Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 07-20-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
tokay
tokay began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some help/input.

After much research, I bought an ez reader at Fry's. But, it seems to be having a few problems. Because I may be returning the device to Fry's, I do not want to make major changes, like different firmware downloads. If any of these problems are addressed by changing the firmware, it would be helpful to know. So far I have tried lit, html, pdb, pdf, doc and mp3 files. Not all the problems are consistent across all the formats, but certainly some of the problems have occurred in multiple formats.

Some of the things I have encountered:

It consistently does not remember where it left off, and actually loses the page it was last on. Instead of returning to the most recent page, it comes up on a previous page, then when i go forward, it skips the page it should have started on as if it does not exist. For example, should start at page 70, actually comes up to page 68, shows 69 finishing a sentence. Page 70 is mid-sentence because it is really page 71, page 71 onward are fine, just missing the real page 70. I have found a work around but it takes some maneuvering to finally regain the 'lost' page.

As for book marks, say I am reading along, come to the beginning of a chapter, bookmark it, then continue reading. When I go to the next page it's blank. The pages after are okay, and the page numbers are correct, but the page immediately following the book mark is blank. Again, I have to maneuver to regain the missing text on the blank page. If I leave the book and re-enter, it may function correctly, but I have also re-entered on page 70 with my bookmarks gone, possibly because they were all placed well past page 70.

Reading along, everything is fine, just using the page turn button on the side, when the device suddenly resets to the menu. (It actually shows Astak start page on occasion before the book menu.) Nothing was near any of the other buttons. Power level is fine. [I have drained the power to the last bar once while using an audio book.]

It takes a while to load a book I am returning to, & when finished, it shows a page of rectangles instead of text, like when a web browser tries loading a page written in a language the browser does not have a font for. Moving to other pages eventually clears this. [actually, even when it is a short text, this has happened, and sometimes it's more difficult to clear]

Zoom does not always seem to work, sometimes have 2 levels sometimes 3, once I got a significantly larger text while passing through the zoom options, but the same document has never returned to that size again.

Listening to the audiobook, which is divided into 2-3 minute segments for playback, most of the changes between segments are very noticeable due to some loss of sound. There are a few words missing from each file.

What I am wondering is, are these issues particular to my device, or are these issues common to EZReaders?
tokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
I've never heard of these errors before. Then again, I personally do not own an EZreader yet. I would take this post of yours, and send a copy to Astak's customer service. They'll help you for sure.

In the mean time, if someone has experienced any of these problems of yours, they'll post.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
This message must have fallen through the cracks somehow. I PMed RobertB to read this, and hopefully Tokay is still around.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
Cinnabar
Cinnabar began at the beginning.

I just got mine too, so I'm not the best person to ask, but do you have an SD chip, and does the problem happen when it's not in the slot?

Other people have had problems when there was something wrong with the battery, but it might not be so easy to test another one.

I haven't tried playing audiofiles, but does the same problem happen when you're reading and not playing anything?

(Oh, and I haven't had any of the problems you describe. They sure don't sound normal to me...)
Cinnabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:14 PM   #5
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have a EZreader and I have never had your issues. Does this happen with different books? Also what is the firmware version that you are using. I am not using EZreader firmware at this time. But I am waiting for the new firmware to become available.
I am using the latest lbook beta that has epub and mobi support of course not drm at this time.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
tokay
tokay began at the beginning.

Everything I have been reading is on the sd card. The card came with the ez reader containing the free ebooks. I will have to try some books without it. All the symptoms happen while not playing audio, except of course the one regarding an audio book. I do not use the audio while reading. The different formats have been different books that I loaded to the card plus one of the free ebooks that came with it. The firmware version is: v2.02astak.090421

I am still around, but will probably end up returning the reader to Fry's later this week, either for a refund, or possibly an exchange, if this behavior really is atypical of the product.

Thanks for the response.
tokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:45 PM   #7
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
The firmware that you have to my knowledge was never released to the public. You could try some of the other firmware that is available. Any firmware from the hanlin V3 clones will work.
Some of the newer beta software does not work with the ebooks that was in place when I first recieved my ezreader. EZreader and the others are moving away from mobi DRM to Epub is my understanding.
I would possible try another free ebook from a source here or on the internet and load it to your internal memory and see if you still have the same issue. Then more than likely if it does I would return it and ask for an exchange.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:51 PM   #8
Cinnabar
Cinnabar began at the beginning.

I'm very pleased with mine, if it broke, I'd go for the exchange, not the refund. But you need to decide what works best for you.
Cinnabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:00 AM   #9
mvoosten
Zealot
mvoosten began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Never had those problems.. but in order for others to help you better.. maybe you can post details on the type of ebook(s) you are reading regarding format (mobi, pdf, txt, fb2 etc..) and maybe even post an example file (without author rights offcourse!)
mvoosten is offline   Reply With Quote