Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-08-2009, 10:00 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Annotation, searching, dictionary lookup, to name but three.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #32
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Okay, but if you don't need those things then they are irrelevant and they don't make up for the proprietary nature of the system or difference in screen readability.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think we may be talking slightly at cross purposes. I meant that BOTH the Sony PRS-600 AND the Kindle 2 could be considered "upgrades" from the PRS-505 since they both provide these features.

Of course, as you very rightly say, if you don't happen to need those features, then you may not consider them to be so .
Old 10-08-2009, 10:11 AM   #34
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
May be reasonable, but I've never seen it and would like to see pics to confirm that it is real and not just someone's perception issue. I've used 4 different readers in bright sun, cold etc and not seen any differences due to environmental conditions.
I will try to take some pictures as long as the weather cooperates. but from experience, whichever direction the sunlight was coming there would be more fading on that side so it was not always a uniform fading. but it might be more likely that the angle the reader was held concentrated the beam on on certain spots. not sure.

what I also noticed was that as I turned pages the fading became more apparent to the point that unless I changed my position after 3-4 pages it was difficult to make out the writing.
lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:16 AM   #35
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think we may be talking slightly at cross purposes. I meant that BOTH the Sony PRS-600 AND the Kindle 2 could be considered "upgrades" from the PRS-505 since they both provide these features.

Of course, as you very rightly say, if you don't happen to need those features, then you may not consider them to be so .
Yes, understood.

I guess for me there are two big pieces to the comparison only one of which is the features of the device such as the above -- including the file types supported. The second big piece is the availability of books, from where and in what format.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:17 AM   #36
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lev View Post
I will try to take some pictures as long as the weather cooperates. but from experience, whichever direction the sunlight was coming there would be more fading on that side so it was not always a uniform fading. but it might be more likely that the angle the reader was held concentrated the beam on on certain spots. not sure.

what I also noticed was that as I turned pages the fading became more apparent to the point that unless I changed my position after 3-4 pages it was difficult to make out the writing.
very cool! Thank you.

Off to google for some possible images as well.

Also just wondering if there is a technical explanation for why this might happen.

Last edited by kennyc; 10-08-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:19 AM   #37
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I've never seen this fading with four different readers. Any Pics?
First post in this thread...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40834

My K2 isn't anywhere near that bad on mine the text just kind of thins out a bit until you refresh.

I see some 300 & 600 users are having a fading problem too now.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:27 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes, understood.

I guess for me there are two big pieces to the comparison only one of which is the features of the device such as the above -- including the file types supported. The second big piece is the availability of books, from where and in what format.
Do you not think, though, that both the Sony and the Kindle provide one with easy access to more books than anyone could possible read in a lifetime? That's my view of it, certainly.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:30 AM   #39
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
First post in this thread...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40834

My K2 isn't anywhere near that bad on mine the text just kind of thins out a bit until you refresh.

I see some 300 & 600 users are having a fading problem too now.
Ah, thanks -- that looks crazy. I've definitely not seen anything like that with my readers...
Old 10-08-2009, 10:32 AM   #40
kennyc

Quote:
Do you not think, though, that both the Sony and the Kindle provide one with easy access to more books than anyone could possible read in a lifetime? That's my view of it, certainly.

True, but not necessarily access to the ones you'd (I'd) like to read.

Certain books I'm looking for are not available to either one at this point -- in particular "Dhalgren" along with other Samuel R. Delaney works. Others as well that don't come to mind at the moment.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:37 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
True, but not necessarily access to the ones you'd (I'd) like to read.

Certain books I'm looking for are not available to either one at this point -- in particular "Dhalgren" along with other Samuel R. Delaney works. Others as well that don't come to mind at the moment.
As I've said elsewhere, the question that I ask myself is not "is every book I'd like to read available as an ebook for my reader?", but "are there sufficient books available for it to keep my busy?", and the answer for me personally is that there are several "lifetimes" worth of books available that I want to read. As you may know, my two main reading interests are 19th century novels, and SF, and between them, PG and Baen keep me fully occupied.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:39 AM   #42
kennyc

Quote:
As I've said elsewhere, the question that I ask myself is not "is every book I'd like to read available as an ebook for my reader?", but "are there sufficient books available for it to keep my busy?", and the answer for me personally is that there are several "lifetimes" worth of books available that I want to read. As you may know, my two main reading interests are 19th century novels, and SF, and between them, PG and Baen keep me fully occupied.
Well that and proofing/formatting/uploading books to MR, eh?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Well that and proofing/formatting/uploading books to MR, eh?
True, but I do that for my own personal satisfaction. In other people find them useful too, that's just a "bonus" . I'd still do it even if I was the only person who ever saw them.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:55 AM   #44
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I own both a Kindle 1 and a Sony 505. I prefer reading on the Kindle. The two cases where the Sony wins out is reading at night using the cover with the integrated lightwedge and reading ePub books. (I'm too lazy to do the format shifting unless it's necessary.)

Things I prefer about the Kindle:
* Easy reading. I find the page-turn buttons on the Sony to be stiff.
* The way it feels in my hand. Probably somewhat related to the above point. (Note that I always read with the cover attached.)
* Samples on the reader. Amazon sends samples to the Kindle and at the end of the sample is a "buy now" link which I can use if I've enjoyed reading the sample.
* Highlighting and notes. I use this feature a LOT. The Kindle copies the highlighted text and my notes into a text file which I can transfer to my PC. This makes it really easy to get quotes for reviews.
* Instant gratification. I like being able to purchase and receive the new books via wireless and have used it on a train from NYC to DC as well as in an airport when using my PC wasn't an option.

I'm perfectly happy downloading books via the PC and transferring to the reader with a USB cable -- and in fact I keep my "inventory" on a portable hard drive rather than on the reader. Yes, I know I mentioned the wireless as a feature, but I could live without it as long as the reader met my other needs.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #45
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Yeah, like more non-proprietary file types supported by Sony, including the 505.

I too would like to hear what you specifically think are the features that make it an "upgrade"
Harry covered it. Just because you have no interest in those particular features does not mean it isn't an upgrade. And in the first post the OP said:

Quote:
The other big draw is the keyboard that lets you take notes, and the built in dictionary.
These are "upgraded" features that the OP is interested in (also available in the 600 and 700).

Now to be clear, I'm not saying the 505 isn't a good or great reader because that wouldn't be true. I don't think I've ever said that *any* reader is bad or should not be purchased. And I don't feel the need to "put down" or "smear" any reader to make the Kindle look good. Any reader anyone wants to buy is good with me. Not everyone likes or wants the same thing in a reader, a car a house or anything. The more choices their are the better for the consumer.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote