Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-08-2011, 08:37 AM   #1
MaaB
MaaB began at the beginning.

Device: none
How Can I Buy A Kindle in Egypt?

Hello every one...I'm mohammed
I want to buy kindle 3G from any european country but i don't know which one i should buy (WiFi only or WiFi + 3G)
I will use it in egypt & i don't know if the 3G feature will work in egypt or not.
Thank you.
MaaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
As far as I know, amazon sites from European countries don't sell outside those countries' borders. And only amazon.co.uk sells the Kindle.
You';re better off with amazon.com if it sells to Egypt. If not...
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just checked and indeed amazon.com doesn't sell to Egypt.
In this case, either you're lucky and you have a friend/family member who either lives in the US or the UK or I heard there's this site that buys stuff for clients that can't have access to them. I this it's called US Unlocked.
I'm not sure how reliable it is, though.
Godd luck to you! Geographical restrictions stink!
Old 04-08-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousBadger View Post
As far as I know, amazon sites from European countries don't sell outside those countries' borders. And only amazon.co.uk sells the Kindle.
You';re better off with amazon.com if it sells to Egypt. If not...
That is wrong. Amazon sites in Europe sell for all the countries inside the EU at least. You can buy the Kindle in any Amazon site there and they send it to you.

Just check what options are available to your country.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DZ1Y7M
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #5
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salgueiros View Post
That is wrong. Amazon sites in Europe sell for all the countries inside the EU at least. You can buy the Kindle in any Amazon site there and they send it to you.

Just check what options are available to your country.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DZ1Y7M
I'm from Europe and my country does not have an amazon site. Whenever I tried to buy from amazon.de or amazon.co.uk, they immediately told me the merchandise only ships to Germany and the UK respectively. Trust me I have tried.

As for the Kindle, again I checked with amazon.de and amazon.it and they will provide the Kindle link at amazon.com.

EDIT: If you take a close look at the link you posted you will see it's from amazon.com where, yes, you can select your country and see if amazon will sell the device to you. Unfortunately for Mohammed, this is what amazon.com says if you select Egypt from the drop-down list:

Quote:
Unfortunately, we are currently unable to ship Kindles or offer Kindle content in Egypt.

Last edited by TenaciousBadger; 04-08-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I suggest that you click the tiny exclamation point in your original post and ask the mods to rename it "How Can I Buy A Kindle in Egypt?" Maybe then it will get a response from other Middle Easterners with experience to share.

I seem to remember that the Middle East is sort of a big blank area with e-readers and e-booksellers due to difficulties with licensing books there. Hopefully this has changed or will change soon for you.

EDIT: A lot of people get a Kindle from eBay if they are unable to get them in their region. Then you face the difficulty of geographical restriction On buying books, because it is based on your credit card billing address. I think they get around this restriction by using Amazon gift cards instead of credit cards.

Last edited by DixieGal; 04-08-2011 at 09:18 AM.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #7
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousBadger View Post
I'm from Europe and my country does not have an amazon site. Whenever I tried to buy from amazon.de or amazon.co.uk, they immediately told me the merchandise only ships to Germany and the UK respectively. Trust me I have tried.

As for the Kindle, again I checked with amazon.de and amazon.it and they will provide the Kindle link at amazon.com.

EDIT: If you take a close look at the link you posted you will see it's from amazon.com where, yes, you can select your country and see if amazon will sell the device to you. Unfortunately for Mohammed, this is what amazon.com says if you select Egypt from the drop-down list:
I have bought several things from Amazon UK and Amazon France and they sent me to Portugal without any problem. I wonder if your country is part of the EU?
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
http://tinyurl.com/3rv6z76
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:14 AM   #9
MaaB

Thanks Every one.but my friend may go to Sweden so i will tell him to buy the kindle for me...what i want to know...does the 3G feature will work in Egypt.if it work i will use it only for direct download of book not from kindle store but from other sites.if it not i will only use WiFi.
sorry for my bad English.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:15 AM   #10
MaaB

http://www.mediafire.com/?g9zq6vshojq165x

Last edited by montsnmags; 04-09-2011 at 04:08 AM. Reason: EDITED by Moderator to remove [IMG] tags which were not working. Link is to image hosted at mediafire
Old 04-09-2011, 03:45 AM   #11
hedwig
Book Worm
hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salgueiros View Post
I have bought several things from Amazon UK and Amazon France and they sent me to Portugal without any problem. I wonder if your country is part of the EU?
Egypt is in the Middle East. It is not part of the EU.

As Amazon does not sell/send the Kindle device to Egypt, I do not think it will be possible to purchase ebooks from Amazon either via wifi or 3G. Geo-restrictions will apply.
hedwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:26 AM   #12
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedwig View Post
As Amazon does not sell/send the Kindle device to Egypt, I do not think it will be possible to purchase ebooks from Amazon either via wifi or 3G. Geo-restrictions will apply.
Georestrictions are set by publishers, not Amazon. Certain titles will be restricted but I am sure that there are a lot of e-books that you can buy worldwide. You can check the availability in advance by using Kindle PC on a computer.

As far as I know, Egypt still has $2 surcharge for all Kindle e-books, even for the free ones. It also means that you can use Kindle in Egypt.

Amazon UK do not ship Kindles to other countries but everyone while in the UK can buy a Kindle in Tesco supermarkets. So, it is possible to ship Kindle to Egypt in one way or another. 3G coverage is different for US and UK models, and I recommend to check these links:
UK model: http://client0.cellmaps.com/viewer.html?cov=2&view=intl
US model: http://client0.cellmaps.com/viewer.html?cov=1&view=intl

For WiFi only models there is no difference.
karunaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:56 AM   #13
MaaB

My region support {EDGE/GPRS coverage (lower speed)}
I don't know what it mean.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:06 AM   #14
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaB View Post
My region support {EDGE/GPRS coverage (lower speed)}
I don't know what it mean.
It means that when using 3G Kindle model the average speed of downloading a book will be 20-30 seconds or longer instead of 3-5 seconds.
karunaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:08 AM   #15
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaB View Post
Thanks Every one.but my friend may go to Sweden so i will tell him to buy the kindle for me.
Sweden is NOT good country to buy an eReader of any kind in. Amazon does not have a Swedish site, so Kindles bought here (I'm in Sweden) have to be bought through Amazon's international sales site. Not only is shipping high, but be prepared to pay both VAT (25%) and customs fees (I'm guessing around 5-6%).

(Since Amazon does not have any Swedish Kindle books the Kindle is not marketed here at all.)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote