Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #661
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Dear Author has a review of the Aura (he didn't like the Paperwhite, and is coming from a Kindle Touch).

He quite likes the Aura, but says that it treats side loaded books differently than it treats books downloaded directly from Kobo.
I can't help but say DUH of course it does, the same way Kobo always has. The two types of books go through different rendering engines; side loaded use the Adobe based engine, direct the ACCESS based engine.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #662
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I can't help but say DUH of course it does, the same way Kobo always has. The two types of books go through different rendering engines; side loaded use the Adobe based engine, direct the ACCESS based engine.
Being (till now and maybe from now on as well) exclusively Kindle user, this for me was a surprise + a valuable information in considering buying Aura. I couldn't have even imagined that and I am grateful to MR community that I know that now.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #663
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
No, I am not a UK expat but neither am I spanish, and I read in english. Kobo uses Paypal, but seemingly with localization so it does not allow me to access the UK, nor the US books database. Without jumping through hoops (VPN) and without lying (adress and/or bank details) I simply cannot buy the same books that I can buy with my amazon account without any tricks, and that's a fact.
aceflor, it turns out that you can change the localization without having to change the payment details! More precisely:
Quote:
Your address does not have to match what your billing address is, it doesn't even have to match your credit card address. I've been using my Dutch credit card on a fake UK address since forever with no problems at all
see here.
You can also set say a UK account to buy kobo books and gift them to your "real" account, so that any books get downloaded to it, while the UK based account is only used for the purchases, but not for the downloading of books.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #664
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Dear Author has a review of the Aura (he didn't like the Paperwhite, and is coming from a Kindle Touch).

He quite likes the Aura, but says that it treats side loaded books differently than it treats books downloaded directly from Kobo.
I guess the screen shots in that article were all of the kepub type of epub.
If so, I don't see any real problem with the format displayed by them.

I wish the same thing could be posted (somewhere) showing how sideloaded
epubs look and perhaps we could have a contest to establish the best tweak
parameters, with screen photos to show the results.

Having almost 10,000 ebook files to sideload, I am really interested in a good
way to produce readable ebooks on my newest toy (when it gets here). That
they look fine in Kobo's proprietary format, is both encouraging and very
annoying. If they are deliberately making it so that standard epubs display
poorly, to make their format preferred by Aura HD users, I will be very upset.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #665
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
In my experience with the Kobo Glo, that seems to happen much, much less so now that 2.5.1 has rolled out. (In fact, I can't remember seeing this happen in quite some time now.)
I've seen it happen in the past week, so I would have been running 2.5.0 or 2.5.1 on a Kobo Touch or Arch. I can't remember which, since I try to avoid letting such things bother me.
Advert
Old 04-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #666
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I guess the screen shots in that article were all of the kepub type of epub.
If so, I don't see any real problem with the format displayed by them.

I wish the same thing could be posted (somewhere) showing how sideloaded
epubs look and perhaps we could have a contest to establish the best tweak
parameters, with screen photos to show the results.

Having almost 10,000 ebook files to sideload, I am really interested in a good
way to produce readable ebooks on my newest toy (when it gets here). That
they look fine in Kobo's proprietary format, is both encouraging and very
annoying. If they are deliberately making it so that standard epubs display
poorly, to make their format preferred by Aura HD users, I will be very upset.

Luck;
Ken
Standard ebups display very nicely IMO. Better than on my other readers IMO, but this due I think mostly to the superior screen.

And you can send your books in kepub format as well if you want to using calibre.

You don't get the 'features' such as reading stats from within your book for an epub and some fonts may look better, although I don't think significantly better. and you can always get the stats etc. from the home page.

Kepubs also give you a chapter bar instead of page x of xxx and a title at the top but I prefer the epub format so far. It doesn't seem to me that Kobo has taken any thing away from epubs, they have just added some extras to kepubs, which personally I don't even want and certainly don't need

My biggest problem is with the time taken to load shelves. Much slower than Sony or Kindle with far fewer books and/or shelves so I would advise you to load your books a few 100 at a time and don't have any shelves with more than 20 books on them. If you do put on 10,000 books and have shelves for them I would be interested to know how long your shelves take to show up.

