Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
TechCrunch: Amazon’s Kindle Tablet Is Very Real

http://techcrunch.com/2011/09/02/amazon-kindle-tablet/

Quote:
Again, the device is a 7-inch tablet with a capacitive touch screen. It is multi-touch, but from what I saw, I believe the reports that it relies on a two-finger multi-touch (instead of 10-finger, like the iPad uses) are accurate. This will be the first Kindle with a full-color screen. And yes, it is back-lit. There is no e-ink to be found anywhere on this device.
Nice scoop by Techcrunch!

Quote:
So how much will the 7-inch Kindle cost? $250.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I guess they'll have to cancel the commercial with the guy trying to read an iPad in the sun.

Although it's running Android it looks like it's a highly customized UI. It's a good price for the Xmas market.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
I guess they'll have to cancel the commercial with the guy trying to read an iPad in the sun.
lol, no, they'll just add a scene where it gets dark..and the iPad guy smugly glances over...and she puts her Kindle into her bag, and pulls out her Kindle tablet.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I believe virtually every word of this story. Amazon cannot allow another Xmas selling season to expire without an answer to Nook Color and that also means a colour device somewhere in that $250-$299 range. There are no jarring details about the device, or how it works, or how it integrates with all other Amazon digital content.

There is no word on whether Amazon expects to sell this outside of the US but I would expect it will not in 2011 -- that may have to wait till the 2012 launch of the 10" Kindle Color II.

The one odd ball spec is 6GB of memory. That's a non-standard measurement but perhaps that is on device user memory (with 2GB of an 8GB supplied reserved for the "Kindle OS").

And speaking of OS ... Android 2.2 variant? I wonder how long that will last? I get the desire to reskin and customize but, really, building an OS is really, really hard and Amazon is biting off a lot here if it is its intention to be an OS shop -- even if only for its own devices -- over the long haul.

This is not quite the device Forrester states is capable of blunting iPad in Q4 but then there seems to be nothing coming to market to do more than make a dent (Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1 and other models in the series might to some degree).

It will be fascinating to see what is actually announced. Forrester was talking about 3 to 5 million Amazon color devices sold before year end provided it could acquire enough supplies.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Wohoo!!!

Looks promising. Of course, see to believe, but looks credible. Let's wait and see what happens.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
This sounds rather tasty. I just wish we'd hear it from the horses mouth, already.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:19 PM   #7
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
This sounds rather tasty. I just wish we'd hear it from the horses mouth, already.
Hoo, boy, you'll come to regret THAT wish! Something tells me Amazon will not be shy with telling us all about it come October.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:20 PM   #8
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Wow,the rumor mill is really going into overdrive here!
I usually take these rumors with a barrel of salt but the level of detail certainly hints at authenticity!
It certainly seems to jibe with our specualations here, except even more so. An Android fork from 2.1? Wow-is it even compatible with most of the apps in the Google Market? Looks to me like Amazon is going out of its way NOT to be in harmony with Google.

The deep integration with Amazon stores is as expected. I only hope that the Amazon music and video player apps are as good at what they do as the Kindle app is as good at what it does.

One thing that really stood out: the offer of Amazon Prime if you bought the device. Over and above the free shipping, that also means free acces to Amazon VOD. That might make buying the device worthwhile right there.
My brother, who loves Amazon, might actually buy this device, even though he has an iPad.

Last edited by stonetools; 09-02-2011 at 05:23 PM.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
So probably no Netflix unless rooted. Hmm, looks like I'm gonna have to start checking what their video streaming library looks like. I've already got a Prime subscription (they gave me 3 months free when they started the service and I was hooked). I just use Netflix because of Windows Media Center integration. Really wish Amazon would release a streaming video plug-in for WMC. For that matter, I wish they'd release a shopping plug-in for WMC. Would be nice to be able to buy stuff using the remote.

The Kindle tablet is looking mighty attractive. At the very least, their app store has Kobo and Mantano so that should cover my ePub needs.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 09-02-2011 at 05:23 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
So probably no Netflix unless rooted.
I honestly don't understand why people insist in rooting devices ....

Why Netflix if you have Amazon Video On demand and Prime? Granted, I have both, but I think 7" is too small for that anyway, don't you think? I've used my wife's HTC Windows phone and Netlifx and it is too small for watching a 2 hr movie. 10" is probably better.

If I jump and buy one of these, will be for the software itself and Amazon's integration. Rooting will "kill" that.

But that's just me ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #11
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
So probably no Netflix unless rooted.
I'm sure Netflix would be happy to release an app for Amazon's tablet
Old 09-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #12
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Other than being from Amazon, I just don't see what this offers that the NC doesn't. Granted, that's something of a big deal, but at the same time, I can see a lot of people wanting something like the iPad, but much cheaper and being very disappointed by the very limited nature of this, since you're very much locked down and limited to what you can do with it (going by that article).
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #13
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It will be fascinating to see what is actually announced. Forrester was talking about 3 to 5 million Amazon color devices sold before year end provided it could acquire enough supplies.
That won't happen. But I could see 1.5-2M if it launches around November 1 .
According to the article, no new Eink Kindle this year. Its tablets only until maybe deep into next year.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #14
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Yup. I'm surprised there isn't a Netflix app in Amazon's app store. I expect there will be by launch date.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I honestly don't understand why people insist in rooting devices ....
Didn't say I was going to root. Just making an observation. The Kindle tablet is open enough and appears like it'll have a great interface that I don't think I'll be wanting to root.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Why Netflix if you have Amazon Video On demand and Prime? Granted, I have both, but I think 7" is too small for that anyway, don't you think?
Available content. When Amazon launched their instant streaming with Prime, the selection of videos left a lot to be desired. Well, the same is true of Netflix. There were videos available on Netflix that weren't available on Prime and vice versa. However, only Netflix had WMC integration which I require for the HTPC's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
They would. I just don't see Amazon allowing it. Oh, well, I could be wrong. They do have Kobo on their app store.

Smart of Amazon to release the low-end version first. This really is what most tablet manufacturers should have done to compete with the iPad. Build your customer base first and then, release the high end version once you've got people flocking to your device.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote