Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-29-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
BranMakMorn
Enthusiast
BranMakMorn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quick Question Re: Pdf files and annotations

Hi everyone, I have a quick question and your answer will decide whether or not I will order the new Kindle.

I am a research student and I need a device which can display pdfs since I mostly read scholarly articles. I also need to be able to highlight passages, annotate, create bookmarks and possibly to have a basic search function for each single pdf (of course for a whole collection of pdfs would be terrific).

Does the new Kindle offer all of this?
[And as an aside, for those of you who have a Kindle already: do you think that a standard A4 pdf with text (no figures) would end up too small to read on the 6 inches screen?]

I have tried to find an answer reading reviews and comments but it is pretty damn hard to have a straight answer. If you can help me it would be fantastic,

Thanks!
BranMakMorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
An A4 PDF will not display well on any 6" device.

To be honest with you, the best device currently on the market for displaying and annotating PDFs is the Apple iPad. The Kindle DX will display them OK, but it currently has no annotation capabilities for PDF files (although this will probably change in a future firmware update).

If you're looking for a device now though, I'd go for the iPad (if it's within your budget, of course).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:36 AM   #3
BranMakMorn
Enthusiast

Thanks Harry,

yeah, the poblem is the budget indeed. A wi-fi only Kindle is what 1/3 of the price of an iPad? Maybe less?

So anyway, you are confirming that on both Kindle3 and KindleDX graphite you CANNOT annotate and highlight pdfs, right?
Old 08-29-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I completely understand about the budget.

No, the Kindle 3 will allow you to annotate a PDF, but it won't display an A4 PDF at all well. The Kindle DX will display an A4 PDF well, but it won't (currently at least) allow you to annotate it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:48 AM   #5
BranMakMorn
Enthusiast

Great...

Oh well, I'll wait a bit and perhaps see if I can find a cheap second-hand 16gb iPad somewhere?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Tags
kindle 3, pdf bookmarks