Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #16
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
hey! it's part of the learning experience!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:02 PM   #17
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
The Sony LRF format is great for keeping you where you want to be. In a given font size page 145 will always start with the same words. Not so with Mobipocket (or the Amazon Kindle format that is based on Mobipocket.) Given the same font and font size, does the nook maintain consistent page registeration?
The Kindle uses 'location' markers, which will always go to the same text. But you don't get page numbers.

The nook seems to follow the 505's lead and behaves pretty much the same way. The ePub/PDF support via ADE is pretty much identical to the 505 too, which actually makes for a surprisingly consistent experience.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 08:18 PM   #18
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Have you been able to purchase an ePub on B/N and transfer it or read it on your sony yet? Or are they still DRM locked
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:30 PM   #19
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Have you been able to purchase an ePub on B/N and transfer it or read it on your sony yet? Or are they still DRM locked
B&N is sticking with the name and CC# scheme of DRM, and won't be readable on other devices until:

A) they go ePub (newspapers/magazines are, but I don't think all the books are yet),
B) the Adobe Digital Editions SDK update gets out there and Sony pushes out a firmware update to include it.

I will comment that the B&N Newspaper subscriptions seem to be DRM-free, so those should actually work. I can double-check later tonight.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #20
WookieReader
WookieReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iliad 2nd Ed/iPhone
I went and looked at one today at B&N. I tried the Sony 600 but compared to my PRS-505, it just felt like reading a glossy magazine rather than paper. Nothing wrong with that, just more of a sheen to the surface.

The Nook I was very impressed with. It should do well. Very intuitive in the limited time I spent with it. I agree with others that the Nook and Sony PRS-505 have similar contrast and readability, while the Kindle DX and Sony 600 do not have as much contrast. I really like contrast and 'black-er' letters which just seems easier to me.
WookieReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 10:29 PM   #21
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Kolenka, that would be great. I'm sure there are other people on the forum that would be interested in that too =)

If their DRM isn't bloated enough to prohibit that and B/N can match the AMZN prices (which I doubt) then I'll have a K2 for sale
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:32 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsjwmom View Post
Thanks! I'm about to go ahead with buying a PRS-505, but am hesitating for some reason. I think I need to get over craving nook just because it's new and cool, lol.
The nook may be new, but given how slow it is, it's not cool.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:11 PM   #23
retroreader
retroreader began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, sony 505, nook, iphone
Having a pretty bad out of box experience ...

... having wrestled through the pretty complex clear plastic consumer packaging, I'm currently unable to register. I've got three out of four bars, and says "can't connect at this time" ... meanwhile, can't figure out how to use it w/out registering.

... we'll see, but Kindle was WAY easier to use/register ...

dme
retroreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:29 PM   #24
retroreader
retroreader began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, sony 505, nook, iphone
Ok, got it registered via wi-fi (a plus) ... finding the screen at the bottom strangely reminiscent of the Kindle 1 experience. Also noticing first book I searched for (Agatha Christie titles were ~$1 more expensive than Amazon.
retroreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:47 PM   #25
gabekaplan
gabekaplan began at the beginning.

Device: nook
how to load ebook purchased for kindle4pc onto nook

Ok, I pre-ordered the nook because it looked cool and new and shiny, and I'm a guy. Then, I did what I always do when I decide to throw decent amounts of treasure at a shiny object, I researched the doodoo out of it. What I found was that the biggest complaint about the nook was the cost of the ebooks on B&N, especially when compared to the same ebooks on Amazon. So, thought I, I'll just buy the ebooks I want on Amazon (after downloading their free Kindle for PC) and then load them onto my shiny new toy. (Insert chuckles from those far more learned than I, here). Little did I know about DRM protection, and Amazon's stranglehold on all their content.

So, I did more research and I read about mobidedrm, and calibre, and other mind-numbingly boring topics until blood began to dribble out of my left eye. It seems that in order to put the ebook (that I paid for) onto the ereader (that i paid for) I need to do something that is quite possibly illegal. Just doesn't seem right. And why would Amazon be opposed to opening up their ebook market to more people and more profits??

Can anyone out there help me? The conclusion I have come up with thus far, and it is a shaky conclusion at best, is that I need to find a PID for my Kindle for PC and then I should be able to use software to remove the DRM, and then convert it using Calibre into .mobi or .epub which I can then load onto my nook. Does that even sound right?
gabekaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:31 AM   #26
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

Quote:
Kolenka, that would be great. I'm sure there are other people on the forum that would be interested in that too =)

If their DRM isn't bloated enough to prohibit that and B/N can match the AMZN prices (which I doubt) then I'll have a K2 for sale
Well, last I heard, B&N and Adobe are really pushing to get this DRM scheme into the SDK (because it is different from what ADE currently uses, and apparently Adobe was convinced it was simple enough to include as an option for sellers and devices).

As for newspapers, the copy of the Washington Post I grabbed to tinker with seems to work just fine with the 505 I already have. I'd practically say that the newspapers seem to be DRM free, which makes sense since 100% of their money comes from day-0 sales.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:35 AM   #27
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabekaplan View Post
Can anyone out there help me? The conclusion I have come up with thus far, and it is a shaky conclusion at best, is that I need to find a PID for my Kindle for PC and then I should be able to use software to remove the DRM, and then convert it using Calibre into .mobi or .epub which I can then load onto my nook. Does that even sound right?
Kinda. They would need to be stripped, then converted into mobi format, So far, no one has been able to find the PID on the "kindle for pc" app.

Therefore, you won't be able to "liberate" any of your books to use on the nook.

Of course, all of that is illegal. I'm just sayin'........

PS.......Welcome to MobileRead. Stick around. Lots to learn and lots of free books here to download....drm free.

Last edited by desertgrandma; 12-10-2009 at 01:36 AM. Reason: addendum
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:45 AM   #28
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:

It looks like they're going to price match Amazon but I've already read that you'll have pay sales tax on the books because B&N has physical stores. Since each country in the country may have a different sales tax rate, it would be hard for them to find a price at which to sell the books to keep the total at $9.99 with tax.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote