Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-25-2008, 12:45 AM   #1
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Thumbs down SonyStyle customer service

I've been reading the posts about the new 505 cover with the built-in light wedge and decided I'd wander over to a nearby SonyStyle store to see what all the fuss was about.

It was not the brightest thing for me to pick a busy Saturday evening to go, but there I was, wandering a crowded store with all sorts of "shiny" displays to temp and distract me. (The widescreen mini flat-screen television was absolutely cool!)

Anyway, I found the readers (blue and silver), but there was no display of the cover with light. A pair of customer service guys wander over:

"I was hoping to see a display model of the reader cover with the built-in light?"

"Oh, sorry, it's not on display."

[Awkward pause.]

"Hmmm, well, at $70, it's not something I'm willing to purchase without seeing it in action first!" (They could pull one out of the box, yeah?)

[Awkward pause.]

"No, sorry."

[Potential buyer walks out of busy store, too disenchanted to look at any of the distracting "shiny" displays.]
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:26 AM   #2
DailyPlanet
This world is not my home
DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Oasis 2
Hmmm. I just bought one today and nearly the opposite happened. The SonyStyle Store had 3 readers on display (Silver, Blue, and the James Patterson) but no book lights. I was trading in my 500 for the Patterson 505 and I didn't even see the lights, when I said to the clerk that I had seen them online and asked when they would be in stock. He brought me over one and opened it up and even took the batteries out to turn it on. I had already decided to buy one, but it surprised me nonetheless.

Last edited by DailyPlanet; 08-25-2008 at 07:04 AM.
DailyPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2008, 02:42 AM   #3
bmwvan
Connoisseur
bmwvan is on a distinguished road

Device: hp iPAQ 4700/Fictionwise reader/Sony 505
I'm sorry to hear those stories. The salesmen couldn't get a light cover out of the "back" quickly enough for us. They really pushed it and many other accessories.

Van
bmwvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Well, here's my story:

Two weeks ago my fiance and I drove through 9 different states in order to legalize documents. We didn't stop at all the Borders in all 9 states, as time was pressing, but we did stop at 4 different stores in 4 different states.

The result: NO LIGHT-WEDGE COVERS.

They had yet to get them in. Interestingly, all I wanted to do was give someone money in exchange for a product, but I guess the U.S.D. is still in decline......

NOTE: That previous sentence was written tongue-in-cheek. Actually, the U.S.D is somewhat healthier right now, perhaps due in part to someone leaving office shortly....

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
NOTE: That previous sentence was written tongue-in-cheek. Actually, the U.S.D is somewhat healthier right now, perhaps due in part to someone leaving office shortly....
Who? You couldn't mean "still President Bush"?

"I don't see that America has any problems." - George Bush, Aug 2008

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Who? You couldn't mean "still President Bush"?

"I don't see that America has any problems." - George Bush, Aug 2008

BOb
Hey, hey, hey, let's not get too political. I'd hate to see a flame war erupt. Not that I'm disagreeing, mind you.

I went to a Borders here in Chicago last weekend and they didn't have the light wedge cover, either. I agree that it's far too expensive to buy sight unseen, but I would very much like a better alternative to the little clip lights I've been using. Neither lights the surface of the Reader evenly and both are too bright in a dark room. Does anyone have confirmation that the light wedge cover will ever go to Borders? Or do I need to a make a trip out to the Sony Style store in the 'burbs?
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:55 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Supposedly the bug light is quite nice.

[url]https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12668/url]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio717 View Post
My Mighty Bright, the black dual-antennae one, is 3.25 ounces (with batteries installed but without the Reader attached ).

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:45 PM   #8
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Supposedly the bug light is quite nice.

[url]https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12668/url]
I love your Mighty Bright! Hell, I can read your Pride and Prejudice from here without even squinting!
Where can I pick one up?

Tim
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:46 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
I love your Mighty Bright! Hell, I can read your Pride and Prejudice from here without even squinting!
Where can I pick one up?

Tim
The light is actually an XtraFlex - DUET - Dual Head Music Light. The link I posted is a Google search for it. It goes from about $16 to $20.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...ht&btnG=Search
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote