Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

View Poll Results: Should people buy an Iliad or not?
Yes, buy one right now 20 32.26%
No, wait until the software works as advertised 29 46.77%
No, wait until Irex supports open source developments 6 9.68%
No, buy a Hanlin/Sony instead 7 11.29%
No, wait for the next eBook generation 8 12.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2006, 03:55 AM   #1
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
POLL to Iliad owners: Should people buy an Iliad or not?

Apparently a lot of people think about buying an Iliad.

People who have one struggle with software deficiencies, short battery life, network connectivity limited to iDS, devices bricking themselves, ebook conversion woes, lacking DRM support, iRex trying to keep developers down and more...

What would you say? Was it worth it (=650 Euros)? Should people wait or just go ahead and grab one?
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:58 AM   #2
Tscherno
iLiad Geek
Tscherno began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad #505; Sony T1, Amazon Paperwhite first Gen & sec is coming!
Apart from geeks, i would not recommend the device with the current software...
Tscherno is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2006, 04:21 AM   #3
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
I think that if they're not geek-type I-must-have-it-now (or desperate-to-read, like me), not only for the software, but they should also wait for the price to come down.
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:23 AM   #4
masc
Enthusiast
masc began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
I also think that in the current state of the software they would have big problems with "normal users". This device is now a geek tool.
masc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:40 AM   #5
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
i agree. Geek tool now, when software is ready, great tool. But too expensive for people, who just want to read books.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2006, 04:42 AM   #6
High 5
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
High 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket ebook,Cybook, Hiebook, Iliad
Wait for the software.
At this moment the Iliad is more suitable to satisfy the needs of modern day wizards who must have a new toy to hack, or for the enthousiast that doesn't care if the software is still buggy as long as she/he can read the 100s of e-book files that are clogging up the harddrive.
High 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:25 AM   #7
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
I love my iLiad. Today is the 4th day after shipping I found out "I don't want to live without it anymore". This little device changed my reading habits completely.

To my surprise reading on iLiad feels really like reading on paper. Thanks to eink-technology. Time of fatigable reading long documents on laptop screen is over for me.

Hyperlinking in pdf files [page croping is your friend; yes iliad's software is limited right now] works already. It's a bonus that "all" scientists use pdflatex which creates hyperlinks in toc.

This was a great moment: iLiad runs out of power - but the last page stays on screen, so eink works! If iRex works on power management iLiad will a even more cool device. Status quo: iLiad is a promising geek toy which I use several days a day.

I would buy an [not finished] iLiad again, if i could choice. But that's my humble opinion.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:20 AM   #8
haasiesoft
Enthusiast
haasiesoft began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Hi,

i only need a ebook reader for pdf files. Most of them are office-Doc (A4) printed as PDF File. (e.g. work-orders, excel-sheets, technical docs)

is the iliad - today - a good device for reading "a4 pdf" files ?

thx andreas
haasiesoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:23 AM   #9
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak

No, the zoom function doesn't work yet, so only A5ish files look good on the iLiad, the A4's are to small to read properly.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:40 AM   #10
haasiesoft
Enthusiast

... damm

when will the zoom-function available ? How will it“s works. Flip the screen in 2 sec. will the zoom or scrolling in 2 sec - same as flip a page.
with 2 sec for scrolling i think the page will not really readable. Or?
Old 07-27-2006, 03:42 AM   #11
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
I think today it is the best tool on the "western market" if you simply just want to read books and don't care if you pay 100 or 200 Euros more then for simplier devices in maybe 3-4 month (or longer? who knows ...)

I personaly don't really care if someone tries to hack into the device to surf the net with the device or if this ebook reader has a simple self constructed organizer software or not. I just read on it and everybody else who wants the device for that purpose and who is used to load the batteries of his/her device like used to from a laptop or PDA will be as happy with it as me.

If you look for more i would suggest to wait.

If you have a big DRM protected library already i would also consider to wait and see what will happen. But on the other hand there are enough ways to bypass DRM protection or to buy non DRM protected ebooks.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:20 AM   #12
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak

The zoom function is in one of the future software versions (they know it's missing and are working on it, it's not something they never thought to handle). E-ink itself is not really fast reacting, so I guess zoom will take 1-2 seconds to do at its fastest. On the other hand, quality of reading is absolutely great, unbelievable, and as Sischa says, I am more than happy with it for reading, I don't plan to surf the net or use it for anything else, as far as reading goes, it really works for me.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:08 AM   #13
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
What would you say? Was it worth it (=650 Euros)? Should people wait or just go ahead and grab one?
Depends on who the "people" are... Consumers shouldn't buy, but Geeks should consider it if they have a lot of electronic docs they want to read without cutting down trees.
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:37 AM   #14
haasiesoft
Enthusiast

sorry - new question -

what about notes on pdf files ? it is possible to save the note“s on a pdf file -
e.g. read a memo - take notes on it - tranfer to pc - and print the pdf file with the notes ?
thx andreas
Old 07-27-2006, 05:52 AM   #15
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak

Notes on pdf are not possible right now, and I'm not sure if they will become possible (according to iRex, it depends on format and content, drm and all that), but on .xeb it already is possible, and it will becomes so on more formats with time. It creates a copy of the original with the notes on it.