Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: April 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Egg and I by Betty MacDonald 19 25.33%
Topper by Thorne Smith 5 6.67%
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole 10 13.33%
My man Jeeves by P G Wodehouse 2 2.67%
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain 7 9.33%
Fool by Christopher Moore 3 4.00%
Augustus Carp, Esq. - Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man by Henry Bashford 0 0%
A Damon Runyon Omnibus 1 1.33%
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore 10 13.33%
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde 16 21.33%
Candide by Voltaire 2 2.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2010, 03:15 PM   #316
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Not sure what you're getting at here, but the nomination thread for next month will come around in a couple of weeks...
Absolutely, but somebody already started to talk about this

Last edited by beppe; 04-10-2010 at 03:55 PM.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:21 PM   #317
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
A classic is something written before I was born - for your own unique value of I
I like this. This is an healthy mixture of individual freedom and responsibility. Relativization of Absolute Distance in time (individual). In other words reality.
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 04:27 PM   #318
Vector
Senile Delinquent
Vector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enough

Device: several
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Just few chapters of this book, that stand very well by themselves, while the whole book would be a huge concrete block of 10' on everybody's stomach.
If you mean the Gita, I think that's been published separately so many times that it counts as a book.
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #319
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Ah, I got you there! Before naming the books of which I would like to propose for nomination just a part, I would like to have an idea of the opinion of the Club on the issue of proposing just a part.

You guy, you are so smart. Are a Yankee by any chance?. Excuse the invasion of privacy.
No, but my great-grandfather on my mother's side fought for them. I'm from that state whose governor thinks proclaiming a Confederate History month is a good idea, and proclaiming a Confederate History month without a recognition of slavery is an even better idea because he believes slavery had little to do with Virginia's reasons for secession (never mind the inconvenient historical fact that 60% of Virginia's population in 1860 was slave or that the ordinance to repeal the ratification of the Constitution of the United State of America by the State of Virginia mentions slavery in the first paragraph.) In his defense, Governor Sensitivity is a graduate of Pat Robertson's Regent University. When it comes to distorting history, Regent is second only to Disney, and as the old saying goes; garbage in, garbage out.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-10-2010 at 06:55 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:47 AM   #320
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
garbage in, garbage out.
Yuppie! I checked that guy out on Wikipedia. We all have our problems ...

My Yankee reference was absolutely not in that direction. But on their well known merchant qualities. I mean qualities. Your reply has been very useful to me. I went and checked out and learned a few things. Especially the end of the Yankee cultural history section.

I also learned, and I should have known it already, not to put my foot in other people soup. Thank you.
Advert
Old 04-11-2010, 02:04 AM   #321
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
If you mean the Gita, I think that's been published separately so many times that it counts as a book.
Thank you for mentioning it.
In building my example I had in mind something quite different. Much easier than Gita, that we have on MR.

If my example is like a 10' concrete block (3m that makes about 100 tons in weight), Gita could be like one of the lesser Pyramids ...
Old 04-11-2010, 02:29 AM   #322
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I thought it could be interesting to interpret classics as 'classical literature', as in ancient Greece and Rome. A greek play would not be that hard to read (in translation) and would certainly contain fodder for discussion.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:44 AM   #323
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I was taught that "Classic" referred to something that was popular or respected for a long time and that "Classical Literature" specifically referred to ancient Greek and Roman writings.

Aesop's Fables would probably qualify as a Classic under Classical Literature.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:35 AM   #324
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Classic to me means timeless in that classic literature has not only survived the test of time and has constant and continued relevance to contemporary readers.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:10 AM   #325
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yuppie! I checked that guy out on Wikipedia. We all have our problems ...

My Yankee reference was absolutely not in that direction. But on their well known merchant qualities. I mean qualities. Your reply has been very useful to me. I went and checked out and learned a few things. Especially the end of the Yankee cultural history section.

I also learned, and I should have known it already, not to put my foot in other people soup. Thank you.
Actually, I should have known from your geographical location that you were using the term in a different manner than the way the locals usually use it. So, to answer your question from an international perspective, yes, I'm a Yank!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-11-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:14 AM   #326
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I thought it could be interesting to interpret classics as 'classical literature', as in ancient Greece and Rome. A greek play would not be that hard to read (in translation) and would certainly contain fodder for discussion.
I think that interpretation would be too confining, but I like the idea of choosing an ancient Greek play for the club to read.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:15 AM   #327
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Damn Yankees! I'm a Redsox fan!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:18 AM   #328
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Actually, I should have know from your geographical location that you were using the term in a different manner than the way the locals usually use it. So, to answer your question from an international perspective, yes, I'm a Yank!

OK, we can kiss now. Listen Kilroy, what about a part of a book being accepted for nomination. If you express favorably I'll tell you which books I had in mind.

Quiche is excellent although slightly cholesterous.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:19 AM   #329
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Damn Yankees! I'm a Redsox fan!
My wife is. I loved the Expos and now I am stuck with the Nationals.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:38 AM   #330
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
OK, we can kiss now. Listen Kilroy, what about a part of a book being accepted for nomination. If you express favorably I'll tell you which books I had in mind.

Quiche is excellent although slightly cholesterous.
:smooch:

If it's a work like The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon, I say yes, choosing an excerpt to read would be fine. If it's something like Tolstoy's War and Peace, then I would say no, because such a book needs to read in its entirety.

Did I win?