Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Before I Go To Sleep by S. J. Watson

Just finished this, and it was fantastic! Here is the jacket blurb:

Memories Define Us
So what if you lost yours every
time you went to sleep?
Your name, your identity, your
past, even the people you love--
all forgotten overnight.
And the one person you trust may
be telling you only half the story.

Welcome to Christine's life

Really liked this one, and it didn't cheap out and have a predictable ending.

What did you think?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I read this book and I enjoyed it a lot, it was a fun page-turner. In fact, I could not stop reading, and then when I finished I felt like I ate too much junk food! I disagree a bit on the ending. It seemed more sensational than the rest of the book, to me. I would definitely recommend it, though.

This book has "movie" written all over it, and indeed, it looks like Nicole Kidman is in talks to star in it:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Nicol...eep-29721.html

(I pictured the main character a lot frumpier than Nicole Kidman, but hey, I guess frumpy doesn't sell movie tickets!!)

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I haven't read this one, but about 25 years ago I read Soldier of the Mist by Gene Wolfe, which is about a man who forgets everything every day, and has to write it down each night so he can read it back in the morning.

This one almost certainly goes in a different direction (Wolfe's book is set in ancient Greece), but it does annoy me that the central conceit is talked up as a brilliant new idea when there is already an excellent book by a truly outstanding writer on the same subject.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
There is nothing new under the sun but there are lots of old things we don't know -Ambrose Bierce.

Personally I really enjoyed the book.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Not to mention the movie Memento.

Still, I think there is room for more than one story about people who forget things when they go to sleep!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
50 First Dates
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:29 AM   #7
teekendall
teekendall began at the beginning.

Device: iriver
I really enjoyed this, but didn't take it too seriously. It did make me think of 50 First Dates and Memento (the movie), but was certainly a page turner that made the morning commute fly by.
teekendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:49 AM   #8
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
50 First Dates
Yeah - and Drew can do frumpy.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:40 AM   #9
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
[QUOTE=elemenoP;2001510..........Still, I think there is room for more than one story about people who forget things when they go to sleep! eP[/QUOTE]

Hey, you !!!!

You talkin' about me ?

You want to watch yerself, mate, you do.....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote