Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-28-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
Why We Read (with special guest, Carl Sagan)

I just had to share this video:

(the YouTube tag doesn't seem to work)

I just picked up my Reader, and I felt like I was a tiny player in the lineage of human history, like the ape with his bone next to the monolith, but a player nonetheless. Books are seeds, and our minds are their fruit.

Last edited by llreader; 11-28-2009 at 12:51 PM.
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Here you go:

pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[QUOTE=pilotbob;672217]Here you go:

Awesome, I have it now. Thanks!
Old 11-28-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Yes, but where's the AutoTune version?

ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
llreader
Mesmerist

Why, it is in he post right above mine, of course.
Advert
Old 11-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The late, great Sagan was always one of my favorite scientists, science writers, humanists, and potheads. His knowledge was extremely far-ranging; truly this was a modern Renaissance Man. I recall listening an episode of The Thomas Jefferson Hour one day several years ago where Clay Jenkinson (who portrays Jefferson) spoke of meeting Sagan at a White House function where both were guests. He said that Sagan was the only person he ever met who knew more about Jefferson than he did -- and if you've ever heard The Thomas Jefferson Hour, that's quite a compliment!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
pothead
I think you mean butthead?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_I...ith_Carl_Sagan
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by llreader View Post
I just had to share this video:
Thanks I enjoyed the video and found it interesting.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
@Ardeegee

I enjoyed the song too. I even downloaded it and two other mp3s by Symphony of Science. "We are All Connected" is also a smooth tune.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:04 PM   #10
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
That's kind of funny. Apple should learn to stop complimenting folks by naming things in their honor (*cough* Beatle’s music company *cough*).

No, I meant pothead, but only as a joke. Like many professionals, I have no doubt he was only a casual user.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:12 PM   #11
llreader
Mesmerist

Carl was certainly a popular figure in his time, a little goofy, and the butt of many jokes then and since. But he was a real scientist, and cared deeply about science and the potential of human knowledge and the human race.

We could use a guy like Carl Sagan now, and less of what we get on TV.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:17 PM   #12
llreader
Mesmerist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
Thanks I enjoyed the video and found it interesting.
You are welcome! It is good, isn't it? I think Sagan would have loved ebooks and readers, and if he was going to do that episode again, he would say something like "And now, a card the size of a postage stamp can hold those 1000 books you can read in your lifetime, and you could take it with you in your pocket on a trip to the stars."

Old 11-28-2009, 05:23 PM   #13
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
You are welcome! It is good, isn't it? I think Sagan would have loved ebooks and readers, and if he was going to do that episode again, he would say something like "And now, a card the size of a postage stamp can hold those 1000 books you can read in your lifetime, and you could take it with you in your pocket on a trip to the stars."

I think you're right. I believe most certainly that he would have loved ebooks, which makes it even more of a shame that none of the books of which he is the single author are available for electronic readers.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:31 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Carl was certainly a popular figure in his time, a little goofy, and the butt of many jokes then and since. But he was a real scientist, and cared deeply about science and the potential of human knowledge and the human race.

We could use a guy like Carl Sagan now, and less of what we get on TV.
I totally agree. His Cosmos series was just so good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:39 PM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I totally agree. His Cosmos series was just so good.
I have Cosmos on VHS and have watched it several times. He did a fantastic job of promoting science to the general public.