Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-04-2013, 01:00 AM   #46
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinmaine View Post
twobob, would you be willing to post the image to somewhere so I could play with it also please? I realize it's not any finished product, just for testing purposes..
@twobob: Let's put it in the drpbox.KnetConnect.com/KeK resource pool.

I'll add your pub-key there and contact you about the details when I get up tomorrow.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #47
timb.us
Enthusiast
timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPad 2
@twobob Thanks buddy! I'll give this a whirl this morning and report back.
timb.us is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #48
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
@twobob: Let's put it in the drpbox.KnetConnect.com/KeK resource pool.

I'll add your pub-key there and contact you about the details when I get up tomorrow.
Understood.

Ill try to think of some sensible way of not letting this get "old"
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #49
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timb.us View Post
@twobob Thanks buddy! I'll give this a whirl this morning and report back.
No problem

As promised.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #50
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinmaine View Post
twobob, would you be willing to post the image to somewhere so I could play with it also please? I realize it's not any finished product, just for testing purposes..
As ordered by The KNC1 himself...

added to KeK

http://drpbox.knetconnect.com/KeK/debian.ext3

NOTE TO THE FUTURE USER...

Do yourself a favour and leave PLENTY OF TIME to run apt-get update the 1st time you mount it...

Remember these static debian images have to drag down quite a few (TINY) files PER DAY for EVERY DAY they have sat in the repo... to apt-get update to the day you first run them... So... If it's been there for a month? that might be 120 updates... it's no pain.. just not Fast

Cheers.

EDIT: OH and you'll need this too

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=43

Last edited by twobob; 03-05-2013 at 09:16 PM. Reason: need this too!
Advert
Old 03-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #51
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
As ordered by The KNC1 himself...

added to KeK

http://drpbox.knetconnect.com/KeK/debian.ext3
Thank you very much - I look forward to playing!
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:42 AM   #52
timb.us
Enthusiast
timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Re: apt-get update

US users might want to change the default repository to the US servers, as twobob's image is set for the UK.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #53
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by timb.us View Post
Re: apt-get update

US users might want to change the default repository to the US servers, as twobob's image is set for the UK.
Good point.

Flipping Brits... They even think computers speak English!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:56 AM   #54
timb.us
Enthusiast

Whelp... After some fiddling, it works!

Here's how the connection chain looks:

MacBook Air SSH> Kindle SSH><Xorg Raspberry Pi

So, I SSH into the Kindle from my MBA, get Debian and Xephyr up, then SSH into the Raspberry Pi with the -X option, which sets up automatic X forwarding. When I launch an X app on the Pi, it in turn tunnels back over that SSH connection to the Kindle and uses it for the display!

Now obviously I'll script all of this and add a Launcher item to start it directly from the Kindle. I could also do all the work directly from the Kindle if I wanted, but typing from the laptop is a lot easier.

Here's a couple of pictures!

Thanks for all your help twobob, you saved me a lot of time and effort of building this all from scratch!

I'll be using the Kindle as a low power screen to display debugging information and allow me to interact with the GPIO pins on the Raspberry Pi. Having an small, light weight e-ink display that runs linux will be invaluable while developing my hardware projects!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:58 AM   #55
twobob

see.. bulletproof as promised

OKAY it was 600+ MB bigger... but hey! HEHEHEHE

Glad you/we got it sorted... in the end

EDIT: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to timb.us again.
BAH.... I love you too

Now... when the kual-system launches I hope you find some uses for it. : D
Old 03-05-2013, 01:28 AM   #56
twobob

Yeah... about that HUGE partition...

perhaps if you get it just how you like it and rip all the rubbish out...

you can resize it to be smaller...

http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_resi...xt3_partitions

(thanks to knc1 for the hookup on that)
Old 03-05-2013, 02:11 AM   #57
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I really suggest to think twice before going and trying to resize the rootfs on a KPW, given that the rescue options on that particular device aren't as sophisticated as on all the other Kindles... I'd rather go and try to mount some space via the USB network link. NFS and NBD come to mind... I think NFS support is in place, but admittedly I didn't check.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:47 AM   #58
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I really suggest to think twice before going and trying to resize the rootfs on a KPW, given that the rescue options on that particular device aren't as sophisticated as on all the other Kindles... I'd rather go and try to mount some space via the USB network link. NFS and NBD come to mind... I think NFS support is in place, but admittedly I didn't check.
its a debian image

i'm stupid, not insane
Old 03-05-2013, 04:21 AM   #59
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Ah, sorry for the interruption. I lost track of the matter at hand.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #60
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Ah, sorry for the interruption. I lost track of the matter at hand.
meh... your input is always valued dude

and TBH thats good advice.