Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-14-2014, 05:43 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question fonts - advanced - sharpness -weight

I am having trouble grasping what the fonts - advanced - sharpness slider actually does, & google is not helping much

is sharpening a font the opposite of smoothing it..

google finds lots of stuff about font smoohting, not a lot about sharpening

of the several available fonts is there one when the sharpness slider effect is easy to see ?

I think I understand font weight but again I see not a lot of difference from moving the slider ( well i can see the dierrence if I go full left or full right, but not much change in the center zone ? )

there is no obvious return to default option but I assume all these sliders started out at mid-point before I began messing ?

Last edited by cybmole; 04-14-2014 at 06:27 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:34 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I think smoothing is basically a process of adding shading pixels to the glyphs to give an illusion of curves, or an illusion of a line being drawn part way between pixel rows. Sharpness is just the absence of smoothing. You can think of the sharpness slider as being a smoothness slider, but with maximum smoothness at the left.

Smoothing is most useful on low DPI screens or for small font sizes. It is less noticable on high DPI screens like the AuraHD's. Even on my Glo I can't really see much difference between maximum and minimum sharpness at the font sizes I normally use for reading unless I take a screenshot and zoom in so I can see the individual pixels.

Weight and sharpness are related in a way. To make a sharp font heavier the lines have to increase in pixel units, whereas a smoothed font can be made heavier by rearranging the shading pixels that were added for smoothng. So I think for large/smooth fonts the weight slider will show a more gradual change than for small/sharp fonts.

Because the sharpness setting affects how the the weight slider works and vice versa, in practice you need to adjust weight and sharpness together to get the best effect. In firmware 3.2.0 the weight and sharpness sliders have been combined into one.

To return to the factory default settings you can edit the Kobo eReader.conf file and delete all the readingFontSharpness and readingFontWeight lines.

Last edited by GeoffR; 04-14-2014 at 07:42 AM. Reason: spelling
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert