Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-22-2009, 08:43 PM   #16
geneaber
Connoisseur
geneaber doesn't littergeneaber doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
I am not offended by the 1 loan limit, but question the 14 days. Often it takes me much longer than that to finish a book. I think that limit should be at least 30 days (if not eliminated).

What we need to do is figure out a way to set up a "market" for loaning books. It appears that loaning will be as simple as knowing their email address associated with BN account. If that is the case we should be able to set up a system where "friends" can loan to other "friends" in the pool. What we would need to make sure is the ratio of books loaned out vs. being loaned to is 1:1 (otherwise someone could take advantage of the system). This would allow those like me who take more than 14 days to read a book to borrow the same book from 2 different people consecutively (extending the loan period to 28 days). This system could essentially double the amount of books you read for the money (and if that is the case, any Kindle Book pricing advantage goes away).

Any thoughts on implementation?

The real issue is how many publishers prohibit loaning. When they realize the implications, I suspect many of them will shut it down.
geneaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:49 PM   #17
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneaber View Post
I am not offended by the 1 loan limit, but question the 14 days. Often it takes me much longer than that to finish a book. I think that limit should be at least 30 days (if not eliminated).

What we need to do is figure out a way to set up a "market" for loaning books. It appears that loaning will be as simple as knowing their email address associated with BN account. If that is the case we should be able to set up a system where "friends" can loan to other "friends" in the pool. What we would need to make sure is the ratio of books loaned out vs. being loaned to is 1:1 (otherwise someone could take advantage of the system). This would allow those like me who take more than 14 days to read a book to borrow the same book from 2 different people consecutively (extending the loan period to 28 days). This system could essentially double the amount of books you read for the money (and if that is the case, any Kindle Book pricing advantage goes away).
Kind of complicated. Wouldn't it be easier to check it out from the library if you don't want to buy it?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 08:59 PM   #18
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by avwh View Post
I'll only be satisfied with a "one time loan" if it means all ebook publishers sign on to allow it - which they SHOULD, since it's not really going to hurt sales, with that limitation.
I am sure B&N is testing the waters here. They are in uncharted water and are playing it safe until they can see what happens. They can easily change the policy to allow more times later but cannot easily restrict it later. It is a break through feature IMHO and gets around the idea that only a paper book can be loaded to a friend. If you loan your paper book then you cannot read it until you get it back and I am sure this is the exact model they are looking for.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:07 PM   #19
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I don't CARE about the lending thing... It's not a feature that interests me at all. But B&N is getting a lot of traction with it, and I think there advertising is disingenuous. THAT I do care about.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:19 PM   #20
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I asked the following question on the Barnes & Noble eBooks Help Board

I received the following response

I canceled my order for a Nook. (Ok, that didn't sound right, maybe that's why marketing gave it that name. Who in their right mind turns down Nook?) For me it came down to
  1. No Lending
  2. Higher Book Prices
  3. No Folders/Tags
Wow! Thanks for the answer. Seems a bit restrictive and silly to me, not even worth the bother of putting it in.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 09:57 PM   #21
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Here's another answer to a question from a school librarian...now......if they had a Kindles, they would be registered to one account and there would be no problem sharing.......I wonder if BN thought this thru?

elisabetha wrote:

I work at a school library. If we buy a few nooks, will we be allowed to check out them out to students and faculty?

And on another note, is there a limit on how many times we could lend a particular ebook to a student using lendMe technology? Or can we lend it an unlimited amount of times, just not all at the same time?

thanks

Sorry for the delay, all.

Yes, eBooks may only be loaned one time, for a maximum of 14 days. If you lend a book but the person doesn't "accept" it, you may lend it again. But the limit is one successful lend per eBook at this time.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #22
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
I'm not "offended" by the limit on lending your books. I just think it's 100% WRONG to knowingly and deliberately mislead people. Burying something in fine print or an FAQ saying "well, what we said isn't really what we MEANT" is wrong.

They tout "lending" as a big selling point, but aren't being HONEST about it. That's what bothers me. I'm just getting really tired of businesses being dishonest (and yes, I view it as dishonest to say "You can lend your books" and then bury a disclaimer somewhere saying "but only once - forever!")

Then you add on the fact that they are trying to hide (or at least obfuscate) the fact that you can only "lend" if the publisher thinks you should be allowed to. More dishonesty.

I've been looking to upgrade my wife's sony 500, and this just helped ensure that I'll be going with the sony 600 instead of the Nook.

