Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-14-2016, 06:10 AM   #1
pstjmack
Connoisseur
pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Android tablet
Best practice in approaching mags/blogs for reviews?

I have a small indie publisher with limited time on his hands, so I tend to approach review venues myself. Does anyone have any tips on best practice and the best way to get results? Naturally I'll follow the guidelines that each platform puts up, but more general tips would be welcome.

I work in the horror/dark fiction field, but I'm assuming that this won't be much different from other genres.

Thanks!
pstjmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:21 AM   #2
AndrewMowere
Connoisseur
AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I can't really think of anything special except the usual few things I do to try and attract the attention of bloggers and reviewers:

1- Read their guidelines very clearly, don't try to sneak in something they may not like. Misinterpreting is sadly not an excuse.
2-Be professional in that you keep a general template of info about your work. Genre, length, current rating score (which you may have to omit becasuse some reviewers hate those), short synopsis, info about yourself. It makes it much easier to communicate.
3- For the rest of your query, be a bit more personal. Demonstrate your knowledge of what they've done. I don't know about magazines, but many review bloggers take a lot of time out of their lives so it helps to know you took some yourself and got to know them.
4- Don't expect a reply.

I'm sure you know all of this and are looking for more precise information, but hey.
AndrewMowere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:43 PM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMowere View Post
I can't really think of anything special except the usual few things I do to try and attract the attention of bloggers and reviewers:

1- Read their guidelines very clearly, don't try to sneak in something they may not like. Misinterpreting is sadly not an excuse.
2-Be professional in that you keep a general template of info about your work. Genre, length, current rating score (which you may have to omit becasuse some reviewers hate those), short synopsis, info about yourself. It makes it much easier to communicate.
3- For the rest of your query, be a bit more personal. Demonstrate your knowledge of what they've done. I don't know about magazines, but many review bloggers take a lot of time out of their lives so it helps to know you took some yourself and got to know them.
4- Don't expect a reply.

I'm sure you know all of this and are looking for more precise information, but hey.
This was going to be my advice.
I will add follow the guidelines exactly. Do not deviate at all. If you deviate at all, your book will more than likely not even be read. The logic there is if you can't follow simple guidelines, your writing is probably not good so why waste my time even looking at it.

2nd: Do not expect to submit your book on Tuesday at noon and get a review by 2pm.
Give the reviewers some time. (I have actually seen this one more than once.)

3. Follow the guidelines and have patience.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:02 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
It would be helpful for that publisher to have some Review Copies made available to legitimate reviewers.

[Fixed the sentence for my intended meaning.]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-14-2016 at 04:36 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote