Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
Kindle Noob
Kindle Noob began at the beginning.

Device: k4nt
K4NT Registration / reginfo hack

Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm hoping that you all can answer a few simple questions.I recently bought a new kindle K4NT. I am NOT interested in registering it with amazon. Ever. I took it out of the box and put it on airplane mode. Done. I use it to read books and thats it.

I see many options for older kindle versions that allow me to use collections without registering, such as updating the reginfo with bogus info etc to trick the kindle into activating all of its features. But nothing that seems to work with the K4NT.

Yes, I am aware that I could register it, jailbreak it, root it, change screen savers etc...but it seems like a lot of work when all I want to do is use collections and read books.

So here is my question: How do I use collections without the one-time registration process with amazon on a K4NT v 4.1.0?

If I jailbreak it without it being registered, will this activate the collections feature?

P.S. No it is not stolen, no it was not "found," no I'm not building a bomb. I'm just plain crazy and hate being profiled and monitored by corporations.

Thank you for your help

Thank you for any advice you may have.
Kindle Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Jailbreaking has no connection with using collections. It has to be registered for that. Register it - you can use a fake name and email address if it helps your paranoia - then leave it in flight mode. No monitoring. Job done.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Or, register it, then deregister it. I believe collections will still work, in that case.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
Lutraa
Well Read
Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, K4B, Nook HD+, Galaxy S3
Or do as I do and use Calibre to organize your books, keeping only reference and unread or being-read books on your device. You'll be sideloading everything anyway, so why not use better software on a device (your computer) with a better screen?
Lutraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
Kindle Noob

Thank you all for the quick responses! All viable solutions to my problem, which I will probably just do.

However, I'm still interested in knowing if there is any info out there on the reginfo file in the K4NTs... I have been unable to find any for the past few days on these boards or google. I'm having an internal battle over this now and its more the principle of the issue. Id like full functionality of my device without having to register. If its not possible, I completely understand, and I will simply link it to my amazon account.

On a side note, once I login to the registration server my device will be populated with ads right? And I will then have to jailbreak and root so that I can continue reading in peace?
Advert
Old 06-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindle Noob View Post
So here is my question: How do I use collections without the one-time registration process with amazon on a K4NT v 4.1.0?
You can't. At least, not officially.

Try this though. (jailbreak required)
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #7
Kindle Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
You can't. At least, not officially.

Try this though. (jailbreak required)
Ahh now theres a name I recognize. Thank you very much for the link!!
Old 06-11-2013, 02:47 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
On a side note, once I login to the registration server my device will be populated with ads right? And I will then have to jailbreak and root so that I can continue reading in peace?
No, it will only send ads if you've already made the completely voluntary choice to accept a $20 discount from Amazon in exchange for seeing ads. If you've entered into that contract with Amazon freely and willingly, you get ads. If you don't want ads, you give Amazon their $20 back (via the "Manage Your Kindle" page on Amazon's web site) and they then do the magic on their servers which makes your Kindle a non-ad-supported one.

What you don't do is agree to accept ads and then try to renege on your end of the contract; that's just plain dishonesty.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #9
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:

No the device is not 'populated' with ads. You will see ads in only two places neither of which show up when you're reading a book. They show up when the device is off/sleep mode as a screen saver and in a bar on the bottom of your home screen. That's it. Nowhere else.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #10
Kindle Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, it will only send ads if you've already made the completely voluntary choice to accept a $20 discount from Amazon in exchange for seeing ads. If you've entered into that contract with Amazon freely and willingly, you get ads. If you don't want ads, you give Amazon their $20 back (via the "Manage Your Kindle" page on Amazon's web site) and they then do the magic on their servers which makes your Kindle a non-ad-supported one.

What you don't do is agree to accept ads and then try to renege on your end of the contract; that's just plain dishonesty.

Hmmmm I actually had to do a bit of research to find out what you were talking about. I purchased my kindle a few days ago from a local retail store. They had K4 touch, K4NTs, and the paperwrite. It was an impulse buy because a friend of mine said he had some books I should read but I would need a kindle. So I bought one. I've spent the last 1/2 hour investigating the outside of the box for this contract you refer to. The only thing I see that remotely resembles what you refer to is a 6-point font under "features" on the back of the box which states, "Includes Special Offers." I'm using my best powers of deduction, and when I say best, I mean as liberally as humanly possible, to conjure up even the remotest semblance to what you inferred in your post, and I just can't do it. So apparently, there is another version that doesn't have ads? I could have bought that one for $30 more, but because I was not able to deduce that from the "feature" that stated, "Includes Special Offers," I have now entered into a legally binding contract, and am "dishonest" because I don't like registering my personal property...

Hahahah LMFAO I would love to hear an attourney make that argument in court and why wouldn't they just put both versions next to each other with big writing that says this? I would happily have paid even a hundred dollars more for an ad-free kindle. Money is not an issue with me but principle is. Now they're out of luck and its already hacked. There is the true reward for dishonesty. Ok, I'm going on with my life now. Thank you again for all your support. Much appreciated.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #11
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
So apparently, there is another version that doesn't have ads?
Precisely right.

Quote:
I could have bought that one for $30 more, but because I was not able to deduce that from the "feature" that stated, "Includes Special Offers," I have now entered into a legally binding contract, and am "dishonest" because I don't like registering my personal property...
Register it.

Don't register it.

Nobody cares.

But you can't access features that require a sync connection to Amazon - like collections - until it is registered and syncs to Amazon. Once you create a collection, you will be able to use the feature, even if you de-register the Kindle immediately afterwards.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:43 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Hmmmm I actually had to do a bit of research to find out what you were talking about.
Sorry. You said that you were a "long time lurker" in your initial message, so it was reasonable to assume that you were aware that Amazon sold both ad-supported and non-ad-supported Kindles. That was reinforced by the fact that you knew you'd be getting ads when you registered your Kindle.

Quote:
So apparently, there is another version that doesn't have ads? I could have bought that one for $30 more, but because I was not able to deduce that from the "feature" that stated, "Includes Special Offers," I have now entered into a legally binding contract, and am "dishonest" because I don't like registering my personal property...
"Caveat emptor". Had you glanced at Amazon's web site before buying you would have known full well that there was a version of the Kindle available without ads.

Quote:
why wouldn't they just put both versions next to each other with big writing that says this?
They do. Look at the web site.

Quote:
I would happily have paid even a hundred dollars more for an ad-free kindle. Money is not an issue with me but principle is. Now they're out of luck and its already hacked. There is the true reward for dishonesty.
<shrug> You knew you'd be getting ads (you stated this yourself). You know (now) that there's a legitimate way to remove the ads. You know what the honest thing to do is. The ball's in your court.