Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 12:54 AM   #1
rwizard
Connoisseur
rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone, waiting for reviews on the Notionink Adam
Barnes and Noble reader software

Well, I was curious and downloaded a free ebook from B&N and their reader software. The reader software appears to try to mimic the nook as much as possible. It connects directly to the B&N store to access your library there and will download any book you have "purchased" from them. So far I have not found any way to open other books from the B&N software (I downloaded a free EPUB book from baen.com to try to find a way to get it to work but there is no file menu and placing the book in the same directory as the other books downloaded by the software does not cause it to see the book even after a restart). But the software already handles EPUB with the B&N DRM.

I have only tried the PC version of the software.
rwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:58 AM   #2
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Funny you should mention that -- this just popped up in my rss reader:

Quote:
Although the eReader software that the B&N eReader is based on is solid, Barnes and Noble obviously made some changes to it, both visually and functionally (did I mention the Wikipedia thing?).

Unfortunately, the bug I hit is this:

I like big books. Neal Stephenson’s Cryptonomicon. Dan Simmons’ Drood and Carrion Comfort. Stephen King’s uncut version of The Stand. Things like that. And when you load one of these books into the B&N software on your iPhone, well, it has trouble. If you click the Home button on your iPhone with your big juicy book still open, the next time you open the software, it thinks for a minute or so, and then closes.

And the only way to re-open the reader software . . . is to reinstall it.
Quote:
Your intrepid Gear Diary team is On the Case, trying to get hold of the appropriate people at B&N and find out what the heck is going on. We’ll keep you posted. In the meantime, just be cautious.

And don’t get me started on the fact that I can’t read my Fictionwise/eReader books in this app, either …
http://www.geardiary.com/2009/12/08/...phone-ereader/
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:03 AM   #3
rwizard
Connoisseur
rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone, waiting for reviews on the Notionink Adam
Interesting.
rwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
tmgplc
Enthusiast
tmgplc began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, Kindle Fire 7" (2014)
I would love an answer to this question as well since I would like to read a few Shortcovers epub titles in the BN ereader software on my Blackberry.
tmgplc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
Propheous
Connoisseur
Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwizard View Post
Well, I was curious and downloaded a free ebook from B&N and their reader software. The reader software appears to try to mimic the nook as much as possible. It connects directly to the B&N store to access your library there and will download any book you have "purchased" from them. So far I have not found any way to open other books from the B&N software (I downloaded a free EPUB book from baen.com to try to find a way to get it to work but there is no file menu and placing the book in the same directory as the other books downloaded by the software does not cause it to see the book even after a restart). But the software already handles EPUB with the B&N DRM.

I have only tried the PC version of the software.
This through me off as well and when I contacted tech support nad they showed me what I had to do I smacked myself.

There is a My Stuff in your library section. When you go into there there is a button at the top of the screen that adds new material.

You can drag a book file into the software but it only allows you read it, and doesn't seem to add it to your library that way. I have made B&N aware of this bug and they will hopefully get it fixed soon.
Propheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwizard View Post
Well, I was curious and downloaded a free ebook from B&N and their reader software. The reader software appears to try to mimic the nook as much as possible.
So how slow is the B&N app? If it's trying to mimic the nook, then it has to be slow.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So how slow is the B&N app? If it's trying to mimic the nook, then it has to be slow.
lol, it's actually pretty quick on Snow Leopard-I like the more minimalist look it has compared to how Adobe's reader seems to take over the screen. And I also managed to open up my own stuff in it-somehow it became the default for some format.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote