Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-02-2008, 04:44 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
eReader for iPhone 1.1 released

Sammy of PalmAddicts sent us note that version 1.1 of eReader for iPhone / iTouch has been released. As we've mentioned earlier, this upgrade adds the ability to browse to other web sites offering eReader-formatted content.

Ready for your immediate consumption over here.

Full list of changes:
  • The ability to download eReader PDB files from web sites other than eReader.com and Fictionwise.com, as well as personal content in eReader PDB format.
  • New options to: lock screen orientation, tap instead of swipe to turn pages, choose white text on black background, turn off page animation, and turn off full justification of text.
  • Ability to sort the on-device bookshelf by author, title, or download date.
  • Better error messages and several bug fixes.

Demo of new features:

Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:25 PM   #2
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
The tap-to-turn, and extra sorting options are great! And also being able to use manybooks.net for downloading material is a great extra for an already excellent application.

Is there a list of other sites that would be appropriate for downloading with the eReader app?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:55 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
The tap-to-turn, and extra sorting options are great! And also being able to use manybooks.net for downloading material is a great extra for an already excellent application.

Is there a list of other sites that would be appropriate for downloading with the eReader app?
Look in eBook Stores in the wiki. Most sites are identified as to what formats they support. Always check the wiki!

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:37 AM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
It's great that they're showing a demo - it really does make it look easy to work. It really is too bad the iPhone requires AT&T (the evil empire).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:01 AM   #5
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post

Munseys is gearing up to offer eReader format, but it isn't in place yet. Another place to check is Memoware.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:10 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
It's great that they're showing a demo - it really does make it look easy to work. It really is too bad the iPhone requires AT&T (the evil empire).
This all runs on the iPod Touch too.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:05 PM   #7
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Nice! Now I just need autoscroll. Autoscroll! Autoscroll! Autoscroll!
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:13 PM   #8
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
/me shouts "Jailbreak!!!!!" and looks the other way
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:06 AM   #9
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
You can upload your own books to a "Personal Shelf" in your Fictionwise Account and then get them onto your iPhone from there. There are a few other options they are investigating to allow you to download directly from your PC/Mac, but in the meantime the Personal Shelf at Fictionwise worked for me.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:57 PM   #10
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Looking for software for the Mac

Now that I can upload my own content, I am looking for software for the Mac to convert files to ereader format. Does anyone know of a free solution, or do I need to buy the $30 eReader software?

Thanks, Michael
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:38 PM   #11
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
Now that I can upload my own content, I am looking for software for the Mac to convert files to ereader format. Does anyone know of a free solution, or do I need to buy the $30 eReader software?

Thanks, Michael
What kind of source files do you want to convert? I don't know of any solutions for converting other ebook formats directly to eReader. You would need to get the content into PML format first.

The Dropbook utility can take PML files and create eReader documents. It's freeware, and available for the Mac.

There is also a Java app called Makebook, which is no longer developed or supported.

You can find Dropbook and Makebook here.

Instructions for using them are here.

And the Palm Markup Language is documented here.

There are various macro files available for Microsoft Word and Open Office Writer that generate PML formatted texts you can feed to Dropbook. I haven't used them, and can't comment on how well they work. If you use either Word or OO Writer on the Mac, I'll try to dig up links for you.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 08-04-2008 at 03:43 PM.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:51 PM   #12
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Doesn't Stanza export in eReader format? I see that it's in the "export" menu, but I haven't tried it.

ETA - okay, I just tried it and it worked just fine. I uploaded the file to the FW Personal Content, downloaded it to the iPhone, and it opened just fine.

HTH,
Tracey

Last edited by tlrowley; 08-04-2008 at 03:55 PM.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:14 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you have word or open office on your mac there are macros for both applications to create PML files that can be used with dropbook. Check the eReader wiki.

Dale
Old 08-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
Doesn't Stanza export in eReader format? I see that it's in the "export" menu, but I haven't tried it.

ETA - okay, I just tried it and it worked just fine. I uploaded the file to the FW Personal Content, downloaded it to the iPhone, and it opened just fine.

HTH,
Tracey
They certainly don't indicate any support for this format. Are you sure it was not PalmDOC? eReader does support PalmDOC format as well. Did it specifically say eReader?

Dale
Old 08-04-2008, 04:30 PM   #15
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post

HTH,
Tracey
The problem with Stanza is that it isn't very good about setting the Name/Author of a book when it exports it. Otherwise, it would be perfect.

Michael
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader, iphone