Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Gizmodo's take on the deluge of new readers

Here is their "Guide to ebook readers we care about", erm, guide.

http://gizmodo.com/5445603/the-ultim...-we-care-about

One thing I agree with:

Quote:
There are too damn many ebook readers and it's a struggle to figure out what's worth buying and which reader will even survive the market.
I think they reflect the general sentiment amongst casual readers and tech enthusiasts and I generally agree with their selections.

Last edited by astrodad; 01-15-2010 at 11:33 AM.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
But its also a pleasurable struggle in some aspects. Shows that the market for these devices is real, and lots of choice means a better chance people can find a set of features that works for them.

Again, it is the fallout of which DRM'ed solution becomes dominant that is the main concern for those who are buying now. (not necessarily MobileRead users, but the more general buyers). There are bound to be unhappy orphaned devices.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Too many, indeed, yet all the same....

I've lost count of the 6" clones, and I don't care. The size is too small for immersive reading and the screen is basically the same old thing with marginal contrast, that I am getting tired of.

Methinks, until you have color, and good color at that, and large enough sizes to have a hardcover experience, and to be able to read larger format, complex layout publications, ereaders will remain a niche product.

Until then, I don't see anything new under the sun, except a race to the price bottom for 6" devices.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
B

Again, it is the fallout of which DRM'ed solution becomes dominant that is the main concern for those who are buying now. (not necessarily MobileRead users, but the more general buyers). There are bound to be unhappy orphaned devices.
I disagree. Non-MR users probably don't care about DRM as long as they can get the books they want cheap and easy. I think the confusing part for non-techies is that they see the color screens and want them NOW, but also don't want to wait to buy a reader.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
I disagree. Non-MR users probably don't care about DRM as long as they can get the books they want cheap and easy. I think the confusing part for non-techies is that they see the color screens and want them NOW, but also don't want to wait to buy a reader.
uh..ok, maybe I should have said "should be the main concern", since it will be what frustrates them later
Old 01-15-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
astrodad
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
uh..ok, maybe I should have said "should be the main concern", since it will be what frustrates them later
That's only true if they pick a losing company. The average reader that sticks to Amazon or B&N won't have to worry because they will just get their books from them all the time. Now, if they ever want to switch readers, then they'll get a headache.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #7
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
I've lost count of the 6" clones, and I don't care. The size is too small for immersive reading and the screen is basically the same old thing with marginal contrast, that I am getting tired of.
*shrug*

I concur there isn't much variation; after all, the current crop pretty much use the same screens with some minor variations. 6" grayscale is definitely limited.

That said, I have no problem getting "immersed" in a book on a 6" reader and no problems with contrast. It also makes for a highly portable size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist
Methinks, until you have color, and good color at that, and large enough sizes to have a hardcover experience, and to be able to read larger format, complex layout publications, ereaders will remain a niche product.
Again, *shrug*

Color epaper is a long way off. Larger tablets available in the interim will be power-hungry and heavy; even Pixel Qi apparently does not have particularly good color or battery life.

Dedicated readers will be a niche product anyway. That isn't a problem, unless you try to twist the dedicated device into being a multifunction device (e.g. the Entourage Edge discussed in the article) -- a very different process than building a multipurpose device from the ground up. And even then, the multipurpose device will have its own set of compromises, and will work well for some uses but won't be good for others.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
From those devices, the:
- Plastic Logic Que
- Skiff Reader

look the most interesting to me. I'm loving seeing the battle heat up though, it's only good for consumers.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #9
kjk

Very curious what the Skiff is going to retail for-and what the business model is going to be.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:22 PM   #10
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
It's hard for me to picture who the people are who are complaining.

I don't think that American non-techies are aware of anything except the Kindle, the nook and maybe the Sony.

Four years ago I met seniors who objected to having a choice of insurance companies when Medicare Advantage first started. They wanted the govt to make everything exactly alike so they wouldn't have to choose.

I suspect that the people complaining about eBook readers want to buy only one for the rest of their lives. Since at this point no one product is perfect for everyone, they would complain no matter what.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote