Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 07-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #271
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I was thinking...

How about adding a poll to the discussion thread for rating the book? 12 choices

10 stars
9 stars
8 stars
1 star
Didn't read it but I wanted to
Didn't read it and I didn't want to

What do you think?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #272
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I think it's a good idea.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #273
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I was thinking...

How about adding a poll to the discussion thread for rating the book? 12 choices

10 stars
9 stars
8 stars
1 star
Didn't read it but I wanted to
Didn't read it and I didn't want to

What do you think?
Possibly one for "Only read partially; no rating." (People who want to rate on a partial reading just give it stars. While there's something odd about a 9- or 10-star rating based on a partial reading, it may be perfectly reasonable to read three chapters, decide the book is awful, rate it 2 stars and move on rather than finishing it.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #274
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Would it really need 10 stars? A 5 star system would be easier to set up and would give us a little more overlap in voting - depending on how many people read the book a 10 star system could be very sparse. It is also would help with consistency since the 5 pt scale is also used at Goodreads, Amazon, B&N, Smashwords...
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #275
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
I was thinking...

How about adding a poll to the discussion thread for rating the book? 12 choices...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Would it really need 10 stars? A 5 star system would be easier to set up...
A five star system would indeed be easier to set up. We already have a "Rate Thread" feature that we could commandeer for this purpose. Plus, 5 stars seems to be pretty ubiquitous in rating systems these days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rate this thread.PNG
Views:	363
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	108308  
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #276
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
A five star system would indeed be easier to set up. We already have a "Rate Thread" feature that we could commandeer for this purpose. Plus, 5 stars seems to be pretty ubiquitous in rating systems these days.
If 10 stars is to onerous, then make it five. I picked ten because I like more granularity. Ideally I would like a decimal value if the range is relatively small.

For me, if a book is between a four and a five, I'm going to rate it as 4. IMO, 5 is for the perfect book, I don't want to round up to five.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #277
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I agree, five stars would be easier because we are more familiar with that system, with either the extra choices such as "Didn't read it and didn't want to" etc, or else just space for a comment to go with the rating or lack of it.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:51 AM   #278
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm not sure I like it:

1) I was interested in a little more information: At a minimum the average (which it has), the number of votes, the distribution
2) If we are using it to rate the book, we can't rate the actual thread

I would also like the "poll" to be open. I'm guessing we may get a few 1s and 5s that I may want to ignore.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:42 PM   #279
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, did we ever do the poll to decide on the 2014 book club categories? All I can find is a couple short discussions that end up being "we will talk about it later". Seems like this is as "later" as we can take it.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=210274

There was also some discussion in this thread starting in post 46: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...71#post2448071

The Dec 2013 nominations and poll threads don't mention it at all.

And since the only place I see the full list of the 2013 categories is the Dec 2013 Poll thread, here it is:
Spoiler:
  • January: Second Chance
  • February: Romance
  • March: Travel/Adventure
  • April: Classics
  • May: Mystery/Thriller
  • June: Award Winners
  • July: Non-Fiction
  • August: Science Fiction
  • September: Banned or Challenged Books
  • October: Patricia Clark Memorial Library (MobileRead Library)
  • November: Foreign (Books originally written in a language other than English)
  • December: Short Stories
Old 01-04-2014, 07:57 AM   #280
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
So, did we ever do the poll to decide on the 2014 book club categories? All I can find is a couple short discussions that end up being "we will talk about it later". Seems like this is as "later" as we can take it.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=210274

There was also some discussion in this thread starting in post 46: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...71#post2448071

The Dec 2013 nominations and poll threads don't mention it at all.

And since the only place I see the full list of the 2013 categories is the Dec 2013 Poll thread, here it is:
Spoiler:
  • January: Second Chance
  • February: Romance
  • March: Travel/Adventure
  • April: Classics
  • May: Mystery/Thriller
  • June: Award Winners
  • July: Non-Fiction
  • August: Science Fiction
  • September: Banned or Challenged Books
  • October: Patricia Clark Memorial Library (MobileRead Library)
  • November: Foreign (Books originally written in a language other than English)
  • December: Short Stories
Good catch. I would say that based on this recent post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...99#post2722299 (and the discussion of it) revising the categories for the non-literary book club might be something to consider. Some of the current categories (eg Award Winners or Banned or Challenged Books) almost guarantee books of “social importance or possess a certain highbrow level of literary merit” as opposed to books selected “on the simple basis of pleasure.”
Old 01-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #281
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

IMO, since it is already 2014, 2013 categories should be used for 2014.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #282
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:
IMO, since it is already 2014, 2013 categories should be used for 2014.
I can see that point, but I think there are a couple months that could be replaced given the lack of commentary for them. I agree with WTSharpe as linked by Hamlet53, we do seem to be creating two literary clubs with some of them. Of course exactly which categories could be an issue.

Right now is the time if we are going to do anything though.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:27 AM   #283
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I think it best to use the categories we have for at least two years. Choosing categories is a major undertaking. We could start the process for choosing the 2015 categories in August or September.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:26 PM   #284
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I'd like to propose a change to be implemented whenever appropriate (i.e. probably the beginning of 2016) that just occurred to me while thinking about how nice it is this month that we got to the poll sooner. Years ago nominations would be over within a matter of days but in the last year or so and especially the last six months or so it's often stretched out into the entire nomination period with many months lasting the entire allowed length, which is currently till the end of the month so usually ten or eleven days. With poll ties, this can lead to situations like March where we didn't have a winner until only ten days before the discussion thread and nominations for the next month started.

After now having experienced nominations taking the entire allowed period a good amount of times and it seeming like this might be more the rule now than the exception, I don't think I see any real advantage in keeping them that long. Most of the nominations are still done in the beginning with usually at most only a few votes in the last several days if any at all. This can lead to a stagnation of mostly nothing happening for the last four or five days of nominations. I propose we shorten nominations to five days (the 25th) or seven days (the 27th, a week if you want to give a couple extra days just in case). I think that's still more than enough time for anyone interested to have their say and will let us get on with deciding our pick in a more timely fashion.

I'm actually fine with keeping the nomination period as it is if Tom or the majority prefers it (after all, either way we'll probably be keeping it that way through 2015 anyway). It's not a big deal, but if others like the idea then I do think that it could be good for the club.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:12 PM   #285
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
A week should be reasonable. I like having the books selected earlier. We all read quite a bit and sometimes we have stuff we want to finish first so knowing what the selection is a week sooner or even two weeks sooner would let me fit the book into my schedule better. With West with the Night I couldn't get the request from the library prior to my holiday so I still haven't read it and now we're in to voting for the next month. Pulling for Cannery Row because it is short and would be a re-read for me to refresh my memory.

Of course, all of this is just talking as we have entrusted the Grand Poobah to figure all this out. There might not even be any voting at all.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote