Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
patientvalue
patientvalue began at the beginning.

Device: none
Recommendation for 'easy to replace' battery e-ink e-reader

I will be going 'bush' in South East Asia (tropical climate too) and will have limited and infrequent opportunity to recharge the battery. I imagine the best solution is to have multiple batteries in addition to frugal battery consumption . My use is to read pdfs, epub and occasionally listen to mp3 files to learn the local language. (I am aware that mp3 will consume power rapidly so will limit this as much as possible).

There may be an issue with battery deterioration in a hot humid climate too.

All suggestions greatly appreciated.
patientvalue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Solar charger?
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
patientvalue

good idea, how did i not think of that...duh

any recommedations on solar charges that are lightweight...
Old 10-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Check at REI or other backpacking stores. They will have the weights and like listed there.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
patientvalue

cheers ProfCrash
Old 10-05-2011, 04:06 AM   #6
cHex
Zealot
cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3)
There are also those crank-powered emergency radios...get one with a USB charging socket. Example
cHex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:02 AM   #7
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Readers of companies like Pocketbook, Bookeen, Onyx/Bebook, Hanlin have a battery that can be changed/replaced by the user.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:38 AM   #8
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
When I go camping with my reader I use small light powered from a 6V lead acid battery like this http://www.batteryprice.com/bp12-66v...battery_1.aspx

You can have a small circuit that would convert 6V from the Lead Acid battery to 5.2V needed to charge the reader (*). With 12Ah 6V battery you can power your reader and s small LED light for quite a few evenings.

12Ah 6V battery weighs about 2kg (3.4lbs)

Led flash light (torch) that you can charge by turning a crank is also a very good idea. But the locals will have some solution for light, such as candles, kerosene lamps, ...

(*) For the simplest solution you can connect one or more diodes in series (an ordinary diode drops tension by 0.7V). When the battery gets depleted, you bypass diodes one by one using dip switches. Remember, that fully charged "6V" battery has in fact 7.24V ;-)
Or you can get 12 volt battery and use Buck step-down DC-DC converter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_converter). The simplest versions of such converters are chargers powered from car lighter charger. Make sure to pick up electronic charger. Electronic chargers (step-down DC-DC buck converters) have relatively large range of input voltages, such as 6 - 24V.

Last edited by kacir; 10-05-2011 at 06:40 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:59 AM   #9
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Readers of companies like Pocketbook, Bookeen, Onyx/Bebook, Hanlin have a battery that can be changed/replaced by the user.
And the Hanlins (the V3 at least) can use standard Nokia BL-4C or BL-5C phone batteries, so they're easy to get.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #10
patientvalue

Thanks everyone for some excellent ideas, it is greatly appreciated!
Old 10-08-2011, 09:03 AM   #11
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
The Nook Classic has a replaceable battery, MP3 playback, and epub support. I'm sure you could get one pretty cheap now. The battery life isn't great though compared with the newer readers.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #12
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Jetbook Lite uses regular batteries. =)

http://https://www.mobileread.com/for...ad.php?t=47377

Last edited by pendragginp; 10-08-2011 at 09:55 AM.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #13
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
I wouldn't worry about ereader's battery life, but if really want one, I would suggest something like this http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Insta...8097847&sr=8-2

Most of the newer generation of eInk reader with pearl display with faster processors don't have user accesible replaceable battery to save weight, compact size and probably save manufacturing cost at the same time. You'll most likely be sacrificing the overall quality of the ereader for a one with replaceable battery. IMO it's not worth it.

If i were you I would also use something like an ipod nano(i use a 16GB one), creative zen, or sandisk sansa to listen to mp3s, they barely weight anything and you don't have to log around a giant ebook reader(comparably speaking) for just listening to mp3s.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #14
patientvalue

Thanks shinew. I like that idea that could work. I had not thought of that or seen one before. ta

Tags
battery pdf mp3