Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #736
Nil Einne
Connoisseur
Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I mentioned this on the thread in the Kobo forums, might as well mention it here too. Seems that the Espresso is now officially out of stock on the Kobo site, they don't let you order it. Was still order-able when I was trying yesterday :-(

If you con the website it says
Code:
Some of the products are currently out of stock
This product is currently out of stock.
Nil Einne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #737
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
If they got 300,000 screens and divided the color evenly between the the 3 colors, then that means 100,000 were sold.

Somehow, I doubt that.

More than likely, Espresso probably had the least number of the other two and was the first to sell out from Kobo's site.

But hey! What do I know?! I don't work for them!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #738
Nil Einne
Connoisseur
Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I don't think this means it's sold out for good, I suspect more will be coming. It's just sold out/out of stock for now waiting for more stock to come. (They probably also need to reserve some of the current production for retail partners including outside the US, Canada, various places in EU where it launched.) It probably doesn't help that Kobo doesn't seem to have a good way of indicating estimated delivery date or keeping people up to date with their orders so most likely don't want to take orders too far in advance. (And even Google who had a slightly better system in place stopped taking orders for the Nexus 4 when the pre-order time was about 8 weeks.)

As for numbers, it's hard to say. From what I've seen Espresso seems to be the most popular, perhaps because it's somewhat unique yet isn't so bad as to be unappealing so that may be one of the reasons it sold out first.

In any case, I don't think the number of screens is really known, the 300k number seemed to came from the same source that said they were going to be for the Nook/B&N, which seems to be incorrect so I'm not sure how reliable that is, and there's no indication (or really any reason) to think eInk isn't still producing them. While Kobo have branded the reader as limited edition, it's not really clear what this means, if anything beyond marketing and the fact that it's an expensive device so they don't expect it to be their mainstream model and aren't sure of how well it will sell. (There is speculation it could be replaced in September-October but who knows?)

Last edited by Nil Einne; 05-03-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Nil Einne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #739
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
The brown coloring is applied to a shiny black plastic case. The insides/electronics are
all on one printed circuit board that is made to simply plop into the case and be secured
by a screw at each corner. I posted some pictures at:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=640
and
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=650

They could have many of the cheap plastic bodies made and apply color as they estimated the demand to be then do the final assembly in numbers that match whatever
was ordered.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 05-03-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #740
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
The brown coloring is applied to a shiny black plastic case. The insides/electronics are
all on one printed circuit board that is made to simply plop into the case and be secured
by a screw at each corner. I posted some pictures at:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=640
and
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=650

They could have many of the cheap plastic bodies made and apply color as they estimated the demand to be then do the final assembly in numbers that match whatever
was ordered.

Luck;
Ken

This idea of applied color:

I'm wondering how these will wear from constant use and holding.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how well plastic bodies wear? (The nearest thing I can think of is how rapidly my mouse wears - the one I currently use and the others that I've owned over the years. For example, the red color is considerably worn from my Microsoft mouse, whereas the lower black/shiny plastic area is still perfect.)

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #741
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's perhaps worth pointing out that the Kindle only shows you the "row of awful bestsellers" if you have the "Recommended Content" option turned on. Switch it off (Menu -> Settings -> Device Options -> Personalize Your Kindle -> Recommended Content) and you won't see them (or indeed any other form of advertising).
That's a trick which doesn't work with my android kindle app; I even contacted Amazon about it. Their response: "No one else has complained about bestsellers being displayed so removing them isn't on our list. If more people complain, we'll look into it."

Under Settings > Device Settings, the only option seems to be Volume Buttons Control.

Back to the Kobo Aura: The only aspect of the body that really bothers me is the pink power slider.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #742
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
This idea of applied color:

I'm wondering how these will wear from constant use and holding.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how well plastic bodies wear? (The nearest thing I can think of is how rapidly my mouse wears - the one I currently use and the others that I've owned over the years. For example, the red color is considerably worn from my Microsoft mouse, whereas the lower black/shiny plastic area is still perfect.)

Don
I have the impression that the coating is more than paint, but so would
have been the case with your mouse. Materials Science advances very
rapidly and it's hard to say how wear will effect the case.

I may still spray a reasonably thick coat of the tool handle stuff on the case,
for some added cushioning as well as a better grip. One thing about the
"Plastic Dip" product is that it can be peeled off, even after it has cured,
yet it can still function as a tool grip surface and is unlikely to come off as
you use the Aura HD.
--------------------------
On my 5th coat with 1 more to go. I'm giving it an hour between coats and it says
to wait at least 4 hrs before using what you have applied the coating to. So, my
cushioned, easy to grip Aura will then be black instead of brown, in about 5 hrs.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 05-03-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #743
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Back to the Kobo Aura: The only aspect of the body that really bothers me is the pink power slider.
The pink goes well with the brown!
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #744
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil Einne View Post
I mentioned this on the thread in the Kobo forums, might as well mention it here too. Seems that the Espresso is now officially out of stock on the Kobo site, they don't let you order it. Was still order-able when I was trying yesterday :-(

If you con the website it says
Code:
Some of the products are currently out of stock
This product is currently out of stock.
Espresso is showing in stock for me... http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/home/e...5536-item.html
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #745
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Espresso is showing in stock for me... http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/home/e...5536-item.html
It's out of stock when ordering directly from Kobo. Third parties will have whatever they had ordered for their stock of course.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #746
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Ironically, I'm on my 5th coat of "Plastic Dip" putting a black cushioned, easy grip surface
over my brown Aura HD.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 05-03-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #747
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Ironically, I'm on my 4th coat of "Plastic Dip" putting a black cushioned, easy grip surface
over my brown Aura HD.

Luck;
Ken
Odd that you didn't choose brown, considering your initial purchase.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #748
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Odd that you didn't choose brown, considering your initial purchase.
The local Home Depot only stocks the black spray cans. I could have gone
online and ordered the kit to mix your own Plastic Dip colors, but that would
have taken time and if I want I could peel the black off later and try a
different color.

Luck;
Ken
Old 05-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #749
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Ironically, I'm on my 5th coat of "Plastic Dip" putting a black cushioned, easy grip surface
over my brown Aura HD.

Luck;
Ken
Wow, that sounds interesting. Let us know your results.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #750
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Wow, that sounds interesting. Let us know your results.
I just put on the last coat, now I have to wait 4hrs until I can put the
Aura back together. I'll take some pics as well.

Luck;
Ken