Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-20-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
yportne
yportne began at the beginning.

Device: none
What are the best fonts for the pocket pro?

Just curious what folks are using... I've been leaning towards fontin and tuffy. Sample pictures of the ones I've considered attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Font Samples.zip (1.85 MB, 508 views)
yportne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Deja and times for me looks better (and until the mail guy deliver my PP i think im gonna stick with those)
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
How do you change the font to a custom one?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
yportne
yportne began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
How do you change the font to a custom one?
Direction for using custom fonts:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EZ_R...e_font_library

Not all formats let you use the custom fonts, but MOBI does and thats mostly what I have...
yportne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks for those font samples!

I vote for times.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2009, 06:53 PM   #6
tamzilla
Zealot
tamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with others

Device: nook, Ipod touch
I really like Lido STF http://www.dafont.com/lido-stf-ce.font. It's very similar to times, except it's a little taller and the thin stokes aren't quite as thin as time.
tamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:50 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yportne View Post
Just curious what folks are using... I've been leaning towards fontin and tuffy. Sample pictures of the ones I've considered attached.
if you want a full serif font, Times is pretty good. If you want a font that's sort of in-between, Fontin is very good. The rest are not good enough (IMHO) as a body font.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
I made a 5" PDF in Bookman Old Style (both 8pt and 9pt), and it reads VERY well.

The first image is Bill the Galactic Hero Book 3 (Bookman 8pt)
The second pic is Bill the Galactic Hero Book 2 (Bookman 9pt)

--edit - It might help if I hit the UPLOAD button.. DOH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0084.JPG
Views:	600
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	36192   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0085.JPG
Views:	588
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	36193  
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:11 PM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks for your efforts, griffinwing.

Were those shots of a Pocket Pro?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:29 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post

Not just any Pocket Pro, but a blue one.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:10 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yportne View Post
Direction for using custom fonts:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EZ_R...e_font_library

Not all formats let you use the custom fonts, but MOBI does and thats mostly what I have...
Doesn't work for me...

I put the fonts (Deja and Fontin) in the fonts directory, but I still can't select it...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:42 AM   #12
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Not just any Pocket Pro, but a blue one.

Dale
Got it in one.

I'm not certain if embedded fonts of a PDF will read the same as an installed font on the liseuse, but I really don't see where there could be that much difference.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:03 AM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Doesn't work for me...

I put the fonts (Deja and Fontin) in the fonts directory, but I still can't select it...
For the default font you need to put the fonts in the \fonts folder however, for mobi you need to put the fonts in \fonts\index (you can make a copy of the font files)

For the default font you can select any of the various font faces including bold and/or italic as your font assuming you have them loaded. This can be done from the main menu by selecting settings.

For the mobi use there must be all 4 font files present and they must have end in the letters specified or nothing will work. And you don't select them in the system menu but rather in the mobi application itself. The new font should show up in the list.

Exactly what problem are you having? Show the content of the folder in your message to help find the problem you are having.

Dale
Old 09-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #14
tamzilla
Zealot
tamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with others

Device: nook, Ipod touch
I've found out, by accident, that you don't actually need to have a separate copy of the font files in the \fonts\index folder to have the fonts show up in mobi. You must have the \fonts\index folder on the SD card and you must have all 4 font files with the correct endings on the name, but you can just have them in the \fonts directory. At least this works for me on the Pocket Pro with the latest firmware.

I haven't tried having the font files in the \fonts\index folder but not the main \fonts folder.

--edit, actually the \fonts\index directory doesn't seem to be required either, just having the four font files with the correct names in the \fonts directory. This might just be for the Pocket Pro though.

Last edited by tamzilla; 09-22-2009 at 08:13 AM. Reason: corrected directory name.
tamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

that's good news for the pocket pro. It will help in making things less complicated. It may be that the pocket pro has solved the problem of having multiple embedded font sets in the firmware. The basic model seems to have a set of fonts for mobi and another set of fonts for fb2 and the system fonts with nothing shared between the sets. They seem to have consolidated this with the pocket pro, at least I hope so.