Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-25-2016, 07:22 AM   #24331
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Finished After the Cure by Dierdre Gould. As I mentioned before, this is another zombie apocalypse novel, though the science behind the zombie-ism is better thought-out than most, and the interesting twist is that this book chronicles events happening after the cure is found.

There is a romance running through the length of this, but is not intrusive and the inevitable sex is low-key (in other words, little description). I will consider reading more of this series.

Starting Foreigner by C. J. Cherryh, a favorite author and a series which I've been meaning to catch back up on.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:57 AM   #24332
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Hmm... perhaps another freebie. The Chronothon by Nathan Van Coops
You are a glutton for punishment, aren't you? I'm afraid I've come around to issybird's position -- freebies are too often worth less than you paid for them.

Currently reading #3 in the Serrano/Suiza series - Once a Hero. This series is an early work of Elizabeth Moon, and mostly plays to her strengths. I originally read them >20 years ago, and I'm enjoying my trip back through them, since I remember very few details.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2016, 11:04 AM   #24333
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
You are a glutton for punishment, aren't you? I'm afraid I've come around to issybird's position -- freebies are too often worth less than you paid for them.
I no longer collect freebies willy-nilly. But I do pick up freebies that I might have bought if at £0.99.

The previous one was a fortunate freebie - I would have bought it at some point if I hadn't got it as an Amazon special offer freebie.

The current one is looking OK.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:44 AM   #24334
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Currently reading #3 in the Serrano/Suiza series - Once a Hero. This series is an early work of Elizabeth Moon, and mostly plays to her strengths. I originally read them >20 years ago, and I'm enjoying my trip back through them, since I remember very few details.
I am very careful about picking up freebies; but I would rather free than have to pay even $0.99.

I am just as careful about the $0.99 and even $1.99 offerings, but I gots ta read. As it is, my monthly budget for books is blown.

Anyway, I like the Serrano books, though there were far more horses than I expected...
Old 07-25-2016, 01:08 PM   #24335
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Did you read the first in the series? In Times Like These (In Times Like These #1)?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2016, 01:14 PM   #24336
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:

In a survey done about 3 years ago, it was found that 75% of all freebies aren't worth the download. In a more recent survey, it was found that the number of freebies not worth downloading jumped to 90%.
Fiction fared just slightly better than non-fiction.
Note this particular survey was done by one person who had way too many freebies.
Your mileage may vary.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:16 PM   #24337
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
I am very careful about picking up freebies; but I would rather free than have to pay even $0.99.

I am just as careful about the $0.99 and even $1.99 offerings, but I gots ta read. As it is, my monthly budget for books is blown.

Anyway, I like the Serrano books, though there were far more horses than I expected...
Well, I've got enough books in my TBR that I won't have to actually buy any more for several years. And these are mostly books I actually think I want to read. (Though I have been fooled.) Add in the series continuations that I really want, and the occasional book club book, and I've got plenty to read.

I'm enjoying the Serrano/Suiza books. Yes, lots of horses, about which I know less than nothing. But that's OK, I still enjoy the books.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:35 PM   #24338
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Next up: Interview with the Vampire by Ann Rice. Because I want something different and my library requests haven't come in yet. This also crosses off an unread year (1976) from my list.
I ended up abandoning this, just couldn't get into it. I may go back to it another time but that is fairly unlikely.

Instead I read The Strange Library by Haruki Murakami. Definitely a strange story, not sure what I think about it other than that I am glad it was short.

Next: Wicked Bugs: The Louse that Conquered Napoleon's Army & Other Diabolical Insects by Amy Stewart. Another book in this series, The Drunken Botanist, was nominated for the science category of the book club and I found this then. Maybe some creepy non-fiction will get me past my doldrums, although I really am just waiting for my next Terry Pratchett Discworld book to become available from my library. I have been on hold since May and only had 2-3 people in front of me, so I must be close.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:43 AM   #24339
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Which was most enjoyable. So much so that I've gone back to read the first one, "In Times Like These", which it turns out I already had a copy of, as it's also a freebie.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:25 PM   #24340
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Gave up on Exposed. Too many POV jumps.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:40 AM   #24341
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I ended up abandoning this, just couldn't get into it. I may go back to it another time but that is fairly unlikely.
This goes back a couple of decades, but I remember liking The Vampire Lestat much more than Interview. TVL kind of surrounds IWTV, serving as both a prequel and sequel, and I think there's a lot more depth and richness to it. I certainly reread TVL more often than I did IWTV.

Of course, I eventually discovered Saberhagen's The Dracula Tape and its sequels - particularly the first two - and I generally prefer those over Rice's books.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:18 AM   #24342
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Which was most enjoyable. So much so that I've gone back to read the first one, "In Times Like These", which it turns out I already had a copy of, as it's also a freebie.
Which was also fun. An interesting take on time-travel, which I rather liked.

Next up: Asimov's SF, August 2016, edited by Sheila Williams.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:50 AM   #24343
Dngrsone
Almost legible

Finished Foreigner; now reading a biography of Jim Henson, which is truly fascinating to me.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:39 PM   #24344
charlyee
Book Addict
charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, iPad Air 2, Surface 3
Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading?

The Far Pavilion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
charlyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:20 PM   #24345
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Next is a recent purchase, The Edge of Worlds by Martha Wells.
Another dull read. I wonder if something is wrong with me? Anyway, this one was mostly a build-up to a climax that doesn't occur ... yet. The story continues in the next installment. After 446 pages the author needs to give me something. I do enjoy Wells' writing style but she needs to do better to keep the reader engaged. Rated C- [3 stars].

To change things up I'm now reading The Plague Court Murders by John Dickson Carr. Nothing liked a locked room mystery to get the juices flowing.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote