Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #61
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Decided to bite the bullet and spend another $130 on a Kobo after less than a year and a half. The screen is definitely different, not sure how I feel about it. However, I don't think my finger "sticks" to it as someone mentioned earlier. I like how the new back feels, the device does seem slightly lighter, but for whatever reason it feels thicker, despite the dimensions and other people saying otherwise.

It is currently going through the updates, I will post more impressions when they're done.

P.S. For those of you who talked about the "bright" spot with the light on, I'm not sure if I have it or not, how big are these pixels and how much brighter? When I first turned it on, I thought I saw a very tiny spot that seemed to be a bit brighter, but then lost it after looking at it for 3 seconds. At certain angles, I feel like I might be seeing it again, but unsure..

Last edited by kobokobe; 10-02-2012 at 06:07 PM.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #62
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Actually the device, at least the KT, is first rate... it's the firmware and whoever designs the interface that is 3rd rate. Personally I think the 1.9.17 firmware homescreen is the best by far. It's a shame really the Kobo has sooo much potential, they really need a top notch UI designer. The UI should be intuitive, not the way it is now.

We should stop making a distinction between hardware and software in this way (IMHO). The device is the whole thing, and it should be judged as to how it performs the purpose for which it was sold. I am so tired of waiting for firmware updates to fix problems that should NOT be present in a device when it comes to market. I once read someone saying we should just return any device that has buggy firmware that prevents it doing what it was advertised to do. I am starting to agree.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #63
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
How is the screen? There seem to be a lot of complaints in the Kindle thread about the lighting. Does the Glo have better lighting than the Kindle or are Kindle owners just a very demanding bunch?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #64
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

What kind of complaints? I can't speak for the Kindle screen, as I have never seen it in person, but I don't really have any issues with my Glo screen.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #65
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Picked up my KG today and have had a few minutes to play with it. This is my first e-reader. A few initial impressions:

- The screen seems notably whiter than the KT I've played with in stores. A noticeable improvement.
- I really like the texture of the screen. It sort of feels like paper.
- Initial setup was quick and easy. Had an update as soon as I connected it to wifi.
- Keyboard was surprisingly responsive. I was able to type just about as fast as I do on my iPhone.
- Once I logged into my Kobo account, the sync was pretty well done. After just a short wait I had all my Kobo books on the device.
- Quickly tried out the light in a relatively well lit area and, this is important to emphasize, it didn't look anywhere near as blue as I've seen in videos.

Looking forward to playing with it more later this evening. So far, it really feels like the most significant difference between the KG and KP is marketing; just holding and playing with the KG really makes it feel like a real competitor to the Kindle. We'll see how many firmware oddities I run into later tonight.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #66
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
- Quickly tried out the light in a relatively well lit area and, this is important to emphasize, it didn't look anywhere near as blue as I've seen in videos.
This is really good to hear! Thankyou.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #67
Droid
Droid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo
Here goes another shot... I wrote my reply but my browser messed up and I lost everything. Teaches me to copy it before hitting "submit"!

So I bought my Glo today at Chapters. They had the poster up at the ereader table, but no Glo readers actually on display. There were no boxes to be seen anywhere, even behind the cashiers. I waited in line and asked if they had any, requested black, and she went into the back room to get one. I thought that they would be selling them more aggressively, not hidden away in the back room!

Anyway, I took the advice of people on the forums and checked for bad pixels in the store. I played around with the device (loved it right away!) and tried syncing with the wireless internet at Chapters. It started downloading a few books and then I lost the connection.

Having brought it home, I had to try another 3 times to get it to sync completely (it kept losing connection - I might exchange this one, since it had wireless difficulties with the two different networks). Anyway, that's the only negative I have seen so far. I do have about 40 or so books from Kobo that need to be synced. The sync worked in the end, though. Of course, I only really need to sync initially - it downloaded the firmware updates without a problem, so maybe the wireless isn't flaky.

The interface, despite what others in this forum say, is nice and streamlined. I only disliked the Touch interface when they tried selling me books that I didn't want along the bottom third of the screen. The latest Touch interface, which seemed to be about 95% the same as the Glo interface, is a great improvement. Everything is available from the home screen (except for the weird beta things that are more easter eggs such as Sudoku and the really basic browser that I never used anyway).

I normally use Calibre to transfer my books to the reader, but since Glo isn't supported yet, I just chose "save to disk" from within Calibre. This worked perfectly - except I had to go through and remove the book covers in .jpg format, since the Glo sees them as pictures. I think that a simple drag and drop would have worked better, just dragging .epub files onto the device.

The important thing with this one is the screen and glow function. In the store, it seemed that you needed it at 50% or higher to notice much of a glowing effect. At home, in a walk-in closet (the closest to nighttime reading I had at the point), minimum brightness looked fantastic. Maximum actually lit up the whole closet! Very, very bright light... too bright on maximum for night reading. The minimum should be great, though. I will know more tonight!

My screen looks nice and evenly lit, no bright spots or lines. I actually like reading it with minimum to 20% light even during the day in normal lighting conditions. It is remarkable how much this helps normal reading!

Page turns do seem to be quite a bit faster, although I didn't mind the Touch's page turns. The keyboard on this is FAR better than the Touch. The extra CPU speed is noticeable.

So far, having not read for a long time at night, I am very happy with the new reader. I always thought that the Touch was the near-perfect gadget, since it did one thing so well. Hopefully after putting the Glo through some heavy use, it will become my new go-to gadget.
Droid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #68
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Decent, if somewhat flawed review of the Glo. Some comments I wrote over there:

1) The Kobo Touch has 2GB of system memory, with 1GB available for storage of e-books. ( http://www.kobobooks.com/touch_tech ) This is the same as the Kobo Glo.
1.4GB free on the Touch, actually. (Settings -> Device Information -> "Onboard Storage: 47 MB of 1400 MB")
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #69
kobokobe
I am what I am

The glo has 1361 Mb of memory for us to actually use for books and what not, so pretty much the same. Can anyone confirm the latest firmware number for the glo? I'm told that it updates twice, but I was having wireless issues, so I set mine up on desktop and it seemed to update only once.

Last edited by kobokobe; 10-02-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:17 AM   #70
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
- I really like the texture of the screen. It sort of feels like paper.
Is this different to the Touch? It has a matte screen about the same roughness as paper too.

Quote:
- Keyboard was surprisingly responsive. I was able to type just about as fast as I do on my iPhone
Is the IR any more accurate? I have all sorts of trouble accurately trying to move the markers on a selected word, for example.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:13 AM   #71
kobokobe
I am what I am

The texture is definitely different, the Touch is way smoother, can't quite think of what to compare the two textures to, or decide which I like better.

The Touch was, I found, very responsive, except when selecting or highlighting a word or a sentence. On the Glo, it is still the most difficult action, but I find it slightly easier than on the Touch, although I'm not entirely sure.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:15 AM   #72
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
It's rougher, texture wise, than the Kobo or Kindle Touch - like good, heavy gauge paper. It's also VERY fast with PDF rendering - better than the Nexus 7 or a lot of Android devices using ezPDF. it blows the Sony PRS-600/650 out of the water, and the T1 as well. Ditto CBZ files, although I use programs like MangAI to rescale to 1024x758 to avoid resizing artifacts.

And it's quite a bit smaller than the Kindle Touch, and a full ounce lighter. I though I'd want the smaller size of the Mini more, but... that speed, the SD card slot, and the light make a huge difference.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:00 AM   #73
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
It's also VERY fast with PDF rendering - better than the Nexus 7 or a lot of Android devices using ezPDF. it blows the Sony PRS-600/650 out of the water, and the T1 as well. Ditto CBZ files, although I use programs like MangAI to rescale to 1024x758 to avoid resizing artifacts.
I assume it still can't reflow pdf text?
Old 10-03-2012, 04:53 AM   #74
Cap.T
Enthusiast
Cap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo, PRS-T1
Quote:
- Once I logged into my Kobo account, the sync was pretty well done. After just a short wait I had all my Kobo books on the device.
That's exactly what I don't want to happen. Is this sync of the Kobo Books you have bought with that account automatic or can that be turned of? Thanks!
Cap.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:58 AM   #75
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
I assume it still can't reflow pdf text?
Just checked - no Reflow option, just rotation. It's the software now- not a hardware limitation. Only the Sony PRS series ever had that option.

Most of my PDF files involve the use of multiple columns, funny formatting, or graphics so I've never used reflow. The speed of PDF rendering and scrolling is better than most PDF readers on Android, which is what counts for me.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote