Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-18-2012, 04:23 AM   #16
daviddem
Connoisseur
daviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Come to the dark side. Root and enjoy all the Android apps you want including CoolReader, FBReader, Aldiko, whatever pdf reader you like, and even the Kindle app if you'd like to buy books from Amazon.

Most of the above apps are actively developed and improved. The developers are often much more accessible than a big company like Sony and users have a much better chance of seeing reported bugs promptly fixed and the features they wish implemented.

Last edited by daviddem; 11-18-2012 at 04:39 AM.
daviddem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:07 AM   #17
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
c 3st plus fac1l3 !
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #18
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Aura ONE
Sony's support is all outsourced abroad, so you'll be spending a good amount of time waiting for a human being.

One time I bought a newspaper but it wasn't downloading through the Reader app, so I gave up as I had to go to work. Emailed support about the issue and never got a response. So I just had my credit card company reverse the charges.

Only time I'd bother calling is if my reader was completely unusable and needed replacement.

And there was never any firmware updates to the PRS-650. No font options or anything. So what you buy is what you have.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #19
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I called Sony support a few weeks ago. The total time of the call was 5 minutes including hold-time, and they resolved the issue. I was pleasantly surprised how smooth it was. I've only used email support one time, but they did respond that day with the answer.

Sony's readers are pretty stable compared to other companies. As others have noted, their firmware upgrades are usually to fix major bugs. Very seldom to they do updates to add features especially if it is an older model.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #20
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I called Sony support a few weeks ago. The total time of the call was 5 minutes including hold-time, and they resolved the issue. I was pleasantly surprised how smooth it was. I've only used email support one time, but they did respond that day with the answer.

Sony's readers are pretty stable compared to other companies. As others have noted, their firmware upgrades are usually to fix major bugs. Very seldom to they do updates to add features especially if it is an older model.
true,
but is also true that Sony is losing a lot of market allegedly,
and innovating procedures could increase their profitability again.
Little software houses update continuosly their great reader software: mantano, ezpdf, repli go reader.. just need few employees that tidy up codes resolving issues, while the returns are major loyality and increased profit.

the consumer probably asks: you do not have the light and want more money so what you can offer me more?
for me are dictionary, but i am a niche case as I need the Dutch dictionary
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote