Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle
Changes not saving until I exit out of Sigil...

Currently using 5.1

Apparently all my obsessive saving while I work on a file is completely wasted. Although it will say that the file has been saved when you press Ctrl-S, it doesn't actually save the file until you close out of the programs. Practically speaking, what this means is that if you work on a file for an hour, saving every fifteen minutes, and your computer crashes or requires a forced shutdown of Sigil, all your work over the last hour will be lost.

I'm not sure how you guys can duplicate this event... but it's no happened several times to me. I just wasn't sure that it was behaving as I thought until now.
ElMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I think what you're experiencing is the difference between "being saved" and "actually seeing the results of your latest changes" in book view.

Saved is saved. If it crashes... you're only losing everything since the last save. It's just that sometimes, you're not seeing the updated results in book view (in the case of changing fonts or images) until you restart.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2012, 02:48 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
easy proof
1. open a file in Sigil
2. switch to explorer, move/rename that file.
3. switch back to SIgil then CTRL S.
4. back to explorer: see that it reappears.

that's with 0.4.2.. Win 7.(Still have not found a compelling reason to upgrade to V5... )
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
easy proof
1. open a file in Sigil
2. switch to explorer, move/rename that file.
3. switch back to SIgil then CTRL S.
4. back to explorer: see that it reappears.

that's with 0.4.2.. Win 7.
I might expect a Sigil error if you did that.

If there is a filename assigned, then Save expects to overwrite (replace) an existing file.
If you are creating a New destination file, you need to use Save As..

BTW Windows explorer does not always auto refresh the display without a new file, you need to hit refresh (F5) to see time stamp changes.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I might expect a Sigil error if you did that.

If there is a filename assigned, then Save expects to overwrite (replace) an existing file.
If you are creating a New destination file, you need to use Save As..

BTW Windows explorer does not always auto refresh the display without a new file, you need to hit refresh (F5) to see time stamp changes.
I wasn't sure if it would work so I tested before posting - no errors.

I loaded an existing file into sigil, then renamed that file in explorer, then clicked save in sigil, then refreshed explorer window. I saw both renamed & newly replaced original

so sigil "save" creates a file with the current file name, if that file no longer exists, overwrites if it does already exist.
Advert
Old 03-24-2012, 12:24 AM   #6
markjoseph
markjoseph began at the beginning.

Device: nook kindle
Where did my chapters go?

I loaded an unedited epub into Sigil. Then edited it section by section, formatting using html and editing the text.

I created chapter breaks for each section I wanted to appear on a new page. There were about 60 of these. I planned on merging them later.

I hit Ctrl-S for each section and renamed it, ie., Book Three a.xhtml; Atropos XI.xhtml, etc. Then edited and saved.

I closed Sigil after a few days of this editing and reopened the file. The last two days of edits were gone.

It looked fine until I closed it. Upon reopening it had reverted to a March 21 version. The March 23 version (finished) is gone. I lost 20 hours of work.

Any thoughts? Thanks Mark
markjoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjoseph View Post

I loaded an unedited epub into Sigil. Then edited it section by section, formatting using html and editing the text.

I created chapter breaks for each section I wanted to appear on a new page. There were about 60 of these. I planned on merging them later.

I hit Ctrl-S for each section and renamed it, ie., Book Three a.xhtml; Atropos XI.xhtml, etc. Then edited and saved.

I closed Sigil after a few days of this editing and reopened the file. The last two days of edits were gone.

It looked fine until I closed it. Upon reopening it had reverted to a March 21 version. The March 23 version (finished) is gone. I lost 20 hours of work.

Any thoughts? Thanks Mark
I use the Save Icon before every REGEX change

I also Quit and reload Sigil every couple of hours to always have the most buffer space (just in case there are memory Leaks).

So the question is: What version number of Sigil are you using?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:55 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard

another explanation is that you had two copies of the book open in 2 instances of sigil - easy to do by mistake. if I launch from calibre I get a new instance of sigil each time, so all I have to do is forget to close the previous one & voila...

then you worked in 1 version but (later) saved the other.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:14 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
another explanation is that you had two copies of the book open in 2 instances of sigil - easy to do by mistake. if I launch from calibre I get a new instance of sigil each time, so all I have to do is forget to close the previous one & voila...

then you worked in 1 version but (later) saved the other.
I'm pretty sure markjoseph admitted in another thread that this is exactly what happened.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote