Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
porksoda
porksoda began at the beginning.

Device: none
Nook Color, or kindle 3?

I've recently decided that i should definitely get an e-reader. However, I'm finding its VERY difficult to choose for me. I heard that the amazon gets around two weeks of battery and has a larger library than the nook. those two things and the ability to read in bright sunlight are big advantages, but I'm really not sure how much the black flash from the display would get on my nerves. the battery on the nook color is a concern for me, i cant seem to find an estimate for that anywhere, but i really appreciate the fonts on the nook and the overall presentation of your books, it seemed a lot more realistic to me when i was trying one out in the store. also the nook has the ability to read in the dark. that's a plus in my opinion. I tried both of them out in bestbuy side by side and I still can't for the life of me make a decision. Might any of you have an opinion or some advantages/disadvantages that I'm not seeing? Also, exactly how noticeable a difference is there in the nook/amazon libraries? which has a bigger selection?
porksoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
Cerridwyn
Cerridwyn began at the beginning.

Device: NookColor
It's a personal choice.

I had a Sony for years, loved the reader, however when it died the customer service stank and I now own, as of yesterday, a Nook Color and I am re-in-love.

Yes, Kindle has a bit better battery life and a few more books available. Book cost at BN is cheaper than it was at Sony. I like the color availability as well. The color is not 3G but you can get a black and white 3G. The color reminds me of a cross between a smartphone and a small netbook.

When I bought my sony I drove about 100 miles round trip to actually touch one before I bought it. I did the same with the Nook. I have tried others that do not feel right to me. You can never touch the kindle first.

If you have a BN, go handle one. To me, it feeling right is what makes it right.
Cerridwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #3
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by porksoda View Post
I've recently decided that i should definitely get an e-reader. However, I'm finding its VERY difficult to choose for me. I heard that the amazon gets around two weeks of battery and has a larger library than the nook. those two things and the ability to read in bright sunlight are big advantages, but I'm really not sure how much the black flash from the display would get on my nerves. the battery on the nook color is a concern for me, i cant seem to find an estimate for that anywhere, but i really appreciate the fonts on the nook and the overall presentation of your books, it seemed a lot more realistic to me when i was trying one out in the store. also the nook has the ability to read in the dark. that's a plus in my opinion. I tried both of them out in bestbuy side by side and I still can't for the life of me make a decision. Might any of you have an opinion or some advantages/disadvantages that I'm not seeing? Also, exactly how noticeable a difference is there in the nook/amazon libraries? which has a bigger selection?
Well, they are both excellent, but different devices. Really you need to decide between eink and lcd.

If you are only reading novels, the Kindle 3 is probably your best bet.

Unless: The screen flash bothers you (I suggest you read on one first before you make a judgment. It bothers some people, and not others) or, you read mostly at night in the dark (I'm not a big fan of clip on lights/light cases).

If you like to read magazines, newspapers, comics, children's books, PDF's, or online content, you probably will want a nook color.

Unless: LCD reading fatigues your eyes over extended periods (bothers some, not others) or you read outside or in direct sunlight. Also, battery life is a concern on the nook devices.

As far as book selection goes, Amazon has the best overall store, but the nook can read books bought from B&N, Sony, Kobo, Booksamillion, and many other stores as well as library checkout.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
porksoda
porksoda began at the beginning.

Device: none
thanks guys!
porksoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Very soon after I got my Kindle, I noticed that my eyes blinking were coordinated with the screen "flash", so that I never even see it any more. Completely automatic and unconscious.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 01:57 AM   #6
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Very soon after I got my Kindle, I noticed that my eyes blinking were coordinated with the screen "flash", so that I never even see it any more. Completely automatic and unconscious.
If you were never bothered about the 'break' you have between pages in a paper book, the 'flash' should not bother you.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Compare the bookstores and see which one has more of the books that you are interested in. Compare the devices and ask yourself which one do you think you will be more comfortable reading on for a long period of time.

They really are two totally different devices that serve different purposes. If you are going to be reading a lot of magazines or books with color photos, I would say go with the Nook Color. If you are going to be reading mainly novels and color is not important, I would say look at the Nook or Kindle.

As for the reading in the dark. I grew up reading in the dark using a lamp or a head lamp. It is not that difficult to do. I would not pay $100 more for a device so I can read in the dark. But that is me and my personal preference.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #8
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerridwyn View Post
You can never touch the kindle first.
This is simply not true. I played with a Kindle 3 on display at Best Buy before I bought mine.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
This is simply not true. I played with a Kindle 3 on display at Best Buy before I bought mine.
And Kindles are sold at Target and Staples. That is three major retailers available in the US.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #10
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Not to play a devil's advocate, but there is always the Pocketbook IQ ($150), it's an LCD reader (Android) that allows Kindle apps; that way, you sort of get the best of both worlds.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:45 PM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Not to play a devil's advocate, but there is always the Pocketbook IQ ($150), it's an LCD reader (Android) that allows Kindle apps; that way, you sort of get the best of both worlds.

Good point. If you are thinking of a Nook Color take a look at any of the other tablets. Then you can download apps to read books from Amazon and B&N and other e-readers. Plus you can have a device that you don't have to worry about rooting to use apps and the like.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #12
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I haven't seen a Pocketbook IQ, but I have seen/am reviewing some of the other affordable Android tablets and their displays are inferior to the Nook Color. Several have a resistive LCD that's grainy (next2, Huawei S7, Pandigital Novel). Others like the Cruz Reader are slow and buggy (and run at a lower resolution). The Nook Color is by no means a tablet computer, but thanks to the IPS display it's great for reading and the price is quite good for what you get.
MobileTechReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #13
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileTechReview View Post
I haven't seen a Pocketbook IQ, but I have seen/am reviewing some of the other affordable Android tablets and their displays are inferior to the Nook Color. Several have a resistive LCD that's grainy (next2, Huawei S7, Pandigital Novel). Others like the Cruz Reader are slow and buggy (and run at a lower resolution). The Nook Color is by no means a tablet computer, but thanks to the IPS display it's great for reading and the price is quite good for what you get.
been checking in on your review for the nook color, when should we expect it?

thanks
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #14
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I'll have our video review up later today

I've been an E-Ink person since the Sony PRS-500, but the Nook Color is the first LCD reader that tempts me.
MobileTechReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:47 PM   #15
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileTechReview View Post
I'll have our video review up later today

I've been an E-Ink person since the Sony PRS-500, but the Nook Color is the first LCD reader that tempts me.
Yeah !!!! I love your reviews.

yeah I'm an eink guy but for the past few days after some adjusting the brightness, toggling through different background colors, I'm finding reading on this screen actually *gasp* enjoyable
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote