Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
JeffB
JeffB began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
'Invalid Format!' Error (PRS-505 only)

I've been struggling with my PRS-505 since last night.

Yesterday I was updating the content with libprs and got a "Disc Full" error. I use a Mac and have been either manually adding new content or using libprs to manage content. After reviewing the available space, I noticed that there was no more room in the reader's internal memory. I manually deleted the files and figured that would solve the problem.

Unfortunately, the reader refused to recognize the space being made available. Even though the files had been deleted and the system trash emptied.

I spent several hours on the issue and ended up figuring it was a glitch and tried to reformat the internal memory. After doing this, the full 210 MB was again available.

Now I'm getting a different problem; once I remove the USB cord, the reader displays the error 'Invalid Format!' and refuses to recognize any of the content. I've tried formatting at FAT and FAT32, with no change. I've tried a hard reset, and I've added and removed content both manually and with Sony's application on a PC, but I still get the 'Invalid Format!' error no matter what I do. The file structure appears to be normal and nothing seems to be missing.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by JeffB; 11-12-2007 at 11:58 AM.
JeffB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:57 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Oops - I think you might have made a slight error . AFAIK, the internal disk uses a Unix disk format, not FAT or FAT32. Perhaps one of our more knowledgeable developers can confirm this?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2007, 12:05 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No the main memory uses FAT16. Windows wouldn't be able to mount it if it used a Unix filesystem.

The reader may demand a particular volume label

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 11-12-2007 at 12:07 PM.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:11 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks for the correction, Kovid!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:30 PM   #5
JeffB

The 505 mounts correctly in both Windows and OSX. I've even updated the content using Sony's library application, and there doesn't seem to be any problems there, either.

The default volume name is 'UNTITLED' and there don't seem to be any issues there.

The only thing I can think of is that my work PC is behind a firewall that prevents authentication with Sony's servers.
Advert
Old 11-12-2007, 12:32 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How did you recreate the filesystem? Are you sure you've created all files?
Old 11-12-2007, 12:44 PM   #7
JeffB

Before I reformatted it the first time, I made an disc image of the existing file system. After reformatting I copied the same files back.

I really can't believe that Sony doesn't have some sort of restore mechanism, as it'd be pretty simple for anyone to delete the files.

The Reader OS doesn't seem to be affected. It still starts up correctly and displays the relevant screens, but when the USB cable is unplugged, it displays the standard top menu with a large exclamation point across it and 'Invalid Format!' at the bottom of the screen. None of the buttons work except the power button.

Also note that the Reader shows up correctly in eBook Library.

Last edited by JeffB; 11-12-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:46 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

wait i'm confused. It starts up correctly, but only with the USB cable attached? What happens if you power off detach the cable and then restart?
Old 11-12-2007, 01:00 PM   #9
JeffB

It connects to the PC correctly with the USB cable, and eBook Library copies content over and seems to build the folder structure correctly, but when I disconnect the cable I get the error. Shutting the reader down or resetting it doesn't seem to change anything.

Last edited by JeffB; 11-12-2007 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:12 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

So if you reboot the device it goes straight to the invalid format error?
Old 11-12-2007, 01:21 PM   #11
JeffB

Yes. It displays the startup screen and then when it goes to the 'Reader' screen it displays the error.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:49 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
The 505 mounts correctly in both Windows and OSX. I've even updated the content using Sony's library application, and there doesn't seem to be any problems there, either.

The default volume name is 'UNTITLED' and there don't seem to be any issues there.

The only thing I can think of is that my work PC is behind a firewall that prevents authentication with Sony's servers.
The volume label of my 505 is untitled in all lower case. And the file system is FAT.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:41 PM   #13
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
There's a format option in advanced settings on the Reader, try that.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:20 PM   #14
JeffB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The volume label of my 505 is untitled in all lower case. And the file system is FAT.
I reformatted as FAT and labelled the volume 'untitled', and that didn't didn't seem to have any affect.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:25 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I would have done was to move off all the books and then see what sort of memory the 505 said it has free. If that came out OK, then I would have put all the content back on.

That said and it's too late now, once ou get to the menus, go to the settings menu and then Advanced Settings and then there is an option to Format Internal Memory. That might fix it as it should put in a proper format.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote