Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #361
oecherprinte
Zealot
oecherprinte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 3G, Kindle Paperwhite 2
OK. I just pre-ordered the PW2 3G version. Estimated delivery date: November 6th. Still almost 2 months to go ...
oecherprinte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #362
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I'm really starting to think it's not worth getting the new paperwhite. There just doesn't seem to be enough of an upgrade on my original paperwhite. The only thing that I really like is the new search through book thing and the integration of Wikipedia but I think they would probably come to the original paperwhite in a future update. My front light is not perfect but it has never bothered me. I only use it on setting in the dark so never see the discolouration. I'll still keep my pre-order for now but I'm considering cancelling it.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #363
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
It is a shame they took away the method used in the Kindle Touch to page to the next/previous chapter. If I want to go to the next chapter I just do a long vertical swipe upwards from the bottom of the screen. A long vertical swipe downwards from the top of the screen goes to the previous chapter. In this case, less is more and simpler is better.

Moreover, the PW does use this method for periodicals. Vertical sweeps jump between articles. Wonder why they disconnected the function in books.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #364
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
About the only upgrade of note that's not firmware based or related to the Carta screen appears to be the price. $209 for a 3G PW2, versus $199 for a 3G PW. And no extra Net access or LTE bumps to account for it. I thought the book price included the 3G delinery costs?

As far as I'm concerned, the 3G is one of the Kindle's real outstanding features compared to the others. Without that, I don't see much of an advantage over the Aura or any other wifi capable reader (save the Sony T3).
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #365
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by oecherprinte View Post
OK. I just pre-ordered the PW2 3G version. Estimated delivery date: November 6th. Still almost 2 months to go ...
How?! It won't let me preorder at all!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2013, 03:24 AM   #366
oecherprinte
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
How?! It won't let me preorder at all!
I took the last one. Sorry!
Old 09-12-2013, 03:25 AM   #367
oecherprinte
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
Moreover, the PW does use this method for periodicals. Vertical sweeps jump between articles. Wonder why they disconnected the function in books.
Ah. That's great. I only need this function for periodicals anyway.

I guess for books too many people accidently triggered the chapter jump and got confused. So they removed it. That's my guess.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:36 AM   #368
Jdschi
Connoisseur
Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.

Device: Nexus 7.2, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by oecherprinte View Post
I guess for books too many people accidently triggered the chapter jump and got confused. So they removed it. That's my guess.
I'd hope that - that was the single most aggravating thing when using my Kindle Touch. I would inadvertently trigger the chapter jump and lose my place in the book. It happened all the time so it is really good to know that this is gone!
Jdschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #369
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Such things can easily be options in the settings-menu, but big companies never seem to think about that.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #370
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Such things can easily be options in the settings-menu, but big companies never seem to think about that
"Easily" still requires programmer man-hours, GUI design, regression testing, documentation, etc.
It's far more likely they thought about it and decided not to do it.
You're a dev, aren't you? Haven't you worked on projects with product managers and project managers trying to manage deadlines and prevent feature- and scope-creep?

Last edited by ApK; 09-12-2013 at 10:22 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #371
oecherprinte
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Such things can easily be options in the settings-menu, but big companies never seem to think about that.
I think only power users (1% of the customers) would notice and appreciate such an option. Probably not worth investing any man hours into. And I believe the most important thing for amazon is to make the device fool proof and not to frustrate customers. This way they will buy more books.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #372
hollywoodb
hollywoodb began at the beginning.

Device: none
More features/options also means more support emails and calls.

I was going to order a Kobo Aura, but the more research I do the more I'm concerned about reliability with the Kobos. I ended up preordering the new Kindle PW Wifi and have checking out as many review videos as I can. I've noticed two things:

1) The screen looks pretty great with the light turned down.
2) Most of the reviews have the light on full-blast, making the video footage of the screen mostly worthless.
hollywoodb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #373
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodb View Post
More features/options also means more support emails and calls.

I was going to order a Kobo Aura, but the more research I do the more I'm concerned about reliability with the Kobos. I ended up preordering the new Kindle PW Wifi and have checking out as many review videos as I can. I've noticed two things:

1) The screen looks pretty great with the light turned down.
2) Most of the reviews have the light on full-blast, making the video footage of the screen mostly worthless.
Me too, although I only wanted it for Pocket Integration. I have now ordered the PW2 (I already have a PW1) and will try Instapaper instead.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #374
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
IMHO, very good choice.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #375
oecherprinte
Zealot

A little off topic question:

I ordered the PW2 via my German Amazon Account. However, I would like to use it with my US account (I have two accounts). It should be pre-registered for the German Account then.

I guess it should be possible to register the kindle to another account right?

I man I could also give it to someone as a present.

Thanks