Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-25-2014, 05:23 AM   #1
EbookNovice
Banned
EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Reading: How to read more?

Hi all, as a part of my goals for 2014 I'm planning on watching less television and spend that time reading books instead.

However, I'm finding it difficult to read for long periods of time as quite frankly, it's boring compared to watching TV.

How can I mentally conceptualize reading so that I'm able to have more 'reading endurance'.

Thank you!
EbookNovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:40 AM   #2
Heim
Zealot
Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You'll read more when you read books and stories which truly captivate you. Is reading really worth it when it's something you have to 'oblige' yourself to do.
Heim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2014, 06:27 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
First you need to identify the type of material you enjoy.
For many, it is one or more specific genres.
Second, you'll need a comfy, distraction-free environment.
It could be a cushy sofa, a nice recliner, or just your bed.
Some like background music to block out the outside world; instrumentals and classical tend to work well.
Third, if you want to make a habit of it, set aside one or more specific blocks of time. Even if it is just a matter of going to bed a bit earlier.

The key is to find books that will draw you into their narrative and away from the physical world. Give it time and the stories will take care of you.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:26 AM   #4
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
What kind of books are you reading?
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:41 AM   #5
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
"Don't read boring books" is probably the main suggestion I can make. What kind of TV/films do you like? Trying to find books in similar genres - something described as rich in action, perhaps - is the most obvious first step.

But in general, not all people are readers. And there's nothing wrong with it. If action-filled books in your favoured genres (thrillers? action? adventure?) aren't doing the trick, and neither is anything else, it might just be that reading for pleasure isn't your thing, and that's perfectly fine. Not a lot of point in trying to force yourself when it feels like a chore or something you aren't enjoying, unless there's some kind of pressing reason for it (like reading for school or work).

One thought I have is that if you do really want to get used to reading for pleasure, maybe finding books with relatively simpler language - young adult books? middle-grade books? - might help? They're faster reads and aren't often as heavy with descriptions.

Once you get in the habit of reading for pleasure, and enjoy reading, endurance should follow naturally. But yeah, as suggested above, minimising distractions also helps - read on a dedicated eInk reader (or a paper book) instead of a tablet or laptop where the temptation to do something else is always there, don't have the TV playing in the same room, sit away from the computer...
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
EbookNovice
Banned
EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
First you need to identify the type of material you enjoy.
For many, it is one or more specific genres.
Second, you'll need a comfy, distraction-free environment.
It could be a cushy sofa, a nice recliner, or just your bed.
Some like background music to block out the outside world; instrumentals and classical tend to work well.
Third, if you want to make a habit of it, set aside one or more specific blocks of time. Even if it is just a matter of going to bed a bit earlier.

The key is to find books that will draw you into their narrative and away from the physical world. Give it time and the stories will take care of you.
Wow, thanks for your reply!

This helps me a lot!
Old 01-25-2014, 10:58 AM   #7
EbookNovice
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
What kind of books are you reading?
Non-fiction only. Right now I've just been reading history books or biographies people have written.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:14 PM   #8
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbookNovice View Post
Non-fiction only. Right now I've just been reading history books or biographies people have written.
Some people concentrate on those.
Some people don't.
Me, I'd go to sleep.

Sounds like you should be a don't, or at least vary your reading matter.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:47 PM   #9
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
That might very well explain it. Trying to read that type of subject for hours on end is usually best left to students who are cramming and...um,nobody else.

My friends who are into history and non-fiction have told me that they approach each book as something to dissect. So they read a chapter, write notes, their thoughts, etc and before you know it, there goes 2 hours. On 1 chapter. Most people can't, and oughtn't, do that for hours on end.

Mix some fiction in there. If you want to stay historical, go with historical fiction.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:53 PM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Perhaps you don't care for fiction? Some people don't.

Do you watch only non fictional TV? A lot of TV shows are adapted from books and often the books are better, although not always.

Many fiction books are based on historical events and are fairly accurate. I enjoy books based on Asian cultures as they often give an insight into the culture both past and present and are entertaining as well.

My favorite time to read is before going to sleep, all curled up and cozy. When I am sleepy I just close the reader and go to sleep. (I also do this with TV although not as much as I tend to zone out).

Nothing wrong with watching TV if that is what you enjoy, but nice to be able to enjoy both.

Not sure what you mean by conceptualize although I am thinking approach might be it?

Tell us what you enjoy watching and I am sure you will be inundated with suggestions if that is appealing.

I will venture to suggest Nero Wolfe mysteries by Rex Stout as the books are well written, amusing, set in the first part of the 19th century, available in most libraries as both paper and ebook, and not long. Rex Stout can pack a complete story into a 50 page novella better than most and has several books with three novellas to the book as well as his longer ones.

Plus the author was a fascinating person IMO. Anyone know of a Rex Stout biography?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:12 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I will venture to suggest Nero Wolfe mysteries by Rex Stout as the books are well written, amusing, set in the first part of the 19th century, available in most libraries as both paper and ebook, and not long. Rex Stout can pack a complete story into a 50 page novella better than most and has several books with three novellas to the book as well as his longer ones.
I agree with your recommendation, Helen, but I would note that the books are most certainly not set in "the first half of the 19th century". They were written between 1934 and 1974, and the settings are contemporary with the time of writing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:29 PM   #12
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I have a hard time reading too. If you prefer TV, I suggest some longform and short stories. Read a few, and you've read the length of a typical book.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:58 PM   #13
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Short stories can help, but I'd definitely only recommend genre ones, not literary fiction, especially since you find watching TV more entertaining than reading. Something like Chekov will likely put you to sleep. A few recommendations for short story collections:

Mayhem, Mystery and Murder, by John A. Broussard (suspense)
100 Great Fantasy Short Short Stories, edited by Asimov (fantasy)
The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour (esp. vol 6, which is western-style crime)

I think these are still in print and available as e-books. The fantasy collection I have as a paperback, but found an ebook version of it as well (I am not sure it is official). There are also the pulp short stories from times past, if you can get your hands on some collections. No great literature, but quite good entertainment.

How to make reading more fun, I don't know. I haven't owned a TV set in over a decade, and I only watch a couple shows on my laptop now and then, so for me, books are a far more engaging, stimulating form of entertainment.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:58 PM   #14
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree with your recommendation, Helen, but I would note that the books are most certainly not set in "the first half of the 19th century". They were written between 1934 and 1974, and the settings are contemporary with the time of writing.
You are right. I should have said he started writing them in the first half of the 20th century. You would think I would know that by now.

Strangely enough I find even the earliest to still have a contemporary feel to them as does the A&E miniseries despite some period clothing etc.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:21 PM   #15
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
I'd tend to agree with others that it might be a problem with your reading material. Some people thrive on non fiction. Others are bored half to death with it.

If you want to stick with it though, finding a good author can help. I adore Bill Bryson's travelogues, so when he came out with a book called A Short History of Nearly Everything, it was a no brainer for me to pick it up. Sure enough, his writing style helped me grasp some things that works by other authors did not.

Head over to the Reading Recommendations section of this forum and ask for help there. You can post specific areas of interest & types of things you haven't enjoyed so the good folks there can help you find some works that will hold your interest better. And if you're interested in what you're reading, I think you'll find it a whole lot easier.

Also, as fjtorres mentioned, environment can be key. Try reading in a comfortable place with few to no distractions. And if long sessions are an issue, try setting a timer and reading in short spurts of just 10-15 minutes. You can always stretch them out longer as you get more used to reading regularly.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote