Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
Stefx
Enthusiast
Stefx began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Kobo and Kindle apps - in-app-purchasing removed (Canada)

Today (Kindle) and yesterday (Kobo) both those apps released a new version with the in-app store removed.

It's an annoyance (albeit minor).
Is it a reaction to an Apple policy?
Stefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefx View Post
Today (Kindle) and yesterday (Kobo) both those apps released a new version with the in-app store removed.

It's an annoyance (albeit minor).
Is it a reaction to an Apple policy?
Yes, Apple are requiring apps to either offer in-app purchasing using Apple's system, for which Apple takes 30% of the price, or remove ways to buy from within the app, and remove links to ways to buy from outside the app.
You can still buy books from Amazon/Kobo websites and the books will still sync to your iPad and you can read them fine, the apps just can't have the Store link in them any more.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Nothing new ... has been announced already.

There is an existing thread about it: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144028
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
Stefx
Enthusiast

Thanks, that explains it well.
Didn't see that thread because it wasn't in the Apple devices section.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:55 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
There are still a few reading apps that still have store links and are still in App Store:
- bluefire reader (and the BAM clone)
- txtr (and at least one of its clones)

For the time being, I'm not updating Kindle or Google Books apps.

I'm finding that Inkmesh works reasonably well on my iPod Touch in terms of finding books in the various ebook storefronts, comparing prices etc., and launching the respective storefronts (except for Google Books) to purchase or get more information. I'd actually pay for an iOS app that did this with a more refined UI. Apple would no doubt find some reason not to approve such an app, but it's not clear to me how it would violate their terms.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
Stefx
Enthusiast

I just bought a book or Kobo via the web site.
Not much of a difference. Just a few extra clicks. The eBook howed up instantly in my Kobo app.
Compared to the in-app purchase, I probably lost 30-60 seconds max.