Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
woodmansnow
woodmansnow began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Red face send calibre library

Is there a way to send my 4000 book library to my sister in other state she has kindle also ?? or can i make several DVDs mail them in snail mail and have her install calibre on her computer and put books back in her calibre program? i confused
woodmansnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmansnow View Post
Is there a way to send my 4000 book library to my sister in other state she has kindle also ?? or can i make several DVDs mail them in snail mail and have her install calibre on her computer and put books back in her calibre program? i confused
I think the DVD or a USB pen-drive, might be the way (Oh! My! Gigs of stuff).

To make it easy for her, quit Calibre completly.

1) Zip up the entire (Calibre) Library folder (contains metadata.db and the authors folders) and burn the Zip to the DVD. The reason to Zip: DVD files all become READ ONLY: even when copied to the HD. Only the Zip is read only, the contents unzip in their original state )

2)Copy the Library folder to the Pen Drive (4G (or more?))

When your Sis get the media.
Have her un-zip (or Copy the USB) to a Brand New "Library folder"
The start Calibre and use the Library Icon menu to "Switch.." to the new Library.

She now has 2 Libraries. Hers and Yours. She can decide if she wants to merge: all/part or not-ever
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
well69
well69 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
isn't there a backup program that would allow the OP to select the folder to burn multiple dvds onto?
well69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
If these are DRM free, what about zipping them and using one of the online sites like dropbox or mediafire??
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
If these are DRM free, what about zipping them and using one of the online sites like dropbox or mediafire??
That is almost exactly (just no zipping) how I am sharing books with my parents on the other side of the world.

We setup a shared folder in Dropbox, I do "Save to disc" to that folder saving all the metadata/covers and books. They then do "Add from folder" with their Calibre when they see new files have arrived and delete them from the Dropbox folder. No fuss, no muss.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
Archon
Zealot
Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Mac OSX, iPad, iPod, & Nook
Solution #1
Zip the entire library and burn it to a series of dvd's. Most good burning software will span disks for large files.
Mail it to her.

Solution #2
Zip it
Rar it and Par it ( I am assuming you are using Windows - http://www.rarlab.com/rar_file.htm http://www.techsono.com/faq/par.html)
and use the Dropbox method to transfer large numbers of segments at a time.

Solution #3
Zip it
Solution #1
Zip the entire library and burn it to a series of dvd's. Most good burning software will span disks for large files.

Solution #2
Zip it
Rar it and Par it
and email it to her one section at a time and she can re-assemble it once she gets all the segments. (I hear that is how they do it on the newsgroups. I wouldn't know but a friend of a friend told me.)
This would be a long tedious process though.

Happy Humpday Eve
Archon is offline   Reply With Quote