Overall though it is very nice, even if I don't really care for the case, the reading experience is great.

Helen

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #667
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I dunno - I find on my paperwhite the "x minutes left in chapter" to be surprisingly useful (but then, I do a lot of my reading at night before going to sleep.) I would miss that if I didn't have it.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #668
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I dunno - I find on my paperwhite the "x minutes left in chapter" to be surprisingly useful (but then, I do a lot of my reading at night before going to sleep.) I would miss that if I didn't have it.
Many people feel that way. Not me though, if I am sleepy I will even stop mid page

Helen
Old 04-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #669
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Standard ebups display very nicely IMO. Better than on my other readers IMO, but this due I think mostly to the superior screen.

And you can send your books in kepub format as well if you want to using calibre.

You don't get the 'features' such as reading stats from within your book for an epub and some fonts may look better, although I don't think significantly better. and you can always get the stats etc. from the home page.

Kepubs also give you a chapter bar instead of page x of xxx and a title at the top but I prefer the epub format so far. It doesn't seem to me that Kobo has taken any thing away from epubs, they have just added some extras to kepubs, which personally I don't even want and certainly don't need

My biggest problem is with the time taken to load shelves. Much slower than Sony or Kindle with far fewer books and/or shelves so I would advise you to load your books a few 100 at a time and don't have any shelves with more than 20 books on them. If you do put on 10,000 books and have shelves for them I would be interested to know how long your shelves take to show up.

Overall though it is very nice, even if I don't really care for the case, the reading experience is great.

Helen
Great news, as lazy as I am, I much prefer to not have to do anything to
my current files. Do you see much difference between how a screen full
of text looks in the photos of the "Dear Author" article and your sideloaded
regular epubs? Is there really a great deal more whitespace, in the regular
epubs?

Luck;
Ken

PS; Is there a notice that gives the Adobe Reader Mobile version #, it should
be v9.1.1 or greater
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #670
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
you do get that with Kepubs. Can't remember whether you also get this info for epubs, as those I sideload are all "kobified" (i.e. sent to my device whit the plugin that turns them into kepub).
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #671
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The "left in chapter" is specific to the kEpub reading engine, and not to the ePub engine.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #672
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankr View Post
I got mine yesterday. I would love it except the display has a few very bright spots that are very distracting when the light is on.
I've got one of these bright spots. Luckily, it's near the bottom of the screen (within 5mm) and I only notice it if I go looking for it.

I cannot figure out what causes it but obviously some defect somewhere...
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #673
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Can someone point me to the epub to kepub plugin for Calibre?
evanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #674
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Great news, as lazy as I am, I much prefer to not have to do anything to
my current files. Do you see much difference between how a screen full
of text looks in the photos of the "Dear Author" article and your sideloaded
regular epubs? Is there really a great deal more whitespace, in the regular
epubs?

Luck;
Ken

PS; Is there a notice that gives the Adobe Reader Mobile version #, it should
be v9.1.1 or greater
Mine are lile that so far. No extra space that I can tell. I do have the widow and orpahan thing in my preferances>common options>look and feel and had already done a massive reconvert when I got the Mini. Can make a huge difference.

p, body{
widows: 0;
orphans: 0;
}

I also find a difference depending on font,line spacing etc. On the Aura I have margins set like that review because I tend to read by the line or paragraph and without a margin it seems my eyes do not take in a whole line. Probably just not used to the physical width.

Another thing to watch for if this is your first Kobo is that some books have a large gap between line, converted lit and lrf files and some B&N books in my experience. Tweaking the Stylesheet.CSS or convert to mobi and back to epub again will fix this if you run into it.

I wasn't sure if I liked it at first, but now, after reading one book, and adjusting the settings, I think it delightful.

Helen
Old 04-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #675
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanft View Post
Can someone point me to the epub to kepub plugin for Calibre?
preferences>plugins>get new plugin>Kobo Touch extended