Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 09-22-2005, 07:23 AM   #1
rsperberg
Zealot
rsperberg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
FBReader fonts

In the screen captures of FBReader for Maemo or the Nokia 770, I don't see one with controls for changing the fonts.

In an earlier post in this forum, MishaS wrote:

Quote:
FBReader allows [you] to use all fonts that are available in the system.
Misha, Would you post a screen capture of how you change fonts? And show the same page in two very different fonts (I realize Russian and English pages are very different, but on your page those are both sans serif).

Since I'm being so bold as to specify exactly what I would like to see, I'll add that black type on a white page is easier to see in the screen capture.

And would you add a screenshot of FBReader in full-screen mode? I've wondered what the average line length is in that mode.

Thanks very much,

Roger Sperberg
rsperberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 10:33 AM   #2
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Everytime I look at these screenshots I have to drool. Misha more screenshots would always be appreciated here
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2005, 04:01 PM   #3
rsperberg
Zealot

I'm like Colin -- I like to look at those screen captures! And when I was doing that today, I found I had more questions.

I don't see any mention of highlighting, which I assume means there is no highlighting. Can you confirm that highlighting isn't implemented?

Also I have a question about what you said about hyphenation. I thought TeX used an algorithm that Knuth created. Is that just for English? Or is it based on the algorthm of Liang that you mentioned?

Do the hyperlinks work only within one book, or can they take you to another book, or to a web page in a browser?

Is there a downside to reading from a zipped version of a book (like maybe the hyperlinks break)? That sounds like a terrific feature for getting more books in one's storage.

In one note, you said that the FBReader for Internet Tablet would be released when the new version of FBReader came out. I like the list of new features, but if I can vote, I'd jettison almost any one of them if it would help the program come out close to the release of the device. That's if I get to vote.

Thanks,

Roger
Old 09-23-2005, 09:30 PM   #4
rsperberg
Zealot

OK, I think I see where you change the fonts. In the screengrab showing the Style tab controls is a control for setting "Family." It shows "<base>" in the screengrab and since that's not a font, I went right by it. I suspect the popup menu that it brings up must have all the fonts in the system there.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:04 AM   #5
MishaS
Connoisseur
MishaS is on a distinguished road

Device: Nokia N810/Nokia E51
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsperberg
OK, I think I see where you change the fonts. In the screengrab showing the Style tab controls is a control for setting "Family." It shows "<base>" in the screengrab and since that's not a font, I went right by it. I suspect the popup menu that it brings up must have all the fonts in the system there.
Yesterday I experienced some issues with producing screenshots.

You can look at how it looks at http://only.mawhrin.net/~mss/thingies/maemo/fonts.html

Later today I'll produce a couple of pictures with texts rendered in different fonts.

(Now I just have to go)
MishaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2005, 10:25 PM   #6
rsperberg
Zealot

Thanks! A lot clearer now.

Can't wait to see the additional shots.

Roger
Old 09-25-2005, 06:04 PM   #7
MishaS
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsperberg
I don't see any mention of highlighting, which I assume means there is no highlighting. Can you confirm that highlighting isn't implemented?
No, highlighting is not there.

Quote:
Also I have a question about what you said about hyphenation. I thought TeX used an algorithm that Knuth created. Is that just for English? Or is it based on the algorthm of Liang that you mentioned?
The algorithm is generic enough to support various languages. As far as I understood, Liang's algorithm and the one in TeX are pretty much the same. The data files for English, Russian, French and German are taken from TeX and are included in the "package".

Quote:
Do the hyperlinks work only within one book, or can they take you to another book, or to a web page in a browser?
They only work within one book and there are no provisions for external applications. It might be an interesting feature, but I'm sure it's gonna be quite at the end of the TODO list

Quote:
Is there a downside to reading from a zipped version of a book (like maybe the hyperlinks break)? That sounds like a terrific feature for getting more books in one's storage.
The only downside is a possible slow down. I however do not see/feel it. As for the hyperlinks, if they are within one book, they still work properly

Quote:
In one note, you said that the FBReader for Internet Tablet would be released when the new version of FBReader came out. I like the list of new features, but if I can vote, I'd jettison almost any one of them if it would help the program come out close to the release of the device. That's if I get to vote.
These are not different programs: it's one program. And even I participate in maemo porting activities, the main driver of the release is my friend.

On a slitely unrelated note, I updated fonts page with more screenshots that show how the same page looks using different fonts. Please let me know if you want to see something in particular.

Regards
Old 09-25-2005, 06:07 PM   #8
MishaS
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishaS
Please let me know if you want to see something in particular.
I meant "beside what was mentioned above"

Regards,
Old 09-25-2005, 08:31 PM   #9
rsperberg
Zealot

Misha, thank you. These are terrific.

I do have another request.

I imagine that after I have a book open I will read it in full-screen mode. Can you show us a page in the full-screen mode? (Me, I prefer black on white.)

Actually, I guess I have another question or two, as well.

How do you advance from one page to the next? Can you click on the screen, or is it using one of the buttons? The icons of the pages with arrows seem to be grayed out, as though they were not accessible (it could just be their design). Or are those Go to the book beginning and Go to the book end?

You showed already the type at 17 and 18. Is this point size or pixels?

My friend David Rothman asked if you can save different sets of styles -- for instance in a business book you might have big sans serif headings and serif type, and in a novel, have smaller serif headings as well as serif type. Since I don't see any controls for saving (and changing to) such style sets (or style sheets), I presume not. But if you do, please let us know and if you don't, please consider this a feature request for a future version.

Thanks again.

Roger