Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-20-2010, 07:22 AM   #1
roelvdh
roelvdh began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Calibre produces Python function terminated unexpectedly

Hi there,
I just joined this forum after having owned a PRS-600 for 6 months now and using Calibre all the time. Though I adore the Sony, I found the Reader Library software quite intrusive. So, I was unwise and removed Reader Library from my PC. Calibre still worked but after restart it failed: Python function terminated unexpectedly ('utf8', and a long list of error codes.
I tried to re-install Reader Library from the PRS-600 but that failed too. Then I downloaded and installed the software from the Sony site. That seemed to work but the software remains inoperable when trying to connect to the device.
I haven't found a similar problem being discussed on this forum but if there is one, then please kindly direct me to it and I apologize for not searching good enough.
I really hope I can soon use my beloved Calibre-PRS600 combo again.

Roel

Let me be more specific.
I don't assume the forum to take over Sony's role but I start from the Sony side nevertheless.

1. Trying to re-install eReader Library from the Reader
Installation fails issuing error message (translated): An error was found during dowloading of the software. Please check your internet connection and try again.
This message comes from I:\Windows\bin\scripts\languages\nl\assets.xml, string id="error_downloading"
Obviously, I do not download anything.

2. Trying to use software from Sony site
The software installs but freezes immediately upon touching any button.

3. Using Calibre.
At start-up the above mentioned Python error is displayed and the start-up is interrupted. After looking more carefully, the dump of information that follows the Python message is certainly not from Calibre as snippets from another program are clearly identifyable. I'm not a software engineer but it seems as if Python overexceeds the limits of the Calibre area, reading in adjacent areas on the disk. The dumped information is consequently identical, also after restarting the computer.
Hope this helps.

Roel

Last edited by roelvdh; 03-20-2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Further specification of error
roelvdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:17 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by roelvdh View Post
Hi there,
I just joined this forum after having owned a PRS-600 for 6 months now and using Calibre all the time. Though I adore the Sony, I found the Reader Library software quite intrusive. So, I was unwise and removed Reader Library from my PC. Calibre still worked but after restart it failed: Python function terminated unexpectedly ('utf8', and a long list of error codes.
Interesting, it seems uninstalling the reader stepped on something in use by Calibre.

Quote:
I tried to re-install Reader Library from the PRS-600 but that failed too. Then I downloaded and installed the software from the Sony site. That seemed to work but the software remains inoperable when trying to connect to the device.
Reinstalling reader isn't going to fix Calibre. If you don't want reader then dump it. Uninstall it and be done with it then fix Calibre.

Quote:
I really hope I can soon use my beloved Calibre-PRS600 combo again.
After you uninstall reader software then uninstall Calibre. Restart your computer then reinstall Calibre.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2010, 08:21 AM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Interesting, it seems uninstalling the reader stepped on something in use by Calibre.
It does sound like that, but since I haven't heard of it before, I wonder if it is just coincidence. I agree that reinstalling the reader won't help with Calibre.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
roelvdh

Interesting indeed

Thank you, Walt!
Dumping Sony Reader was my plan from the outset

But there is no success yet.
1. Uninstall Sony Reader, then uninstall calibre, restart, re-install calibre --> same Python error message
2. Uninstall calibre again, do full anti-malware run, defrag disk, re-install calibre --> same Python error message
3. uninstall calibre, check disk with ScanDisk, re-install calibre --> same Python error message
4. uninstall calibre, uninstall the program owning the snippets seeping through in the Python error message, restart computer, re-install calibre --> same Python error message
5. uninstall calibre, run regedit, removing alle remaining references to Sony Reader, calibre and python, re-install calibre but still no luck.

Came to my mind: Recently Windows wanted to check C:\ at start-up. I saw no reason not to and let it run ScanDisk. There were some messages about index.dat being repaired, but the messages quickly disappeared and I haven't seen the full story. This probably was the session when calibre failed the first time, though I'm not sure.
Anything else before re-installing Windows?

Roel

Last edited by roelvdh; 03-21-2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-21-2010, 09:32 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Things that spring to mind are:
  • Rename your Calibre Library folder so that Calibre cannot pick up a (possibly corrupt) metadata.db file.
  • Remove your Calibre settings (uninstall does not). They should be under your User Profile. On my Windows 7 system this is in a Calibre folder located at C:\Users\username\appdata\roaming, but it can be different for other versions of Windows (e.g. under Documents and Settings). Delete (or rename) the whole calibre folder.
  • Check the search path in case there is some other Python related folders ahead of the C:\Program files\Calibre2 that is the normal Calibre one.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
roelvdh

You saved my day !!!

Thanks, itimpi !!
Deleting the profile did the job. After having re-installed calibre about 10 times I was about ready to re-install Windows, so you saved me a hell of a lot of time.
My calibre is working perfectly again and has good access to my Reader, without the intrusion of the Sony software. What could one want more?
BTW, in Win XP the profile location is ...\Documents and Settings\Application Data\calibre. Just renaming this folder did the trick.
Thanks again, that was of great help !!

Roel
Old 09-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
Desvelada71
Desvelada71 will become famous soon enoughDesvelada71 will become famous soon enoughDesvelada71 will become famous soon enoughDesvelada71 will become famous soon enoughDesvelada71 will become famous soon enoughDesvelada71 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-650
Thumbs up Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Things that spring to mind are:
  • Rename your Calibre Library folder so that Calibre cannot pick up a (possibly corrupt) metadata.db file.
  • Remove your Calibre settings (uninstall does not). They should be under your User Profile. On my Windows 7 system this is in a Calibre folder located at C:\Users\username\appdata\roaming, but it can be different for other versions of Windows (e.g. under Documents and Settings). Delete (or rename) the whole calibre folder.
  • Check the search path in case there is some other Python related folders ahead of the C:\Program files\Calibre2 that is the normal Calibre one.
Thank you so much for your help. I was having so much trouble with my Calibre program all of the sudden and I tried almost everything. Then I read this post and your suggestion and voila!! It worked!!. I can sleep at night now...hahah
Desvelada71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs-600, python error, re-installation