Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 06-28-2011, 01:31 AM   #1
Xabache
Carbon Reserve
Xabache began at the beginning.

Device: PC
PDF TOC envy

This pdf was created with ms office 2010 [see attached], i dont have ms office 2010. I like the TOC, specifically the not blue hyperlinks, these are all black. How could i create something similar using open office writer. anything not blue would be ideal, hyper link blue is
Attached Files
File Type: pdf UserGuide.pdf (503.0 KB, 582 views)
Xabache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabache View Post
This pdf was created with ms office 2010 [see attached], i dont have ms office 2010. I like the TOC, specifically the not blue hyperlinks, these are all black. How could i create something similar using open office writer. anything not blue would be ideal, hyper link blue is
I use StarOffice (the commercial version of OpenOffice.org) to make a table of contents (TOC) similar to the one listed in your example in my long ebooks. I haven't worried about hyperlinks in the TOC, I just go the the table of contents, look up the page number for the item I want, and jump to that page number.

As far as making a TOC in OpenOffice Writer, the key is to first mark the items you want to appear in the TOC with a style (usually a paragraph style). As an example, with chapter headings I create a paragraph style called "Chapter Heading". Then, I mark each chapter heading with that style.

After I've marked the text that I want to appear in the TOC with the appropriate style, I insert a TOC into my ebook, usually at the beginning. The text marked with those style(s) will appear on the TOC, and it is possible to have 10 levels within the TOC.

I hope this helps.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
Xabache
Carbon Reserve

TY, my interest was specifically in creating black hyperlinks, i like the jump-to-link ability of my current TOC, i just wanted to loose the hyperlink blue look. any further ideas how open office can create a hyperlink TOC that is not blue?
Old 06-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
The Straven
Nevermore
The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: ex-iLiad, DR800SG
Xabache,

Instead of hyperlinks, what you may wish to use is cross-references. From the menu bar, choose "Insert-->Cross-reference". This will open a dialogue box titled "Fields".

From here, I make sure that in the "Type" box I have "Headings" selected. In the "Selection" box your headings will be listed and selectable. Finally, in the "Insert reference to" box, choose how you want the cross-reference to appear. I use "Reference", followed by a tab, followed by "Page" (making sure that I have the same selection for both Reference and Page), which yields something like this:

Heading 1 ........ 7

Note that to get the dots you must have the appropriate fill character selected for tabs in the paragraph style dialogue.

And you must have your chapter/section/whatever set as the appropriate heading style, of course.

If you export to PDF with OpenOffice.org (I've switched to LibreOffice, not that it matters), this method will also generate a set of bookmarks.

It's a little bit of a shift, thinking "hyperlinks" to thinking "cross-references", but cross-references are easier to maintain. If you want to stick with hyperlinks, you ought to be able to select the link and set the text color to black.

Either way, hope it works out for you,

Last edited by The Straven; 06-29-2011 at 04:37 PM.
The Straven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
Xabache
Carbon Reserve

Cross references present the exact style i was looking for, thank you, but they dont appear to have any sort of prepackaged table format such as the standard index table offered, which is a must when creating a high volume of slightly different texts, that i can with a single click update the index to the next language for example. if i missed this tabled feature in cross references or a one touch update for same, let me know.

font color changing also seems ideal but i have yet to figure out how to change the font color inside an index table, whenever i select the index table the font color button fades out of use, and changing the header colors they link to makes no change in the standard hyperlink blue of their appearance. any ideas?
Advert
Old 07-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
The Straven
Nevermore
The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Heh, yes, I've wished for a cross-referenced table generation function myself, but if there is one, I haven't found it. Perhaps there's a plugin somewhere that does this?

As for changing font colors, the best method I can find is to edit the "Internet Link" and "Visited Internet Link" styles in the character styles in the "Styles and Formatting" dialogue. What you can do is set the font effects to black (or whatever color you wish) and also remove the underlining if you desire. The catch is that any hyperlinks in the text body will also appear in that styling (the obvious workaround is to manually edit the styles of these links).

Now, a quick search reveals that it's possible to insert hyperlinks into the TOC, so combining this with changing character styles may yield the results and ease-of-use you are looking for.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:34 AM   #7
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
What is this "Visited Internet Link" crap ? Dude, just select the address and change the colour to black. You can even choose to have it without an underline, with a goofy font, whatever.

PS: It's called Libre Office now.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
The Straven
Nevermore

Hmm. Well, if you take a moment to read the question, what Xabache is asking is how to change the attributes of text within an inserted index table. The only way to do that is to edit the component styles used to build the table... Dude.

But, it turns out that "Visited Internet Link" is not a relevant style.

Last edited by The Straven; 07-05-2011 at 03:33 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #9
Xabache
Carbon Reserve

Nevermore =)

TY muchly Straven you're king of today!

Tags
copy style, ms office, open office, pdf, toc