Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
gertblij
Enthusiast
gertblij has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
Open book through Catalogue link

I managed to create the MOBI Catalogue for my Kindle 3. Works fine.

But I was hoping I could use the links in the Catalogue to open a book. IOW replace the Kindle standard Collection functionality with the multiple access option of the Catalogue (like in: a dream come true).

Is this possible?

TIA
Gert
gertblij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
not as far as I know.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I spent some time looking at this (for the Kindle) when first implementing the catalog code, and was unable to find a way to jump from one book (the catalog) to another (the book you want to read). I've also tried and failed on the iPad.

I'll be willing to entertain an enhancement request to add the necessary code to the catalog generation code if someone comes up with the necessary href structure.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 10-13-2010 at 04:16 PM.
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
I spent some time looking at this when first implementing the catalog code, and was unable to find a way to jump from one book (the catalog) to another (the book you want to read).

If anyone discovers the required href pattern, I'll be happy to add the necessary code to the catalog generation code.

G
That might not even be possible, depending on the reader. I know, for example, that on the Cybook Gen3, external links (as in links to other files, not to the web or anything) are not supported.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was referring to the Kindle in my post, as that's the device that the OP appears to use. I've actually searched for solutions on both the Kindle and the iPad without any luck.

G
Advert
Old 10-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

I know you were. I was merely stating what I believe to be a helpful fact.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #7
GRiker

Thanks for that, I wasn't thinking past my own devices, while I should have been.

G
Old 10-14-2010, 03:31 AM   #8
gertblij
Enthusiast
gertblij has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
I spent some time looking at this (for the Kindle) when first implementing the catalog code, and was unable to find a way to jump from one book (the catalog) to another (the book you want to read). I've also tried and failed on the iPad.

I'll be willing to entertain an enhancement request to add the necessary code to the catalog generation code if someone comes up with the necessary href structure.

G
Thanks GRiker and thanks for the great work you are doing with the catalogue.

Here is what I am trying to get at: It took me a (little) while to get used to the Calibre approach of tags and genres iso the age old directory hierachy, but once I got used to it I just loved it.

Obviously, like the rest of the world, I am not impressed with the Kindle implementation of their "Collections" (although better than nothing I guess). Your catalogue, with clickable links to the books would open up a whole new world of navigating the Kindle.

If it is physically not possible, then ofcourse it is a no go, but maybe there is work around by converting an ebooks tags to Kindle Collections. I read somewhere that these Collections are stored in a file somewhere on the Kindle, but that Calibre is unlikely to go that route because Kovid is not very interested. Maybe you can do it through the Catalog.

In the end all we would need is to manage the tags/genres through Calibre and have them automatically transferred to the Kindle either through your catalogue or by creating Kindle collections.

Gert
gertblij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:57 AM   #9
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gertblij View Post
If it is physically not possible, then ofcourse it is a no go, but maybe there is work around by converting an ebooks tags to Kindle Collections. I read somewhere that these Collections are stored in a file somewhere on the Kindle, but that Calibre is unlikely to go that route because Kovid is not very interested. Maybe you can do it through the Catalog.
I do not think it is a case of Kovid not being interested, but the fact that no way has (yet anyway) been found to properly create the files that the Kindle needs to manage collections. It is not at all clear whether this is resolvable via the USB interface to the Kindle.

Quote:
In the end all we would need is to manage the tags/genres through Calibre and have them automatically transferred to the Kindle either through your catalogue or by creating Kindle collections.

Gert
This is the way that devices such as the Sony family are now handled as far as collection support is concerned. Bringing the Kindle family in line will be highly desirable if the technical issues can be resolved.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:18 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I do not think it is a case of Kovid not being interested, but the fact that no way has (yet anyway) been found to properly create the files that the Kindle needs to manage collections. It is not at all clear whether this is resolvable via the USB interface to the Kindle.
IIRC, Kovid's experiments demonstrated that the only way to change collections over USB was to write the collections.json file (the "file somewhere on the kindle"), and then require that the kindle be rebooted (or restarted or whatever they call it). The reboot step is considered beyond acceptable. If new info surfaces about how to avoid the reboot, I am sure that collection support will be revisited.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:34 AM   #11
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks for that, I wasn't thinking past my own devices, while I should have been.

G
I just realized I could have elaborated a bit further: Both devices use a Mobi- based firmware (I don't know how heavily the Kindle's has been modified, but the Cybook's stay relatively true to the original) and thus probably share similar limitations.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:02 AM   #12
GRiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
I just realized I could have elaborated a bit further: Both devices use a Mobi- based firmware (I don't know how heavily the Kindle's has been modified, but the Cybook's stay relatively true to the original) and thus probably share similar limitations.
The Mobipocket developer documentation suggests that book-to-book links are possible. This was the first approach I tried, but its failure suggested to me that Amazon had modified the original Mobipocket firmware to disable the feature. Maybe other MOBI readers are functional in this respect.

G
Old 10-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
IIRC, Kovid's experiments demonstrated that the only way to change collections over USB was to write the collections.json file (the "file somewhere on the kindle"), and then require that the kindle be rebooted (or restarted or whatever they call it). The reboot step is considered beyond acceptable. If new info surfaces about how to avoid the reboot, I am sure that collection support will be revisited.
Yes, I have no motivation to implement this since it requires rebooting the device on each connect. Plus, there is no way to specify collections when sending books via email.

Frankly Amazon's implementation is rather poorly thought out, from the perspective of people that use the Kindle for reading non Amazon documents.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:04 AM   #14
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Frankly Amazon's implementation is rather poorly thought out, from the perspective of people that use the Kindle for reading non Amazon documents.
I believe that's at least part of the point...

Tags
catalog, link