Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-07-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Question Wikipedia articles -> ePub

I saved a couple wikipedia articles to HTML, and made ePubs out of them using Sigil (it did a better job than Calibre with the formatting and structure).

The resulting epubs look great on the Kobo, but they take forever to open. Even the processing time when I loaded these two on my Kobo was unusually long (about 2 minutes). This is strange because overall, they are pretty tiny.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the heavy CSS, but since it takes so long to load and open them, I haven't found the patience to try and narrow it down to what specifically is causing this.

EDIT: Even flipping past sections, which are are separate HTML files within the epub takes a good 10 seconds.

If anyone feels like playing detective, I've attached the two epubs.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Government Of Canada.epub (158.9 KB, 366 views)
File Type: epub Politics of Canada.epub (207.0 KB, 354 views)

Last edited by Stinger; 06-07-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Check out Instapaper.com. I just grabbed both wikipedia articles in about 20 seconds and created an ePub of them. Of course you can spend time adding metadata and giving it a cover image in Calibre but this works and looks well enough.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Instapaper-ReadLater-2010-06-07.epub (141.7 KB, 398 views)
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Ahh yes, I saw the thread regarding Instapaper and filed it away, at least now I have a reason to test it out.

Have you saved many Wikipedia articles RR? I tried saving the article on Canada to test it out myself, and I keep getting a blank epub with only the link the original article...
I've tried a couple other articles, and they worked fine. So I'm just curious if you've experienced this on some thing, and how common it is. (I don't want to have to check every epub from there for this kind of stuff)
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:01 AM   #4
firefox
MR Gen Z Representative
firefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enough

Device: Barnes & Noble NOOKclassic
Smile

Wikipedia has an book creator that turns books into PDFs.
Its under Print/export on the sidebar.

I tested it out, so far it looks good. I downloaded 3 pages; "Ferendi", "England" and "Wollemi Pine" and they came out as a 10mb PDF. It does take awhile though.
firefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Ahh yes, I saw the thread regarding Instapaper and filed it away, at least now I have a reason to test it out.

Have you saved many Wikipedia articles RR? I tried saving the article on Canada to test it out myself, and I keep getting a blank epub with only the link the original article...
I've tried a couple other articles, and they worked fine. So I'm just curious if you've experienced this on some thing, and how common it is. (I don't want to have to check every epub from there for this kind of stuff)
Actually that was my first attempt at saving a Wikipedia article. I might save more now that I can.

The issue with the Canada article must have something to do with the way Instapaper creates the ePub. If I click the "text" box on Instapaper the link works properly but if I create an ePub I only get the link to the article as you found. Interesting.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverJ View Post
The issue with the Canada article must have something to do with the way Instapaper creates the ePub. If I click the "text" box on Instapaper the link works properly but if I create an ePub I only get the link to the article as you found. Interesting.
I found the same thing.

I think it must be the nature of how Instapaper extracts content from web pages. It seems to try and grab only the content of an article, and ditch the rest. For example when converting a blog I've notied it ditches all of the comments and sidebar content.

I guess certain Wikipedia articles trip Instapaper up, and it can't find anything on the page that it considers to be the "main content"?

I see this as the big drawback of Instapaper - it should have an option to convert the entire web page, ignoring Instapaper's inbuilt content extraction algorithm.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote