Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you miss the Kobo happy-face graphic?
Yes 48 88.89%
No 6 11.11%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
I miss the Kobo happy-face graphic

In one of the recent firmware updates, about the time they introduced the Kobo Aura, Kobo removed the cute graphic of the Kobo e-reader happy face that used to appear when the unit was booting. (There were other graphics -- a sleepy face, and so on -- that also used to appear as appropriate.) I have to say I really liked these -- they gave the device a personality -- and I'm sorry to see them go.

I know that the little graphic couldn't precisely match all the different Kobo models (some with and some without physical home buttons), but still, I thought it should be noted that it's gone. (I still get to see it on my Kobo Mini, which hasn't had a firmware update for a while, but it's gone from my Glo.)

Rob
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Everything beautiful has its moment and then fades away....
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The image always reminded me of the Macintosh boot image with the happy and sad Mac icons.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Maybe Apple sued them for copyright infringement and they had to stop using it.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
The Apple face has a nose; Kobo just used a generic happy face, and one with no nose.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I liked the whole look/feel of the interface from firmware 2.1.5 through 'til 2.5.x, including the smiley face. Although the functionality of the device is continuing to improve, I think the changes that started with firmware 2.6.x (especially the new home screen on the Glo/AuraHD) are moving it in the wrong direction as far as the aesthetics go.

Last edited by GeoffR; 10-31-2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: spelling
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
In one of the recent firmware updates, about the time they introduced the Kobo Aura, Kobo removed the cute graphic of the Kobo e-reader happy face that used to appear when the unit was booting. (There were other graphics -- a sleepy face, and so on -- that also used to appear as appropriate.) I have to say I really liked these -- they gave the device a personality -- and I'm sorry to see them go.

I know that the little graphic couldn't precisely match all the different Kobo models (some with and some without physical home buttons), but still, I thought it should be noted that it's gone. (I still get to see it on my Kobo Mini, which hasn't had a firmware update for a while, but it's gone from my Glo.)

Rob
Its the little things that make us smile, and the world go around. Sometimes even a silly Graphic is all that is needed......

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Its the little things that make us smile, and the world go around. Sometimes even a silly Graphic is all that is needed......

Regards

Jack

I agree. When I turned on my first Kobo device, the Glo, I smiled, it was cute. I like how the current firmwares look. Yes, they are somewhat utilitarian but they are useful and the tones soften the look. But the smiley face added personality, something I think they lost with the Aura. It's a gorgeous device but from a tech aesthetics point of view, the previous ones were homey for a lack of a better word at the moment. The smiley face was welcoming, like the words "DON'T PANIC" at the beginning of the Hitchhiker's Guide...
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:00 PM   #9
ppulle
ppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: kobo
I've yet to get the update on the touch that makes it go away....but it will be missed.

(I also miss the little literary quote we got on the old WiFi version model).
ppulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:22 PM   #10
kingjain
Enthusiast
kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo Aura
I never got to experience that happy face (Aura is my first kobo) ....but i still somehow miss it. So cheery..
kingjain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:57 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
And how about the quotes on the original Kobos?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:05 AM   #12
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
And how about the quotes on the original Kobos?
Umm, nope, I don't miss them at all.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #13
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post

Regards

Jack
exactly
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #14
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Definitely miss the smiley face, wish it would come back.

The quotes on the Original Kobo were interesting to start with but the limited number meant that they soon started repeating themselves.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Nod but with our experiences now in opening up the device I'm willing to bet we could add more quotes in to the system.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote