Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-26-2014, 02:35 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Sigil 0.7.2 is deprecated?

I've been trying to get 0.7.2 because that's what I'm familiar with (I'm sure I can live with 0.7.4 though), and now in my attempts to get it I've come across that (see screenshot) it's deprecated. So should I be looking to get 0.7.4 or maybe I should be abandoning Sigil altogether for Calibre's "Edit E-book" because 0.7.4 will soon be deprecated?
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Deprecated by whom???

Calibre editor is getting greater each week, but it lacks clips (which can be replaced by Phrase Express or other macro program) and no spell checker which is pretty necessary in finding content errors, as opposed to coding errors.

Much of the difficulty has to do with non-breaking spaces which is not so important for a novelist. As long as it works and as long as you can do backups frequently, stay with it for now.

I have generally switched over to the calibre editor, but since I am transcribing an PDF, now that I am nearly done I have come back to Sigil, hoping I lose nothing in translation for the spellcheck and capitalization features.

$5 for what it is worth, $5 since 2 cents isn't worth a plugged nickel anymore!
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
There is not much Used To, it is still 7.X

The big number is the Big change (and that was not that much as far as the UI went, even from 6 to 7. Just More... in 7 )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:21 AM   #4
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Deprecated by whom???

Calibre editor is getting greater each week, but it lacks clips (which can be replaced by Phrase Express or other macro program) and no spell checker which is pretty necessary in finding content errors, as opposed to coding errors.

Much of the difficulty has to do with non-breaking spaces which is not so important for a novelist. As long as it works and as long as you can do backups frequently, stay with it for now.

I have generally switched over to the calibre editor, but since I am transcribing an PDF, now that I am nearly done I have come back to Sigil, hoping I lose nothing in translation for the spellcheck and capitalization features.

$5 for what it is worth, $5 since 2 cents isn't worth a plugged nickel anymore!
Thanks mrmikel. I was just comparing Sigil and the Calibre Editor. Sigil's lines are so much cleaner looking. By comparison Calibre Editor's text looks bunched together. I like much about the Calibre Editor's features,but I'm still leaning toward Sigil. Although I still can't get Sigil on my other Linux computer, so I may have to use the Calibre Editor. I'm sure they'll both do nicely ultimately.

Here's the deprecated screenshot.

P.S. any suggestions on getting Sigil? (Nobody seems to know.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deprecated.png
Views:	262
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	120853  
Old 03-27-2014, 02:24 AM   #5
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
There is not much Used To, it is still 7.X

The big number is the Big change (and that was not that much as far as the UI went, even from 6 to 7. Just More... in 7 )
So 0.7.2 being deprecated just means 0.7.4 is recommended instead?
Advert
Old 03-27-2014, 06:07 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
What it means, is that support (aka changes) are only done on the latest branch and not older releases. However, I still work with 0.7.2 without issues as it fits my work pattern better and I don't need/like the new features in 0.7.3/0.7.4.

The best you can do is just compile Sigil yourself I guess. I know I installed it on my Linux Mint machine some time ago and it was not that complicated for me.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:26 AM   #7
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is really a matter of preference and the level of editing required.

The more heavily you format and the more complicated the formatting, the more the calibre editor is useful to me. This is because the results of the formatting is immediately visible in the preview window. If I do something that ought to work and it doesn't I can immediately correct it. Also I can undo and revert to hearts content from going where no editor ought have gone, before or after!

Gregg, your work is mostly completed in a word processor and you are just making an adjustment here and there. The wide open screen of Sigil is more pleasant for that.

The deprecated note is silly since 7.2 and 7.4 are maintained the same these days, not at all.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:57 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
So 0.7.2 being deprecated just means 0.7.4 is recommended instead?
7.4 is just enhancements / bug fixes to 7.2
With normal software, you don't keep older versions on a branch 'Active'

Simple answer: Unless there is a known bug/incompatibility in 7.4 that impacts your use, use the latest on the branch

Over to Calibre.
1 absolute reason to use the Calibre editor is if you are combining input that used a folder structure per section (and the files within used the same names as contained other source folders).
In Sigil, the files get removed from any folders and flattened into Sigils:Text,Images,Styles.

An unholy mess is the result (the last source file with that name is all there is left) eg.
P01folder
Part01.html
Chapter01.html (will be lost)
p02folder
Part02.html
Chapter01.html
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #9
mrmikel
Color me gone

For Sigil, there's the right way, the wrong way and the Sigil way. It is always the same, so it is easy to deal with...unless you have theducks situation.

Calibre doesn't care what the structure is and doesn't change it. That can mean a little less handholding and doing for you if it is only a small mess instead of a big mess.

I agree in general about using the latest version, but handling the non-breaking spaces bounced sort of back and forth. Sigil also doesn't show invisible characters at all. At least in calibre, you can cursor along and see what is there and with some effort fiddle with them. Sigil treats them as if they don't exist.

This is mostly fine until you import some web page junk. Then it can become an issue.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:02 PM   #10
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Thanks for the great explanations, guys. Now I know what's going on. And my needs are nowhere near as sophisticated as yours. And I LIKE Sigil and I know how to make ebooks with it. Right now Calibre's Editor is just like a text editor to me. How to go about making chapters and headings and tocs, well, I'm sure it can be done there, but I will have to learn the process all over again. Your feedback makes my decisions much easier though. Appreciate it greatly.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:32 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks for the great explanations, guys. Now I know what's going on. And my needs are nowhere near as sophisticated as yours. And I LIKE Sigil and I know how to make ebooks with it. Right now Calibre's Editor is just like a text editor to me. How to go about making chapters and headings and tocs, well, I'm sure it can be done there, but I will have to learn the process all over again. Your feedback makes my decisions much easier though. Appreciate it greatly.
Just because there are new/updated tools doesn't mean the old ones stopped working the way they used to!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:56 AM   #12
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Sigil also doesn't show invisible characters at all.
Sure it does. Unless you're taking the peculiarly futile route of trying to edit in Page View.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:17 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Sure it does. Unless you're taking the peculiarly futile route of trying to edit in Page View.
No. Even in code view, characters (characters, mind you, not entities) like the soft-hyphen are completely invisible.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote