Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #316
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Released v0.7.N, with the aforementioned new features (check the changelog for details) . (And Python v0.3.N, with updated binaries).
Wow...very cool! Will both 'black' and 'pinfo' work together?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #317
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@GoSharks: Yep, only autocrop & stretch are mutually exclusive . (And for the record, most of my stuff does indeed look much better with black borders ).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-19-2013 at 05:59 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #318
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@NiLuJe: As usual, everything updated without a hitch and works perfectly. You're right, the black borders look great and the personal info banner is excellent! Thanks!!
Old 01-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #319
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

@NiLuJe: Do the cover images accumulate in the cover cache folder or are they removed when a book is removed from the device? If they accumulate, are they small enough not to worry about or should they be deleted every now and then?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 01-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #320
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@GoSharks: They do accumulate. Depending on how much stuff you keep on your device, you might want to clean up periodically, but it's not critical, most file should weigh around ~150KB. Keep in mind that they're only created when you actually *open* a book for the first time, so it doesn't automatically mean that you'll end up with 200 covers if you have 200 books .
Advert
Old 01-20-2013, 02:12 AM   #321
modified
Connoisseur
modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: PW5
@NiLuJe

Awesome work! Is there a chance that you will be able to get pinfo to work for custom screensavers (non-covers)?

I've been manually adding a "If found, please contact xxxx" to my screensavers. So for about 6 seconds, I was overjoyed to read that you added the pinfo capability. I then re-read the changelog and realised that it worked only for cover mode. *sad-face*
modified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:47 AM   #322
dirgeon
dirgeon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
@NiLuJe: Thanks so much! pinfo+black is so neat!

Had some weirdness going on after the update, but after clearing the cache and restarting a few times, it's finally working as it should. Phew!
dirgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #323
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@modified: Nope, no image processing is done on 'classic' files. IMHO, it's much easier/faster to batch process your files yourself before putting them on your device. (Look at the cover-extract script to see how it's done with ImageMagick).

That said, with the new launcher, I guess it would be fairly easy to create a simple script to process the screensavers folder It would just take a crapload of time, depending on the number of files.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #324
BrianEnigma
Linux Hacker
BrianEnigma began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSacredSoul View Post
Got it to work. The trick, it seems, is to restart your Kindle WITHOUT it being plugged on to your PC. Rebooted it without being connected to the PC and it worked straight away
I can confirm that unmounting the Kindle (in my case, a Kindle Paperwhite with f/w v5.3.1) is necessary, but not sufficient. Lots of things went through the motions of working (for example, I got the linkss folder), but didn't actually work until I reinstalled python and the screensaver hack while physically unplugged from the laptop after unmounting the Kindle.
BrianEnigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #325
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@BrianEnigma: Unless you happen to have usbnetwork enabled at boot, it shouldn't cause any issue AFAIK. That said, it doesn't completely surprise me either, the whole usbms/userstore thing can be a bit tricky, so updating/rebooting unplugged is a good habit .
Old 01-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #326
damirah
damirah began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Waterstones Kindle

One piece of information for those with Waterstones Kindle.

I bought a Waterstones Kindle in December (as many others I didn't want to wait to get it from Amazon directly), but I was very disappointed to see there is only the Waterstones screensaver on it (from the moment I bought it).

Today I tried the screensaver hack with no luck. Afterwards I decided to reset the Kindle (not reboot, reset), which removes all files from Kindle. The Waterstones screensaver is gone now and I see the default Amazon screensavers instead. So for those who want to get rid of the Waterstones screensaver, try reset first.

I'm going now to try the hack, but this is already a progress! (The Waterstones screensaver was driving me crazy!)
damirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #327
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
@damirah, you can relatively easy replace Waterstone screensaver with your own if you have basic Unix shell skills and install USBNetwork.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #328
goflow9
goflow9 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I have a Kindle Paperwhite which I unsubscribed from adds in order to use this hack. The installation went well but the "cover" mode which I'm interested in doesn't work. However, the "last" mode functions. Can you help? Thanks!
goflow9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #329
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@damirah: Hint: check the changelog of the latest release.

@goflow9: I'm gonna need more details than 'doesn't work' . Did you install Python successfully? What kind of books did you try? How patient were you with it (depending on the load, it can take up to a minute for a cover to be processed for the first time)?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #330
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
I upgraded my Paperwhite to 5.3.3 yesterday. Screensaver stopped working.
I reinstalled it but it still wouldn't change from stock.
Had to uninstall and reinstall it before it would work.
Just in case that helps anyone else in future.

I forgot to mention backup your screensavers as this wiped them for me.
Thankfully I backed them up before trying it.

Last edited by Akirainblack; 01-22-2013 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention to backup.
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch