Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-26-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Are Kindle versions of new book releases delayed?

I just read all of Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series novels in their Kindle format. The final book in the series is going to be released Aug. 2nd, but does anyone know if Amazon has a delay between when they release a hardcover book and when they release the Kindle version?

I feel like I am going through withdrawl symptoms as I wait for the next book to come out. It is worse than Christmas when I was a kid. If there is a delay, I don't think I will be able to wait. This is like torture.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:09 PM   #2
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I don't think *Amazon* has a delay. The publisher of the book may or may not release an electronic version at the same time as the original book. Many books that are just now being published, have the electronic book available right away. The publishers are savvy to electronic versions being desired. But it can be on a book-by-book basis that you find out....
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It does depend on the publisher, but The Host by Stephenie Meyers was published on May 6 in both hardcover and on the Kindle. It still isn't out in paperback. So I think Breaking Dawn may be available for the Kindle on August 2nd.

Under Kindle Books (Browse by Publication Date) some Kindle ebooks are listed as "Available for Pre-order", but the ones I tried can't actually be purchased. There are a couple listed as "Available for Pre-order. This item will be released on Jul 1, 2008." which appear to already be available.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Thanks for your replies. So far I don't see anything about pre-ordering the Kindle version. I'll check back right before it gets released and just hope that they will make it available at the same time.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:18 PM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I think Amazon has em as quick as anyone
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2008, 10:59 AM   #6
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
There have been a couple books out lately that I wanted to read that haven't been offered in Kindle, even though previous books in the series were. I suspect some publishers may be rethinking the "immediate release" policy and may dial back so that the Kindle book comes out the same time the paperback does, so as not to cut in to the very profitable hardback sales.

I don't have anything to base this on other than suspicion, of course....
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
One of the first books I purchased was released on the Kindle 8 days after the hard cover release. I haven't run into that problem with other books I've purchased since then. Now, I seem to have to wait up to a week for price drops on some books. Sometimes they start out more expensive than the hard cover. Case in point, "Blood Noir".

5/27/08 morning: Hard cover = $17.13, Kindle version = $20.76.
5/27/08 afternoon: Hard cover = $17.13, Kindle version = $15.42
5/28/08 afternoon: Hard cover = $15.57, Kindle version = $15.42
5/30/09 afternoon: Hard cover = $15.57, Kindle version = $14.01
6/4/08: The Kindle price FINALLY dropped to $9.99
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:19 PM   #8
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
One of the first books I purchased was released on the Kindle 8 days after the hard cover release. I haven't run into that problem with other books I've purchased since then. Now, I seem to have to wait up to a week for price drops on some books. Sometimes they start out more expensive than the hard cover. Case in point, "Blood Noir".

5/27/08 morning: Hard cover = $17.13, Kindle version = $20.76.
5/27/08 afternoon: Hard cover = $17.13, Kindle version = $15.42
5/28/08 afternoon: Hard cover = $15.57, Kindle version = $15.42
5/30/09 afternoon: Hard cover = $15.57, Kindle version = $14.01
6/4/08: The Kindle price FINALLY dropped to $9.99
Shouldn't be a big surprise. Amazon makes more money at the higher price. They can set a high price initially and drop it by increments. Some folks will want the book badly enough to pay "full retail". Others will have different price points.

They can monitor the sales volume and adjust pricing on the fly, settling at the low price once initial sales to folks who just can't wait have peaked.

Personally, I can wait. It's not like I don't have other things to read.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:23 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Shouldn't be a big surprise. Amazon makes more money at the higher price. They can set a high price initially and drop it by increments. Some folks will want the book badly enough to pay "full retail". Others will have different price points.

They can monitor the sales volume and adjust pricing on the fly, settling at the low price once initial sales to folks who just can't wait have peaked.

Personally, I can wait. It's not like I don't have other things to read.
______
Dennis
But, the "smart" shopper, knows that the price drop in such a short period of time entitles them to a refund of the difference. I guess they hope most people won't follow-up. I'd rather wait a week, now that I know the game.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:46 PM   #10
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Well, there are some books that are not released in electronic format -- the Harry Potter books, for example -- but I haven't noticed Amazon (or the publisher) delaying release of the electronic version when a new book comes out in hardback and there are already electronic copies available of the earlier books in the series. Now, if there's a change in publisher, there could certainly be a change in policy.

For example:
Phantom Prey by John Sandford was released in hardback on 8 May 2008, and the Kindle edition on 14 May.

The Cold Minds by Kristin Landon was released for the Kindle on 24 June, the same day that the paperback edition was released. This book's initial printing was in paperback -- there was no hardback release.

Where I get frustrated is that The Cold Minds is second in a series and the first book isn't available for the Kindle. Yes, I already read it in paperback, but I gave my copy away and I'd like to get the Kindle version for keeping and re-reading, but will have to wait until *someday* when the publisher gets around to dealing with the back-catalog.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:59 PM   #11
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But, the "smart" shopper, knows that the price drop in such a short period of time entitles them to a refund of the difference. I guess they hope most people won't follow-up. I'd rather wait a week, now that I know the game.
You have described why rebates are popular sales incentives. The manufacture gambles on the fact that most folks will never get around to actually claiming the rebate. (And it's a safe bet. Most don't.)

And while smart shoppers may know they are entitled to claim a refund, how many take the trouble to do it? Same dynamic.

Variable pricing is a long time retail practice. Many years ago, I worked for a department store. New clothing got released at full price. After 30 days, it got marked down. After 60 days, it got marked down again. After 90 days, it got marked down again. After that, it went to clearance.

Shelf space is finite, and you make money by stocking stuff that sells, because your critical number is the sales/square foot required to cover your costs and make a profit. It's in your interest to stock items that sell well at a high margin, and clear out the stuff that doesn't as soon as possible.

Amazon doesn't have shelf space concerns with ebooks, but they'll still want to sell at a higher price if they can. Just can't wait, and have the have that new book in the series right now? Fine. Pay for it...
______
Dennis
Old 06-29-2008, 01:11 PM   #12
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Well, there are some books that are not released in electronic format -- the Harry Potter books, for example --
Rowling has never licensed electronic versions, for reasons that aren't clear to me.

There have been some pirated eversions. I got spam a few years back offering electronic versions of the then extant HP books. The link pointed to in the spam yielded to a whois query, and the whois record for the domain listed the spammer's real name, mailing address, and phone number. The domain disappeared very quickly...

Beyond "My goodness! That spammer is stupid!", there wasn't much I could say.

Quote:
but I haven't noticed Amazon (or the publisher) delaying release of the electronic version when a new book comes out in hardback and there are already electronic copies available of the earlier books in the series. Now, if there's a change in publisher, there could certainly be a change in policy.
Possible. I don't know what the publisher's cut is on Amazon sales. If they make more from a hardback paper edition than an ebook, I can see them deciding to delay the electronic release a bit for a popular title.

Quote:
Where I get frustrated is that The Cold Minds is second in a series and the first book isn't available for the Kindle. Yes, I already read it in paperback, but I gave my copy away and I'd like to get the Kindle version for keeping and re-reading, but will have to wait until *someday* when the publisher gets around to dealing with the back-catalog.
Count your blessings. At least the publisher has discovered ebooks and is now releasing in that format.
_______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 06-29-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:17 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I don't understand why Rowling has her books available as audiobooks but has a problem with ebooks? Same with Grisham? I have a library of Grisham audiobooks from Audible.com, that's digital.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:22 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I don't understand why Rowling has her books available as audiobooks but has a problem with ebooks? Same with Grisham? I have a library of Grisham audiobooks from Audible.com, that's digital.
Rowling won't even let Audible have her books. Only hard devices like tapes and cd's. I guess she doesn't know how easy it is to rip a cd.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:49 AM   #15
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
The Harry Potter audio books have been for sale on iTunes for a very long time. There was even a special Harry Potter iPod, with themed engraving on the back. Only the first 6 are available, so anyone wanting "Deathly Hallows" on their iPod has to resort to ripping.

You are correct about Audible not having them, though, which seems a little stupid.

Last edited by tlrowley; 06-30-2008 at 09:52 AM.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote