Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-29-2008, 01:40 AM   #1
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Bought a second Kindle!

I bought my first Kindle on December 2007. On January 2008 I wrote Squaretrade about insuring the Kindle and it was not possible. They started letting people insure it under PDAs a month after and they said I was too late for accidental damage (which royally _____ me off but that's another story).

The Kindle works perfectly and there is not one scratch on it. I just got a new one through the Oprah discount because I'm sure I'll be able to flip mine for $310 on Craigslist in a couple of weeks when the discount is gone. I can now take advantage of the accidental damage plan. Squaretrade sent me a half off coupon because they denied me adding the accidental damage plan, so it's 2 years warranty plus accidental damage for $48 (if I drop it, step on it, spill soda on it, it's a $50 replacement, unlimited times, during those two years... so one replacement is $98... cheaper than Amazon! ... two replacements would be $148 total or $74 each, and it keeps going down after that).

I don't use my Kindle as much as I'd like because I'm terrified of damaging it. Having that protection will allow it to use it a lot more
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:35 AM   #2
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Yay! Anything that gets you worrying less and reading more is a good thing!
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:37 AM   #3
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I have read half a book on the Kindle since December. That's IT. I don't want to use it And now I don't want to use it because since I know it's someone else's (because I plan to sell it) it doesn't feel mine anymore. I'll have MINE by Thursday!!

I've used the Kindle more than anything to learn how to do stuff with it. so I've used it a lot, just not to read (it lays under the bed on top of a book... that way I can't step on it, can't spill anything on it, can't drop it from anywhere, can't fling it off of a table, doesn't get dirty off the floor, etc.) I've learned tons about command lines.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 10-29-2008 at 02:51 AM.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:23 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
I have read half a book on the Kindle since December. That's IT. I don't want to use it And now I don't want to use it because since I know it's someone else's (because I plan to sell it) it doesn't feel mine anymore. I'll have MINE by Thursday!!
I hate to say it, but that's just silly. To not use a device because you think it might break you might as well not have it at all. What use does a working device do you if you don't use it?

I tell my wife the same thing about her jewelry. She is afraid to wear it because it is expensive and she might loose it. So... it does not good sitting on the counter either. You might as well not have it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
GatorDeb
Evangelist

Which is why I got another one
Old 10-29-2008, 09:59 PM   #6
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
With all of your magazines, newspapers, blogs, coverting and organizing, I was wondering how you found time to read books
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #7
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Which is why I got another one
I'm not making fun - but trying to understand. You were afraid to use the Kindle because you might break it - and that would mean buying another one.

So you bought another one?
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:08 PM   #8
GatorDeb
Evangelist

I'm selling my old one. When I bought the first Kindle Squaretrade didn't offer Accidental Damage Handling or a regular warranty for it. They started covering the Kindle TWO months after I bought mine and you have to buy the ADH before a month passes before the purchase. They wouldn't budge or backdate it. So I'm covering the new Kindle with 2 years of ADH for $48 + $50 per incident (if there are any).

A replacement Kindle is $160 at the least... one replacement through Squaretrade is $98 total (and $50 for each additional one).
Old 10-29-2008, 10:10 PM   #9
GatorDeb
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
With all of your magazines, newspapers, blogs, coverting and organizing, I was wondering how you found time to read books
Story of my life I'm sure I'm part OCD and instead of washing my hands constantly I collect stuff I sooo want to get a bumper sticker that says "OCD and proud of it and proud of it" but I don't want it to be misconstrued as making fun of those who suffer constrictions in their life because of it.

Like I tell those around me that ask me about it... the point is not to read the books, listen to the music, or watch the movies... it's about having them

Last edited by GatorDeb; 10-29-2008 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:12 PM   #10
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I'm selling my old one. When I bought the first Kindle Squaretrade didn't offer Accidental Damage Handling or a regular warranty for it. They started covering the Kindle TWO months after I bought mine and you have to buy the ADH before a month passes before the purchase. They wouldn't budge or backdate it. So I'm covering the new Kindle with 2 years of ADH for $48 + $50 per incident (if there are any).

A replacement Kindle is $160 at the least... one replacement through Squaretrade is $98 total (and $50 for each additional one).
I get it - sorry.
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:14 PM   #11
GatorDeb
Evangelist

Got here today! I'll be selling the other one in two weeks (anyone interested in a perfect condition Kindle for $310 + shipping or $360 with Squaretrade warranty until April 2010?)

It had a black line on the lower left corner of the screen It washed off. If I were to apply enough pressure cleaning it so that the substrate would break that would be instantaneous, right? I.e. it doesn't weaken over time until it breaks off? I was so bummed that the new shiny Kindle was already less than perfect
Old 10-31-2008, 12:12 AM   #12
DickyCheung22
Enthusiast
DickyCheung22 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is that replacement from Squaretrade only $98???
DickyCheung22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:35 AM   #13
GatorDeb
Evangelist

Well I have a 50% off coupon from Squaretrade (one use only) so ADH + Warranty is $48 instead of $96 for two years, and you can replace it unlimited times in those two years if you break it for any reason while in normal use (i.e. if you drop it into the pool it might not be covered) for $50 each time. So if I replace it once that's $96 out of pocket for me. For someone who pays the $96 that'd be $146 out of pocket for one (still cheaper than Amazon) and each additional replacement is cheaper (if you replace it twice that's $196 for both, or $98 each).