Last edited by junkml; 10-22-2009 at 10:26 PM.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:35 AM   #23
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I am sure B&N is testing the waters here. They are in uncharted water and are playing it safe until they can see what happens. They can easily change the policy to allow more times later but cannot easily restrict it later. It is a break through feature IMHO and gets around the idea that only a paper book can be loaded to a friend. If you loan your paper book then you cannot read it until you get it back and I am sure this is the exact model they are looking for.

Dale
Dale, your explanation makes sense. However, BN's lending policy at the moment seems to fly in the face of common sense...as kindlekitten so eloquently put it in an earlier post, what are you supposed to do, tell your new boyfriend, "Sorry Charlie, that book sailed a long time ago?", because you loaned it to your sister first?

I hope you're right, and they do expand it later, and I do completely agree with what you said about they can expand it, but having to restrict it later would hurt them much more.

We'll have to wait and see what happens.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:59 AM   #24
jedavis1
Zealot
jedavis1 doesn't litterjedavis1 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
My family have 3 Sony's. If this were a feature that I could impliment easily, and I was talking to my older son about a book and he was interested in reading it, I would say sure, click click. There you go. What am I supposed to do if my other son wants to read it? With the Sony's I have to strip DRM, connect each reader to my machine and then upload it. If I were in the market for new readers for my family and saw the lending feature, it really would be a deal-maker for me, but if I later found out that I could only ever lend the book to one person, I would be furious. I would make all kinds of noise on the internet sites, sell my nooks, then move to something else... I can see limiting it to 3,4 or a "few" times, but 1? If you find a really good pback book, you want to share it with everyone you know that reads... That is how favorite authors become more popular... almost always by word of mouth/lending of books... This is just dumb...
jedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:57 AM   #25
GJN
Guilty Bystander
GJN began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro, Kindle, iPad, and other gadgets
Did they indicate how many nooks can share one account? I don't recall seeing anything about that.
GJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJN View Post
Did they indicate how many nooks can share one account? I don't recall seeing anything about that.
With eReader DRM there is no limit. It is not device locked.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:39 AM   #27
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedavis1 View Post
My family have 3 Sony's. If this were a feature that I could impliment easily, and I was talking to my older son about a book and he was interested in reading it, I would say sure, click click.
Um, you can authorize 6 devices to your Sony account and to your Adobe ID. So, auth your whole family to the same account and all 3 Sony's can read the same ebook, with not DRM stripping at the same time.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:55 AM   #28
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
If you find a really good pback book, you want to share it with everyone you know that reads... That is how favorite authors become more popular... almost always by word of mouth/lending of books... This is just dumb...
The light over my head was so bright, it burned out my monitor nd I had to wait til this morning to replace it so I could reply.

My brother wanders down from the Alaska wilderness every few years and brings me a box of books he's finished. That's not a unique story, of course (well, maybe the "wilderness" embellishment), but last time he was down, in the box was a book by an author I had never read. When I finished that book, I went out and scrounged thru every used bookstore for a month until I had all 15 of his books so I could read them in order.

Yer absolutely right. It never occurred to me how many times a loaned book has resulted in my purchasing multiple books from a new-found author.

Lest we all observe that those books were all bought used, once I finish a batch of "new-author" used books, I always buy the next p-back new. And sometimes my wife buys me the hardbound for Christmas or birthday. I was also recently introduced to another author. I purchased probably 20 of his books from BN because apparently other folk like him, too, and hoard his books (the horror).

Loaning (and selling used) is good for new book business, so, yeah. If yer reading these threads, publishers, take note: "1 book 1 loan forever" just won't fly. Make it 5 times, and you'll see BN's competition scrambling instead of yawning.

And e-loaning is better because... let's see a show of hands from those who loaned out a book and haven't seen it since?

Last edited by eGeezer; 10-23-2009 at 12:08 PM. Reason: clear up some muddy water in my dissertation
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:38 PM   #29
jedavis1
Zealot
jedavis1 doesn't litterjedavis1 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Um, you can authorize 6 devices to your Sony account and to your Adobe ID. So, auth your whole family to the same account and all 3 Sony's can read the same ebook, with not DRM stripping at the same time.

BOb
Isn't that supposed to be 6 devices YOU/I own? If so, this gets into the same grey-area dilemma of lending a book that B&N is supposedly fighting...
jedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #30
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Isn't that supposed to be 6 devices YOU/I own? If so, this gets into the same grey-area dilemma of lending a book that B&N is supposedly fighting...
Yes, but he said he has 3 readers, mentioned his son. I was assuming the same household and that he probably bought/paid from them all, so does own them.

I certainly wouldn't authorize your reader for my account.

Also, the bottom line is that you can share ebooks with any other device or software, so being able to lend a book once to someone is more than you get elsewhere. I do agree though that B&N made more of this "feature" than is really there.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote