Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Does lack of SD card support effect you're buying of the Nexus 7?
Yes, I'm not buying because of this. 101 41.91%
No, not a problem at all. 61 25.31%
I'm buying the 16GB because of this. 34 14.11%
I'm not in the market for a tablet, but I like to vote. 45 18.67%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2012, 07:34 AM   #16
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
My point was not that I would necessarily use that drive, but rather that the idea that I might have to connect storage was not off-putting. Folks are also using larger drives with USB powered hubs.
Well, I can't speak for others, but for me that would be an acceptable solution for the MS Surface Intel Version when used at a table as a full desktop replacement. But for a small tablet it is an unnecessary inconvenience.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Given the utterly minimal expense of including a MicroSD slot, I do think it's a pity that Google made this decision. Sure, USB-OTG is a workaround, but it's inconvenient, and the user really shouldn't need to do this.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-29-2012 at 07:43 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #18
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
<shrug>I know what my usage is likely to look like. It really is a non-issue for me.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #19
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Having a couple of years of real life experience with ereaders and tablets, the lack of an expansion slot isn't a deal breaker. Yes, it's a nice to have and if there is a work-around that's comforting. I also know that everywhere I am likely to be, I have wifi access -- at home, at the airport, on vacation. So, the cloud thing to load up is absoultely, in my real life, good enough.

But, would I spring for the 16 GB as insurance? That's problematic because when you add in taxes and shipping, the "$199 Nexus 7" upgraded to 16 GB arrives at the door with a $312 price tag.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #20
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
I'm not in the market for a tablet, but I like to vote.
The Nexus 7 has no card slot , but has USB OTG host .
My Acer A100 has a card slot , but no USB OTG host .
My Pocket Edge has both , but no GPS or Bluetooth Keyboard support

As long as it has either USB host OR a sd card, it's not a deal breaker. In fact, with four tablets currently in the house and at least twice as many microSD cards floating around plus only-God-knows-how-many thumb drives, I'm thinking it's time to get one of these, and say bye-bye to rest.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #21
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPunk View Post
At least for now.

Chose this, though I should say I'd have major doubts about buying because of the lack of micro SD. What did Google save by not adding this? A buck?

I do want a 7" tablet even though I have my Asus Tran (Original), for portability. I also want an MS Surface. And World Peace. Sigh...
Give me an external micro SD slot and to hell with world peace.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #22
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Lack of expansion is a huge deal for me. I have the 64GB iPad, and I am nervous about filling it up (it tells me right now I have 5.5GB free). Prior to the iPad, I used my Nook Color with a 32GB microSD card, and the card was always filled entirely with movies and music. Plus, I could carry extra cards with me.

In order to (somewhat) solve this problem, I bought a Seagate Go-Flex Satellite drive. It's a 500GB 2.5" external drive that contains a wifi transmitter (not receiver) so any other wifi capable device (laptop, phone, iPad, Android tablet, etc.) can connect to it and access its contents. I've got it stocked with music and videos and things. Not a perfect solution; the battery life is not stellar (a little more than 4 hrs). But the accompanying iOS app is very good; it lets you transfer files to the iPad to use when the two are not connected, and then delete them from the iPad when you're done using them. So I only usually have two or three movies on my iPad at a time, and transfer new ones from the drive when I need them. I have, however, heard that the Android app is significantly less appealing (although I have never used it), so it might not be a great solution for the Nexus.

Edit: I see 5thWiggle posted a link to the drive a couple posts up. That's it, exactly.

Last edited by hrosvit; 06-29-2012 at 08:39 AM.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrosvit View Post
Lack of expansion is a huge deal for me. I have the 64GB iPad, and I am nervous about filling it up (it tells me right now I have 5.5GB free). Prior to the iPad, I used my Nook Color with a 32GB microSD card, and the card was always filled entirely with movies and music. Plus, I could carry extra cards with me.
Although I share your views on the lack of an expansion slot, remember that (unlike the iPad) the Nexus can read from a USB memory stick, so it's not really the same situation.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #24
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
But, would I spring for the 16 GB as insurance? That's problematic because when you add in taxes and shipping, the "$199 Nexus 7" upgraded to 16 GB arrives at the door with a $312 price tag.
The price delivered to Alberta for the 8 GB was $239.44 all in. With the $25 credit for the Play store as a bonus it was a pretty good deal. I'm like you, SP, I have WiFi almost everywhere I am likely to be.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #25
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
The 7" screen is the deal breaker for me. Don't care how many pixels they are squashing in there, I have tried and rejected many 7" tablets. The screens are just to small for my vision to cope with. Especially when the 7" is "widescreen" format.

A co-worker bought the Archos G9 10" and compared it to my Archos G9 8". The 10" is widescreen and the 8" is 4:3. They were the same width with the 10" being about an inch and a half longer.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #26
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
The price delivered to Alberta for the 8 GB was $239.44 all in. With the $25 credit for the Play store as a bonus it was a pretty good deal. I'm like you, SP, I have WiFi almost everywhere I am likely to be.
I envy you. I don't even have reliable wifi in my house, as proven by my excruciating attempt to stream a movie from Vudu last night. I believe my DSL modem is attempting to drive me crazy. Additionally, I travel around the country teaching, and I am constantly amazed at the places I go where I cannot reliable find wifi. Or "higher end" hotels that charge $20 per day for wifi. Or "lower end" hotels with wifi service that screams along at about 0.4Mb/s.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #27
taming
Trying for calm & polite

You may want to look at something like Connectify to create a hotspot that runs off your computer or laptop. I use that at work.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #28
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
For me "no expandable internal storage" equals "pointless", regardless of screen size and other specs.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #29
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
You may want to look at something like Connectify to create a hotspot that runs off your computer or laptop. I use that at work.
I am using that, too. But why use a tablet at all when you have to use 2 devices? The point is we shouldn't accept having to jump through hoops to use our devices the way we want to, just because some companies want to lock us into their cloud. The sooner we tell them NO the sooner we will be back to getting real value for our money. The problem is that people have come to accept this lack of functionality and treat it as if it was the normal state of affairs (i.e. bend over backwards to find workarounds).
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #30
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrosvit View Post
Lol. I have a 64GB iPad and have actually had a few times when I filled it to capacity (0MB free). I don't even store any music on the thing. Had to delete a bunch of stuff so I could upgrade apps.

I find the lack of SD card slot on the Nexus 7 disappointing but at the price point, it wasn't an absolute deal breaker. I would've preferred spending $250 on a Nexus 7 8GB with microSD card slot or full-size USB host port instead of a Nexus 7 16GB, unfortunately, that wasn't an option. However, the combination of 1280x800, 340g weight and 8 hours battery life is enough to outweigh my misgivings regarding the lack of SD slot. If USB OTG works, then it makes the pill even easier to swallow.

Oh well, the Transformer Infinity shouldn't have any of these limitations.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 06-29-2012 at 10:54 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote