meet the requirements of an Android tablet"
If that wasn't what you meant, then I have no idea what you did mean.
GPS and camera are not requirements for an Android tablet.

Edit: The requirements are here:
http://static.googleusercontent.com/...-2.3.3-cdd.pdf
Items that a required for a system to be considered Android compatible are marked MUST.
GPS and so on are not MUST items. They are SHOULD items, defined as:

SHOULD This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there
may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances to ignore a
particular item, but the full implications must be understood and
carefully weighed before choosing a different course.

Last edited by murraypaul; 10-12-2011 at 04:24 PM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #62
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
A rooted Nook Color doesn't have a camera, gps or gyroscope.
Does that mean it isn't an Android tablet?
What is it then?
I would say no, for the same reasons, because it was not sold as that and does not have those capabilities. It, like the Kindle Fire was created, programmed and sold specifically to sell media content from the seller.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #63
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I would say no, for the same reasons, because it was not sold as that and does not have those capabilities. It, like the Kindle Fire was created, programmed and sold specifically to sell media content from the seller.
And by rooting it, it has been 'freed' from those restrictions.
It is a tablet. It runs Android. But it isn't an Android Tablet?
Sounds a bit Zen.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #64
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You said: "It doesn't meet the requirements of an Android tablet"
If that wasn't what you meant, then I have no idea what you did mean.
GPS and camera are not requirements for an Android tablet.
Oopsie, left the generic out.

But regardless of that my point still stands, it is not designed, intended, or sold as a generic Android table ... or even as an Android tablet. It has a custom shell that is designed, intended and sold in order to be a platform for media sales from Amazon (including apps). It is not intended to be a generic android tablet because it doesn't have full hardware capabilities and the software, as provided does not support that usage. It can't even connect to the Android market, that by itself pretty much makes it a non-Android Tablet.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #65
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
Oopsie, left the generic out.

But regardless of that my point still stands, it is not designed, intended, or sold as a generic Android table ... or even as an Android tablet. It has a custom shell that is designed, intended and sold in order to be a platform for media sales from Amazon (including apps). It is not intended to be a generic android tablet because it doesn't have full hardware capabilities and the software, as provided does not support that usage. It can't even connect to the Android market, that by itself pretty much makes it a non-Android Tablet.
But if successfully rooted, like the Nook Color, that will no longer be the case. It will have access to the Google Market, like a NC/CM7 does.
Surely it is an Android Tablet under the skin, but has been locked down so that it cannot be used as an Android Tablet?
Advert
Old 10-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #66
kennyc

Quote:
And by rooting it, it has been 'freed' from those restrictions.
It is a tablet. It runs Android. But it isn't an Android Tablet?
Sounds a bit Zen.
Not at all. What I said stands. Hell you could probably rip android out and run linux if you like, that's down under Android anyway. A

And no rooting it does not change the fact that it is crippled and doesn't meet the requirements even an android phone has.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #67
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
And no rooting it does not change the fact that it is crippled and doesn't meet the requirements even an android phone has.
You keep saying requirements, even though I have shown you the actual Android requirements document which says that GPS et al are not required.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #68
kennyc

Quote:
But if successfully rooted, like the Nook Color, that will no longer be the case. It will have access to the Google Market, like a NC/CM7 does.
Surely it is an Android Tablet under the skin, but has been locked down so that it cannot be used as an Android Tablet?
We can on all day if you like, but you'll never be right. I can install a new porcessor, add a camera, maybe a GPS maybe then it will be a 747?

We are talking about the Kindle Fire, not a modified Kindle Fire. If you can comprehend that then we have something to talk about. If you want to continue to move the goal posts you can do it without me.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:46 PM   #69
kennyc

Quote:
You keep saying requirements, even though I have shown you the actual Android requirements document which says that GPS et al are not required.
That is not even the point. I've explained that to both of you.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #70
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
That is not even the point. I've explained that to both of you.
Clearly not very well.
What requirements does it not meet?
It can't be the fact that can only run approved apps, because you have said that even if rooted it still wouldn't meet these requirements, whatever they are.
I have no idea what you are trying to say.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #71
kennyc

Quote:
Clearly not very well.
What requirements does it not meet?
It can't be the fact that can only run approved apps, because you have said that even if rooted it still wouldn't meet these requirements, whatever they are.
I have no idea what you are trying to say.
Because you are completely off the point and topic, you just want to argue.

The Kindle Fire is NOT a generic Android Tablet. It is limited hardware and software wise, it has a custom UI, it designed for a specific purpose - to sell Amazon media.

P.S. you can bolt wheels on it and call it a car for all I care, but it's still not a car, not a 747 either.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:32 PM   #72
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
Because you are completely off the point and topic, you just want to argue.
I think this is the sort of conversation that could have been cleared up in about 10 seconds in person, but we are just talking (typing) past each other at this point, and don't appear to be getting any closer to understanding each other, so I'm happy to just drop it.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #73
kennyc

Oh, look. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=153239
Old 10-12-2011, 11:51 PM   #74
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
You guys need instant messenger so you can better throw insults at each other. I was excited to see people were posting to my thread so that I could learn something until I found it was just mud slinging.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:15 AM   #75
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
A device that does not meet google requirements is not allowed to use google apps, install google market or advertise as with google.
But is an android device so anyone saying Fire is not android tablet is mistaken yes google apps are not supported on it. But Google Apps does not equal Android.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apps, kindle fire