Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-14-2006, 09:08 AM   #1
design256
Connoisseur
design256 doesn't litterdesign256 doesn't litter

Device: Irex Iliad
Formatting my newspaper

My local newspaper allows me to by a PDF edition. However, in its native form (designed for A3) it is impossible to read on the Iliad.

I have tried Ali's perl script to split and rotate it, but, while the resultant PDF is readable, it is nearly ten times the size of the original (9MB from 900KB for two pages!!) and the Iliad takes stupid amounts of time to load the pages - nearly 20 minutes in one case...

Does anybody have any ideas how I can read my newspaper on my Iliad without having the time to make and drink a coffee between each page, and without needing a microscope?

If you'd like to play, the original pdf is on: http://cjx.com/paper1.pdf

The version formatted by Ali's script is on: http://cjx.com/paper1_iliad.pdf
design256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:31 AM   #2
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
Ok, i tried pdf2txt and reflowing it using the acrobat reader, but both versions produced... how to say it... fertilizer. pdf2txt was slightly more fertile, but that's surely not the way to go.

Do you think you could ask your local newspaper to produce a .txt version? That should be no big deal and significantly easier to process. (You couldn't get the weather graphs, though)
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2006, 11:28 AM   #3
pdam
Groupie
pdam doesn't litterpdam doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, iPaq, Psion5&7, Blackberry
I also tried it with Acrobat 6 Pro, more garbage produced ... you simply can't reflow documents with highly formatted pages and lots of graphics well ... now if you can get an HTML or XML version ... then you'd have something to play with ... it the paper available online?
pdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:57 AM   #4
design256
Connoisseur

Unfortunately, you can only view through their reader app or save as a PDF - and I think we're very lucky to get that - most newspapers only let you read online.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:53 PM   #5
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
online reading would actually allow you to spider the content and clean it up.

Whereas pdf processing... well, it isn't fun, really. It's really ment for viewing and for printing, not for further processing.
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2006, 05:29 PM   #6
pdam
Groupie
pdam doesn't litterpdam doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, iPaq, Psion5&7, Blackberry
i had a quick look online - the flash reader ... seems to be a clever way of reading a pdf, no help - as DHer mentions - you can scrape the online version ... or better still - let you're paper know of your dillema and see if they can help you - they are obviously tech savy for a local rag - it would probably be relatively easy for them to knock up an Iliad version, give themselves some great exposure and another channel to engage with their advertisers ... (and possibly you your paper on the Iliad :-)

Last edited by pdam; 09-15-2006 at 04:00 AM.
pdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:02 PM   #7
design256
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdam
i had a quick look online - the flash reader ... seems to be a clever way of reading a pdf, no help - as DHer mentions - you can scrape the online version ... or better still - let you're paper know of your dillema and see if they can help you - they are obviously tech savy for a local rag - it would probably be relatively easy for them to knock up an Iliad version, give themselves some great exposure and another channel to engage with there advertisers ... (and possibly you your paper on the Iliad :-)
Actually, the EADT is owned by Archant who also own several hundred other local papers around the UK. They have been responsive to requests for new features, so I guess it's worth a try...
Old 10-05-2006, 03:26 PM   #8
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by design256
I have tried Ali's perl script to split and rotate it, but, while the resultant PDF is readable, it is nearly ten times the size of the original (9MB from 900KB for two pages!!)
Sorry I took so long getting around to this, I've been, otherwise engaged.

I'm sorry but my Java tool added 1679 bytes whilst rotating your file to 90 degrees with double pages. I hope that isn't too much larger to meet your needs.

Enjoy!

(my code is posted somewhere in the iLiad forum)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf iLiad.paper1.pdf (898.6 KB, 431 views)
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote