Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-13-2010, 03:08 AM   #1
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Didn't expect to enjoy e-reading more than print!

I've just had my e-reader for a week, so there may be a novelty factor at work, but dang, this is easier than reading a print book! I feel spoiled already!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:11 AM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Congratulations! Which one did you get?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:16 AM   #3
Orochi
Connoisseur
Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo, Ipod Touch
It's not just a novelty, it really is easier and more effecient, when you think about it.

I haven't read a newspaper in the longest time, but I was reading one the other day on my lunch break and I couldn't help thinking to myself, what a pain in the butt, the format is.

While I still read books from time to time, I feel the same way about the format. An e-reader or other digital device is just so much more effecient and easier to deal with.
Orochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:34 AM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orochi View Post
It's not just a novelty, it really is easier and more effecient, when you think about it.
I came to the opposite conclusion when I thought about it. You need more light for an e-ink reader so it is harder to find a good reading place. And if you enlarge the size of the letter to compensate for bad lighting you do not get enough letters on row for efficient reading.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:48 AM   #5
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
For novels, I mostly agree. As long as there's sufficient light, the reading process on a single panel with page turn buttons is very pleasantly unobtrusive. Since I'm often reading in crowded buses or trains or subways, it can be a quite noticeable benefit.

It's about the only positive thing I can say about ebook reader devices so far. I really really want ebooks to be successful, but I also want them to be much better than they currently are. There is so much room for improvement that it's almost ridiculous, though most companies thus far seem content to squirt out thoughtless clones.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:08 AM   #6
Orochi
Connoisseur
Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo, Ipod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I came to the opposite conclusion when I thought about it. You need more light for an e-ink reader so it is harder to find a good reading place. And if you enlarge the size of the letter to compensate for bad lighting you do not get enough letters on row for efficient reading.
I guess it is a personal thing. Aside from the lighting/text situation, I was refering more to the physical format of an e-reader vs a book (or newspaper or magazine). Generally people don't have the option to choose the size of the book or the size of text on the pages (or fonts, character spacing, ect...). You also don't get to decide on the size, or weight, that is comfortable for you.

With an e-reader you can choose a size that is suitable for your expected reading situation. With e-ink you can choose a dinky 5 inch screen or a larger 6 inch screen, which makes a big difference for some people. Some readers also give the option of reading in landscape mode which further increases read-ability. You can also choose to go to an LCD screen which eliminates the lighting issue and gives you even more options for screen size.

So as I see it you have more options, not less. Generaly that would make things easier, would it not?

And yes LDBolo there is still much room for improvement on e-readers!
Orochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:01 AM   #7
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I haven't read a paper book in the past year, but read my e-reader for several hours every day! The novelty never wore off, and I don't foresee it happening!
In fact, I've even begun reading e-books on my iPhone, something I actually said I wouldn't do as the screen is so much smaller than my Sony. What can I say? I like to read and I love the convenience of the e-book readers! Sure there are shortcomings to e-readers. There are shortcomings to everything. I just don't pay attention to them. I prefer to pay attention to the positive aspects of life... and that includes my e-readers!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:23 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I've just had my e-reader for a week, so there may be a novelty factor at work, but dang, this is easier than reading a print book! I feel spoiled already!
I've been reading ebooks for seven years or more - on PDAs, on mobile phones and on eInk readers.

Currently I'm reading most on my phone - my Kindle is lovely, but my phone is always with me, and a lot easier to carry around.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:26 AM   #9
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
When I noticed that I am reading more book on my Nintendo DS's small screens then playing games or reading paperbacks, I ordered a Nook. I think eBooks are a lot better then old ones. More accessible too if you are living in Turkey.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:33 AM   #10
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
That feeling will actually grow the longer you do it.

I've gotten so I don't even want to touch a paper book anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:28 AM   #11
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
And if you enlarge the size of the letter to compensate for bad lighting you do not get enough letters on row for efficient reading.
As you get older, you will likely find you need to enlarge the letters to see them at all.

Ereaders trump bifocals completely.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #12
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
it's the practicality .

yes change of font size is useful - but the facility to change mid-book without getting out of a chair or bed is a pleasure .... [haven't got as far as reading in the bath, yet; but the Pocketbook with its 'turn pages on a twist of a wrist' may let me .....]

also to be able to buy and start reading a book within minutes rather than wait on the post or have to make a journey into a store.....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #13
DaringNovelist
Addict
DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
I find I hate reading on paper now. I read on my iPod Touch, or on my computer. I used to read no my Palm.

Once you get started at it, it grows on you. I can see why most agents and editors have kindles these days.

Camille
DaringNovelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:33 AM   #14
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I've had my reader for less than a week and I'm not turning back. One small thing I have found that I truly like is the ability to go to the next page without risking dropping the book and losing my place. I can't count how often I'd drop a book while changing the page...usually it happened after reading for some time and my hands were a little tired. But not anymore, it doesn't require me to move my hands at all.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:31 PM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
As you get older, you will likely find you need to enlarge the letters to see them at all.

Ereaders trump bifocals completely.
Yes, that is probably the reason I will begin to use ereaders again. But it will not solve the problem of me wanting to read a specific book since I refuse to buy DRM:ed books and I cannot be bothered to download and convert books when it is so easy to buy a paper book.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote